Estes QCC Explorer #3221

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blue board itself is the top skin for an RV-7 wing, and the airplane on the ground is a prototype 30cc Edge 540 running electric power.

I made the upper section a payload compartment with a ply disk in a coupler. I've flown multiple altimeters in there since it's a big compartment. If you do that, lengthen the shock cord. There's a lot more mass to snap back relative to just the nose cone if you do that.

Maybe you'll have your QCC to fly at the Raceway next weekend? I'll bring mine....

That's the plan, pushing to get it finished. Just needs the white paint done as the other parts are painted already.

Pretty sure the last coat of paint is on the body. While that's drying, I put my fly cutter to work and made a 1/8" bulkhead for the coupler. I recessed the bulkhead a small amount so I could put a glue fillet on both sides.

20150905_140212.jpg

20150905_142031.jpg

20150905_143524.jpg

I figured it would be easier to do the decals before installing the motor mount and bulkhead so the parts could stand up on their own. Then, in an ironic fashion, I had to lay them down anyway for a good photo.

20150907_104304.jpg

Almost at the finish line. The nose cone is attached to the av bay using two small self-tapping screws. The av bay holes were reinforced with some CA and a couple balsa blocks were glued to the inside of the nose cone to give the screws more meat to thread into. Clear coat goes on later today after it warms up outside.

20150908_092118.jpg

20150908_090433.jpg

Very nice! AV bay for DD, backup eject charge or just numbers?

I might have to build another one! I like the way you split the sections

I don't have an altimeter or DD equipment, but figured if I want to in the future, it's ready for it. I bet this thing would reach some impressive heights on a slow burn 24mm F motor.

I just ordered one of these and I'm really looking forward to building it. After almost a year and a half, do you have any thoughts on how it's held up, or things you might do differently if building this again?

I'm already considering adding a retainer ring to the engine mount and mod'ing the nozzle to attach to it, doing away with the engine clip completely.

this kit gave me fits... actually had to put it on back burner after 2 of the intakes twisted up (think it was due to being left out in un-insulated garage) so much that I can't use them. Trying to locate the balsa sheets again so I can rebuild them...

NICE Kit though, can't wait!

fm

I just ordered one of these and I'm really looking forward to building it. After almost a year and a half, do you have any thoughts on how it's held up, or things you might do differently if building this again?

I'm already considering adding a retainer ring to the engine mount and mod'ing the nozzle to attach to it, doing away with the engine clip completely.

I'm really happy with my QCC. If I were to build another one, I'd do the same mods as before and nothing else. Perhaps upgrade to a nylon parachute, since this kit is one to be proud of. Overall, no regerts.

hqdefault.jpg

The hardest part of this kit is the 4 intake/fin assemblies.....quite fiddley and tedious with sanding, filler, sanding. If you take the time to do them well, the effort is rewarded with a fantastic looking rocket.

I've got another one to build....a Secret Santa gift....the only changes I'll make:

1. 24mm retainer system.
2. Color matched nylon chute.
3. Ejection baffle system.
4. Shock cord upgrade w/ eyehook on baffle.
5. "Maybe" use higher quality paint than the usual Krylon.
6. Strengthen balsa intake/fin assembly with CA and/or Aerogloss.

I'm curious about using ejection baffles. I've never used one. It would seem to me that it adds more weight behind the CG on an already heavy model. Besides not having to use wadding or "dog barf", what are the advantages of a baffle system?

The first baffle.That I used was in My QCC. It mostly just makes things for me. If you build the baffle into the coupler, the added weight will be FWD of the CG and not have any negative effect on stability.

I can't recommend flying this on C or D motors. I like low'n'slow but that is too much of both on this airframe. I roll the dice and fly mine on BP E motors, so far so good. If i get around to getting a second one (possibly after QCC #1 CATOs), I'll put a 29mm mount and see how it is on an F15.

While smaller 24/40 loads are a possibility, (F-24, E-18) I plan to build my next one around the 24/60 F-35 loads.

Hmm... Now I'm starting to wonder if a 29mm MMT is an upgrade worth considering. I have a CTI Pro29 case, but so far I haven't bought any reloads for it due to their current market state. But I have bought some AT SU 29mm motors that I have yet to launch in other rockets. I don't have an AT reload case.

I've only flown mine on D12-5s and it seems to do well on those motors.

Upon reflection, I may have built a bit heavy on this one. I would not fly mine on a C-11 unless it was a calm day and has a tendency to arc over a bit and lose altitude on the D-12 in a moderate breeze. I still love it but wish that I had paid a bit more attention to weight and a bit less to finish during the build.

I'm curious about using ejection baffles. I've never used one. It would seem to me that it adds more weight behind the CG on an already heavy model. Besides not having to use wadding or "dog barf", what are the advantages of a baffle system?

Baffles make a great "shelf" to keep your laundry higher up during launch. It's fairly easy to replace the red coupler w a baffle on this model too. This model is a great kit to modify, as it's over-stable, and can handle alot of variations - stability is less of a concern on this kit.

Def, put the biggest engine in it, and adaptor down if needed!

https://user.xmission.com/~huxley/rockets/qccexplorer/index.htm

E9-6 Launch:
[video]https://youtu.be/LomOi0bYKdI[/video]

I'm curious why the OP decided to make a bulkhead vs using the coupler as a baffle. I have an "altimeter 2" and I'm pretty sure it doesn't need a dedicated payload bay - it can just hang off the shock cord, right?

Because it leaves more options open having a payload bay versus not having one. Another benefit is less area for the ejection charge to pressurize to separate the rocket.

Last edited:
Just a few short months and you'll be gluing them on the body! :p

Well, I do have to return to work on Wednesday for a week, but I'm quicker than that. 😉

They're almost completely assembled now. I should be applying filler tomorrow. 😁
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1484618972.218959.jpg

Back