How much room is there inside of a Mega Der Red Max?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings! I was thinking about purchasing a Mega Der Red Max. I was hoping it would have enough room inside of it to house several army men with parachutes for the kids to enjoy. Has anyone else ever tried this with a Mega Der Red Max? If it's not fesible does anybody have any suggestions of another model that would work for this? Thanks!

Never fooled with the mega max but 4 inches should be able to house a couple of 3 inch G I Joe type guys, or a whole squad of the little plastic Army Men, they wouldn't need big chutes. Leviathan is smaller diameter but plenty of length can probably get quite a few in there. I've had that idea rattling around as well but I was gonna use the small minions. Kiddos would probably like minions better.

Mike

As other have stated the body is 4" across and the "open" area is 13.5" deep. The nose cone is 19" from the back of the shoulder to the tip of the nose.

The only hesitation would be if the ejection charge would catch them on fire. Either way the 6 year old in me would love to see the video of the all the army men coming in for the attack.

Minions, would they be the normal minions or the purple haired ones from the first movie, or better yet that and build the rocket like the missile that El Nacho used. :)

Please let us know how it goes!
Thanks
Joe

Last edited:
Those are some big Army men! I would think at least 5 would fit in there. 10-15 of the regular sized ones, probably. Depends on your parachute, wadding/nomex, shock cord, etc.

I've got about 175 cubic inches of space in mine with the nose cone modification that John Coker does. An Army squad is 8 men, and I think I could fit all 8 in the MDRM with modded nose cone.

As other have stated the body is 4" across and the "open" area is 13.5" deep. The nose cone is 19" from the back of the shoulder to the tip of the nose.

The only hesitation would be if the ejection charge would catch them on fire. Either way the 6 year old in me would love to see the video of the all the army men coming in for the attack.

Minions, would they be the normal minions or the purple haired ones from the first movie, or better yet that and build the rocket like the missile that El Nacho used. :)

Please let us know how it goes!
Thanks
Joe

Does it matter? Minions is minions lol. The yellow ones of course, purple ones would most definitely catch fire with that wild hair. (And that was the second movie) I like the El Macho rocket idea though. Strap a rubber shark to it.

I've been using rubber para jumpers that are about 2 inches long in a Leviathan. I replace their parachutes with 6 or 9 inch ones cut from blue, purple, white, and red plastic store bags. I usually pack 6 or 8 of them, depending on how many I get back on any given day. I have used as many as a dozen. I admit to over building, since I make the parachutes from scratch and use cheap fishing swivels, but they're a blast when they come out, kids or no! I do different size parachutes so they come down at different rates and evoke the images of mass landings from the old WWII movies. Lotta fun! Did I mention that they'll scatter like crazy? Any wind at all and they're everywhere!

I wrap my jumpers in the nomex burrito separate from the parachute. In my smaller rockets, I wrap them in a small piece of cheap Estes ejection wadding and put them in on top of the parachute so they'll eject separately and not tangle the rocket chute.

Test your dudes for parachute sizing, as I found out that small dudes don't have enough mass to pull on the chute effectively enough to open it. If you're launching the larger figures, use OpenRocket or something else to sim the flight. Make sure they won't shift position on launch and mess with your CG/CP relationship on the way up, either.

Enjoy, it's always fun!

Lots of room in the MDRM. As long as you protect them from the ejection charge they'll be fine.

I'm betting you could get a platoon of LGAM in a MDRM, a whole C47's worth :) That would be a sight to see ;) Imagine what could be done with a 1/4 scale Patriot :D

None, if you're doing dual deploy with a 54mm mount....

None, if you're doing dual deploy with a 54mm mount....

What he said.

attachment.php

Wow, What motor was that? I want one....

According to the owner, it was a 54mm J research motor, VOL-2A configuration. It kicked it off the pad... then it let go and blew the back out the rocket.

Back