The Wright Stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
I just finished reading David McCullough's outstanding biography "The Wright Brothers". If you are a fan of flight or aircraft, or love stories about persevering in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds, then this book is for you. I knew a little about their history—read books in middle school , visited Kitty Hawk NC, and seen the "The Flyer" on display at NASM—but the author brings to life about what these men were like and what it took to make it happen.

WB.jpg

Greg

I read it a few months back. Pretty good.

But sorta wanted more. Maybe so many of the other books covered other things to the extent that he went for areas that had not been covered so well before. More personal than technical, and I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting.

Still, VERY glad I read it. That plus "The Martian" are the only two books I've read in a long time.

Oh, forgot I did read "Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut" , by Mike Mullane a few months ago. A friend had it, I saw it, and he let me borrow it. I liked that too. Interesting how the first class of "shuttle" astronaut recruits (1978 - NASA Group 8 – TFNG (Thirty-Five New Guys)), the guys had so much lack of respect for the female astronauts (as well as pilots having disdain for non-pilots/civilians). But they changed their tune.

And his stories about Judy Resnick just reinforced my belief that she was the best female of any nation to fly into space, up until, and incredibly enough DURING, the Challenger accident.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0743276833/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

- George Gassaway

Last edited by a moderator:
Back