Stratologger CF now available with audio/LED port

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I JUST bought my StratologgerCF less than a month ago and this was not an option.

Just added three more SLCF's to my collection, I've been waiting for this upgrade for a month. Also bought the LED you can plug into the same socket. They sell the piezo buzzer separately, so when you melt the old one, you can replace it. Done that a few times.

I JUST bought my StratologgerCF less than a month ago and this was not an option.

I hear ya. I just bought a couple a few months ago. I have the external speakers installed on most of my AVbays for use with the old Stratologgers. Would have been nice to know this version was coming - I would have held off a few months.

Got my shipment in yesterday. The external speakers are larger than the old ones:
060.jpg

The new ones are designed to fit through an avbay bulkplate, and you can use either the new 2.5 Khz piezo speaker for the new CF or the older 4 Khz for the SL100. The speaker on the left is the old design for the SL100.

I also got a bunch of accessories for mounting and the new LED light that hooks up in the same audio jack.
059.jpg

These LED's are larger than I expected:
061.jpg

I just received my stratologgerCF from my local vender at last weekends launch. I wish I had known about the optional port. Puzzled as to why it is an option and not just make it standard. Is that port something that can be added later?

Not to worry, I will enjoy using the unit as is.

Later,
Rod

I just looked at a CF I purchased a month ago there are 3 holes where it looks like the port could plug in. Can this be purchased. My CF has the 3 holes on it that the Perfect Flite web site doesn't show on their CF.

Gary

Got my shipment in yesterday. The external speakers are larger than the old ones:
060.jpg

The new ones are designed to fit through an avbay bulkplate, and you can use either the new 2.5 Khz piezo speaker for the new CF or the older 4 Khz for the SL100. The speaker on the left is the old design for the SL100.

I also got a bunch of accessories for mounting and the new LED light that hooks up in the same audio jack.
059.jpg

These LED's are larger than I expected:
061.jpg

They've been out of the LEDs for a while now, toying with the idea of just fabbing up my own. How big around are they? Which two pins to they hook up to?

Does everyone's LED/Beeper exhibit the same behavior as the board-mounted beeper? Mine isn't... but I'm also using an aftermarket LED setup... But it worked fine on my SL100.. Hm.

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine in. I just ordered some yesterday, the first they've been back in stock in months (I've been checking every day since it hit their web store).

OK, update. I managed to get a few of the LEDs on a restock. They're 10mm around and HUGE. As in if you were to flush mount it next to a Schurter rotary switch, you'd have this LED zit sticking 1/4 of an inch out of the side of your rocket (measured a hole through a MadCow 4 inch tube with switch band). Not ideal.

I plan on trying to use smaller diodes, like 5mm or 8mm.

Any other Stratologger CFs that I buy, I'm not getting the pin header on it. Why pay the extra $2?

There are 3 pins:
1 Signal 3.3vdc logic
2 GND
3 + Battery Voltage

Pin 1 is closest to the word SWITCH as printed on the board.

The LED uses pins 1 and 2. The amplified beeper uses all 3.

I plan on cutting a regular RC servo extension harness in the middle and wiring it directly to the holes through the board. The other end I'll solder to the smaller 5vdc LEDs. That'll allow for disconnect.

YMMV

Last edited:
I just looked at a CF I purchased a month ago there are 3 holes where it looks like the port could plug in. Can this be purchased. My CF has the 3 holes on it that the Perfect Flite web site doesn't show on their CF.

Gary

I'm in the same boat as some others...ordered my SLCF mid-June and never got the option for the port. Looking at it, if someone knows the name of the port connection those of us without it should be able to solder one on lickety split. Truth be told, you can also just solder the wires directly to it, but then you lose the convenience of the plug.

So any electronics guys out there know the name of that port connector? I'd like to upgrade my SLCF.

Thanks!
Ken

Looks like they're 3-pin JST connectors.

IMG_1052.jpg

I get mine from Gateway Electronics in St. Louis, a surplus store.

