Fins for a 5.5" dia rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
Looking to build a large but super light weight rocket.

Loc Precision parts
Titebond II and Moulding trim
Thing CA (super glue)
5 Min epoxy

Other items will be nomex, one bad hawk recovery, chute pending weight.

It'll be 38mm power. Why you ask. It's cheap but packs a punch. If I get the build right this will fly on anything from a 3G plus.

I may add the motor mounts as an option to cluster. Perhaps 4x 29mm.

Thinking of using a 5.5" long nose cone. Sporty looking.

My issue is the fins. Size, shape, style, number.

I'm hoping to have Nate from UpscaleCNC make me the bits. Inc rings so might get lucky and be able to have this all interconnect. This maybe saving more weight as less glue will be needed.

So what fin design

Clipped Delta is a classic. Reasonable in terms of performance. Also no extended rear edge to take a landing hit.

Clipped delta is indeed a classic design and very practical. I also like Nike-style fins, and if you're going to have them custom cut, perhaps you could get a hint of the profile as well.

I made a video on built-up Nike fins, which might give you some ideas. More recently I've been using CNC cut profiles to make the fins easier and more consistent. Perhaps UpscaleCNC could make you some profiles such as I made for my Aerobee or Iris.

Let's make it a party; I also immediately thought clpped delta. The second thing I thought was honeycomb panel. You can get really amazing strength and stiffness for astonishingly little weight that way. Of course, the price is not so tiny...

Latest posts

Back