Lipo question about over current protection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbdm

Rocketry Tourist
Reaction score
Novice LIPO question... want to make space in my two stages rockets bays... so considering replacing the 9v batteries with Lipos.

From the forum, I have an understanding of the lipos to buy but want to ask about over current protection.

I see some smaller lipo (3.7v) stating "Battery includes built-in protection against over voltage, over current, and minimum voltage."

Larger lipo (v7.4) don't state the over current protection.

How you build/buy in the over discharge current protection, don't burn my stratologgers or start a fire?

PTC's are available to be wired inline with the battery or search for the thread about lipos and the RRC3.

Also the 9v Energizer Lithium Advanced have a max 5A ptc in them and they weigh about an ounce ( 30 grams or so ). I use them with my Missleworks RRC3's.

My $0.02 advice, might be worth less.

Do not use an active protection device on a altimeter battery. Here is my order of priority as far as protection goes.

1. Protect the rocket and safety of flight (way #1)
2. Protect the altimeter. Only if there is no compromise on #1.
3. Protect the battery. Batteries are cheap

If it were me I would just take care and avoid a short on the output.

If you must use a PTC put in the pyro output circuit not the supply circuit. This keeps voltage to the altimeter in a short situation and keeps the altimeter from browning out. This way you will still get the second programmed event. Make it slow acting so at least any pyro has a chance to fire before clamping down the current.

Back