Could probably get them off of the bay.

I got mine to work... Strange. I Tried every polarity, every combination of leads... Then I plugged in a premade JST/LED combo from another rocket of mine... and beep (blink) beep (blink)... Strange. At least it's working now!

Good find. I'm wondering if, to use the stock header, that issues with the keyway may come into play?

Thanks, but note that I'm not an electronics person and it was a guess from what I vaguely recall after looking for Eggfinder parts, so we should get someone to verify. Also note that those Ebay auctions are likely shipped from China, so it may take a month for it to arrive (price for the low cost).

Also note that I just tried to remeasure with calipers; however such small measurements are tough, so I measured across 3 holes and divided in half to get spacing between two holes and it actually looks to be 2mm. What it comes down to is that until someone else can confirm the connector or I get one in my hands, I'm not sure which it is since that's very little space difference between the two connectors we've talked about here. YMMV

Good find. I'm wondering if, to use the stock header, that issues with the keyway may come into play?

The keyway is there for a reason... To help maintain polarity. Mine worked just fine. I'll measure later to see if I can determine a measurement...

MIke

Also found this... YMMV.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493712

Again, I'll check tonight... Off to MWP!

Thanks Mike! Confirms that this can be very confusing! :wink:

FWIW - I took a look at the close-up pic of the SLCF with the connector (https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server...lNewTransp__88718.1439934559.1280.640.png?c=2), then measured the screen image of the unit as well as the port shown, figured out the percentage, multiplied that % by the actual SLCF unit length and came up where the port connector should be about 10mm (and the pins are ~2mm apart). I checked a 2S lipo charger I had on my desk and the port connector also measured 10mm, so it may be the same. Additionally, I have a new SLCF with the port option already being shipped to me, so I'll be able to confirm this week as well (and possibly solder in the connection myself).

Thanks for your patience folks...we're getting there! :grin:

Also note that port connector confirmation can be as simple as someone checking if the new amplified beeper connection can fit into a 2S lipo charge port (charger not plugged in of course!).

First thing I checked. 2S lipo connector is larger than the header on the CF board.

Update: I had emailed Perfectflite on Friday late nite asking about the port. I did this shortly after placing my recent order. My order got processed and shipped over the weekend; however Perfectflite Tech Support contacted me today apologizing for missing the message earlier, otherwise they could've added the parts into my shipment box (oh well, I figured the message may be missed due to the timing of the order).

Of note though is that Support mentioned that the first 2,000 SLCF boards didn't have the place for the connector, so only the more recent ones do. I'd guess if you're considering a conversion, you first must make sure your board is set up for it. Mine was since it was so close to the option launch (lucky me! lol) and I'd guess it's clear by the white bordered area for where the port would get soldered in (the area in this pic below the "CF"):

SLCFTopNewTransp__06500.1439934469.1280.640.png

Also Support noted that "you will also need to add a 0603 size surface mount resistor at R18 on the bottom"...this looks to be a really small resistor on the underside of the board (R18 is just to the right of the three port connection holes and the resistor is the same size as the others on the board such as R14 above the PF name):

SLCFBottNewTransp__70416.1439934581.1280.640.png

I've contacted Support back asking about the port connector type, but for now, if you want to do this as a DIY mod, you'll need: 1) the port connection (still trying to determine, but looks to be 2.0mm); 2) an 0603 size smt resistor; and 3) steady hands, a very fine tip soldering iron and a light solder touch. Those resistors are tiny and can fit on the head of a pin with room to spare. I'll update once I hear back, but for now I'll have to wait a bit to get the resistor and port connection and may end up just waiting to see if PF has a BF/Holiday sale and then ask for those parts in my special handling instructions when placing my next order.

Just wondering if you ever got the header and the resistor? 0603 is a form factor for a 1/10th watt resistor, so knowing the actual resistance of the part is also necessary to effect this 'upgrade'.

Back