Estes QCC Explorer #3221

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
I know this kit has been around for a while now, but the fun part about being a BAR is that everything since about 1995 is new to me! I was very excited to receive this kit as a Secret Santa present in July, and have been looking forward to digging into the bag.

20150823_113851.jpg

Here's what you get in the kit. Lots and lots of laser-cut balsa parts, a big nose cone and nozzle, and the usual assortment of rocket bits and decals. I'm seeing this kit priced under $20 online, and considering what you get, that's a terrific buy.

20150823_114651.jpg

First order of business is building the motor mount.

......and we're done with that. Moving on.

20150823_122155.jpg

Many people complain the QCC is hard to build...but as an airplane builder I expect you'll have no problems. It builds into a really good looking model which flies very nicely. Another great design from the mind/computer of John Boren.

I'll have to remember to bring mine to the next BEMRC launch.

I really found no tricky parts at all in the build, went right together for me.
Even if you put in the motor block, should still be able to fit an Aerotech 24/40 in there. It's a screamer on an E18 or F12! Very fun flights with those motors.
I just wish I thought ahead a bit more when I built mine, and used the short upper body tube as an avionics bay. I did convert it over eventually to do just that, just haven't flown it since.

-Hans

The intakes are 11 pieces of laser-cut, interlocking balsa sweetness. After deciphering the instructions "Straight Outta IKEA", I determined they really want you to fit the parts together, THEN add thin CA. Okay, makes sense. Too bad I hate thin CA and only think it's good for CA hinges on RC aircraft. Gap-filling medium CA is much less brittle (and, shocker, fills gaps too) so I used that instead. Even using medium, I didn't miss out on leaving a startling number of skin cells glued to the wood. Overall the intakes are beautifully engineered and go together well.

20150824_093656.jpg

So what's that silver thing on the left, you ask? That's a backriveting bucking bar! What's that? That's not important right now, what is important is that it is perfectly flat and weighs a couple pounds. Why is that important? Because my fins are currently wetted down and sitting under it in my attempt to get a pretty good warp out of them.

Lose enough skin building the intake? Nope? Good, let's do that three more times.

20150824_131119.jpg

I love that rocket so much, I had to upscale it

IMG_6212.JPG
can you see it on the table next to my MDRM?
here is one of her on the pad at LDRS34
LDRS34 004.jpg

She is a sweet rocket!

If I was to pick what is My favorite rocket it is the QCC explorer - based on seeing JJ 's upscale in New York - I am attempting a 3" upscale.
Can't wait to see your done!

Sweet upscale! I am just in the process of painting one right now, going to fly it in a few weeks on an E11J.

I actually used exclusively wood glue for the intakes because I can't stand bonding my fingers together with CA... Takes a lot longer to set up needless to say, haha!

Sweet upscale! I am just in the process of painting one right now, going to fly it in a few weeks on an E11J.

I actually used exclusively wood glue for the intakes because I can't stand bonding my fingers together with CA... Takes a lot longer to set up needless to say, haha!

I built mine wit nothing more than wood glue as well. After it got a hard knock falling off of its shelf, no joints were broken, I can't say the same for the fin and intake that it landed on though. It was up and flying that afternoon though.

I really enjoyed building this one. It certainly doesn't fall together, it is just challenging enough to give you some real satisfaction when you see the finished product.

Here's mine on an E18W....

QCC Launch.jpg
[/IMG]

That upscale is fantastic! I'm hoping to get some mid power experience with my PSII kits, then want to upscale one or two of my favorite LPR birds.

Eating my vegetables now. Lots of filling, sanding, and parts prep.

20150825_152330.jpg

20150825_134210.jpg

Many people complain the QCC is hard to build...but as an airplane builder I expect you'll have no problems. It builds into a really good looking model which flies very nicely. Another great design from the mind/computer of John Boren.

I'll have to remember to bring mine to the next BEMRC launch.

I was wondering if this was one of John's. I just took delivery of another one of his designs. Now that one, will be an interesting build.

I was wondering if this was one of John's.

Except for the Rogue Voyager that Mike Z. did, the Orange Launch Pad and the prototype Up Scale Sprint that Mike Z also designed, every new builder kit, building tool, display stands, new plastic parts for the ARF and E2X line, motor retainers and launch controllers that have come from Estes in the past 5+ years have been designed by me. The Estes R&D department is a department of one person. Hopefully you will enjoy future kits coming out in the upcoming years.

John Boren

Even more prep work on the intakes. I'm currently mulling over whether to prime them separately or attach them to the body tube first.

20150827_113319.jpg

Attach first, that way you don't potentially goof up the glue joint to that body tube

Attach first, that way you don't potentially goof up the glue joint to that body tube

Newbie question; I assume this is kind of the correct "way of things" if you will, with finishing? To always build prior to any priming, painting, etc? I'm completely new to the finishing thing and am getting ready to move from E2X to Level 1+ with balsa fins and unfinished pieces. My plan is to sand and seal the balsa parts (fins). For ease and convenience, is it recommended to sand, seal, sand, seal, etc. balsa parts PRIOR to gluing to the BT, or after? It seems like it'd be a pain to sand if they were already attached to the BT. Thanks in advance!

Newbie question; I assume this is kind of the correct "way of things" if you will, with finishing? To always build prior to any priming, painting, etc? I'm completely new to the finishing thing and am getting ready to move from E2X to Level 1+ with balsa fins and unfinished pieces. My plan is to sand and seal the balsa parts (fins). For ease and convenience, is it recommended to sand, seal, sand, seal, etc. balsa parts PRIOR to gluing to the BT, or after? It seems like it'd be a pain to sand if they were already attached to the BT. Thanks in advance!

AFTER!!!! AFTER!!!! AFTER!!!!

The glues don't adhere well to painted/primed/ or sealed materials

I would cover the bottom of each air intake pod or what ever you wish to call them with a piece of masking tape each time you spray a coat of primer on them. This way your main gluing surface will still be wood. You can putty, sand and spray additional coats as needed. Just remove the tape when sanding and reapply before the next coat. It will make the finishing job much easier.

John Boren

I decided to prime the intakes separately. Easier to get into the nooks and crannies while they are off the body tube. Also starting to lay color down on the other parts. Going for the stock color scheme. I cut the launch lug into two pieces and glued them to the body tube - I strongly prefer two lugs on a larger model like this one.

20150828_141445.jpg

20150828_141434.jpg

AFTER!!!! AFTER!!!! AFTER!!!!

The glues don't adhere well to painted/primed/ or sealed materials

Awesome, thanks. I figured as much. It makes sense, I just wanted to ask the experience prior to tackling the new learning curve :) Thanks again

All four intakes are on and some small wood glue fillets are drying now. The only question remaining is whether to set up the shock cord stock, or screw the upper body tube to the nose cone and have the rocket separate at the coupler. I can make a lite-ply bulkhead for the coupler no problem, but need to decide whether I will actually do an altimeter or dual deploy with this rocket.

20150904_170518.jpg

I don't know about dual deploy, but it sure goes high enough to justify an altimeter. I wish I built mine with a bulkhead at the original coupler. Had to chop mine and add another coupler to convert it.

Even if you never fly with electronics, I'd still build it to separate at the coupler. At the very least it will help with deployment due to the smaller volume to pressurize.

Back