source for JT-80C?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I'm looking for a source of the JT-80C coupler/ring fin to allow me to properly clone the Hyperion and Manta Bomber. As its diameter and finish aren't the same as the standard BT-80 coupler, I'm reluctant to simply cut down a coupler to make it (though I will if I have to). It does not appear that the part is available from Semroc/eRockets, which I find somewhat surprising. And the 2.55/2.50 diameters don't match anything that BMS sells. Does anyone know of a vendor that makes this part, or am I stuck being "close enough" with standard coupler?

I just checked the JT-80C from Estes against the BMS C80. The JT-80C is ID 2.47, OD 2.55 and the BMS C80 is ID 2.474, OD 2.554 . That's only 4 thousandths of an inch different.

Last edited:
I hope that helped. Otherwise you'll just have to see if Estes sells the JT-80C as part of the large coupler pack.

I just checked the JT-80C from Estes against the BMS C80. The JT-80C is ID 2.47, OD 2.55 and the BMS C80 is ID 2.474, OD 2.554 . That's only 4 thousandths of an inch different.

Same tubes, BMS just listed the dimension to the third decimal point.

According to the Estes Tube Reference by John Brohm, the appendix that deals with the JT-80C states that it has a 2.55 OD and a 2.50 ID. Even if the OD is only .004" off or just carried out to the third decimal place, the ID is off by .026" - again, not huge, but I know that some folks here are very, um, specific about the accuracy of their clones. I'd be surprised if that sort of individual would fuss over having a molded vs balsa nose cone, yet not care about having the correct tube. Anyway, I was asking about it with regards to its use as a ring tail, in which case, its glassine finish is also helpful for finishing. A typical coupler isn't going to paint up as nice without a bit more work. That those numbers make it a bit thinner walled than the typical coupler - even if you wouldn't spot the difference in diameter, you would see the difference in wall thickness.

I gathered my info from the Estes catalog. It's an original scan. I can email it to you if you like. Just give me an email to send it to.

According to the Estes Tube Reference by John Brohm, the appendix that deals with the JT-80C states that it has a 2.55 OD and a 2.50 ID. ...

The remark you refer to in the Appendix entry for JT-80C was provided in the context of how the part was listed in the typo-prone 1974 Parts Catalog (the best example of egregious typos are the BT-52 dimensions); the remark wasn't meant as the actual specification of the part.

We know that the original JT-80C was indeed a slip fit inside BT-80, as any good coupler should be. We also know that it was a thin walled tube (0.021", I believe). Knowing the OD for BT-80 (2.6"), then its ID has to be 2.558", manufacturing tolerances set aside. The original JT-80C having a wall thickness of 0.021" means that its ID has to be 2.516", manufacturing tolerances set aside.

JT-80C was also only 1" long; one could argue that length wasn't the best for it to be used as a coupler, although it made sense in the Saturn V application. To your point, it was its glassine finish that made it perfect for those tail ring applications. Why Estes used it for a tail ring as opposed to say, a 1" length of BT-80, is anyone's guess, but I imagine it was because they had a bunch beyond the K-36 kit run, and so engineered it into follow on kits to use it up. Just a speculation on my part.

To my knowledge, any JT-80 made today is much longer and thicker walled, and generally better suited for use as a coupler. Those original JT-80Cs are hard to come by unless you pirate an old kit, which in my mind makes kits like the older Super Big Bertha susceptible, because frankly a Super Big Bertha would better joined by a heavy duty JT-80 coupler than with the old JT-80C. So look for an old Super Big Bertha, scavenge the JT-80C for your ring tail clone, and you're still left with a great kit (the Super Big Bertha) to build, no one the wiser about the internal coupler.

To my knowledge, any JT-80 made today is much longer and thicker walled, and generally better suited for use as a coupler. Those original JT-80Cs are hard to come by unless you pirate an old kit, which in my mind makes kits like the older Super Big Bertha susceptible, because frankly a Super Big Bertha would better joined by a heavy duty JT-80 coupler than with the old JT-80C. So look for an old Super Big Bertha, scavenge the JT-80C for your ring tail clone, and you're still left with a great kit (the Super Big Bertha) to build, no one the wiser about the internal coupler.

IIRC, the Maxi Alpha 3 used the JT-80C as well. Does the current Maxi Alpha 3 still use an old-style JT-80C? If so, it'd be easier to find than a Super Big Bertha, although it'd still be an expensive proposition to get a bunch of JT-80Cs that way.

It was in the Maxi Alpha (#1291) and in the Maxi Alpha III (#1321), but I've not bought the new MAIII so I couldn't comment. As for an excuse to buy another kit, I think this is as good as any!

It was in the Maxi Alpha (#1291) and in the Maxi Alpha III (#1321), but I've not bought the new MAIII so I couldn't comment. As for an excuse to buy another kit, I think this is as good as any!

Clone the MAIII the new one is crap with the plastic fin units, but it does use a short section of coupler listed on the parts list as.....JT-80C.

Back