Mercury Redstone 24mm Upgrade?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I finally got the Liberty Bell 7. Its only rated to 200ft. Nice and all, but I'd like about 400 or 500. Whats the con for upgrading the mmt to 24mm?

I'm also looking at using the kit to build the Redstone and the Jupiter C.

I guess its a matter of stability. Is there enough margin in it to add weight to the tail? I'm guessing nose weight would be in order, the scale-line fins seem smallish. Unless that capsule assembly is real heavy already...

Or use D10-5 or D21-4 from valuerockets.com.... No mods required.

I just picked one of these up last night at Hobby Lobby. A little over $15 after sales tax with the obligatory 40% off "coupon" on my phone....

Or use D10-5 or D21-4 from valuerockets.com.... No mods required.

I just picked one of these up last night at Hobby Lobby. A little over $15 after sales tax with the obligatory 40% off "coupon" on my phone....

I did this, also, except I used an AeroTech RMS D13-4W. I had to use masking tape instead of the red cap for the BP charge since it was a little too large to fit into the thrust ring.

It was a beautiful flight. And I got hooked on APCP.

Hello, my name is Greg ...

I think that 24mm case is 9.25 inches long so it would fit into the Redstone's body tube. Just need enough room to pack in some wadding and a streamer. A G65 burning for two and a quarter seconds, getting all that stinking nose weight a movin' on up then an 8 second delay. WHY WE WILL BE ABLE TO GO TO THE MOON WITH TECHNOLOGY LIKE THAT!

I like the 18mm D motors for models that I mistakenly built with an 18mm mount. In general, if I could go 24mm, I would do that.

I converted the Mercury Redstone with the plastic fins that Estes put out a years ago to 24mm and it fly's great. I didn't ad any nose weight but did use the scale paper wraps that are available on line. I haven't flown it in a few years but I think the motor of choice was D12-5.

I finally got the Liberty Bell 7. Its only rated to 200ft. Nice and all, but I'd like about 400 or 500. Whats the con for upgrading the mmt to 24mm?

I'm also looking at using the kit to build the Redstone and the Jupiter C.
I converted mine to 24mm using the stock motor mount parts except for the tube and hook. That way, the fins still clip into the mount as designed. I used a cad program to print out some templates and glued them on the plastic rings. Then I enlarged the holes for the BT-50 motor tube.

Here's a write-up on it.

HTH.

Doug

I think that 24mm case is 9.25 inches long so it would fit into the Redstone's body tube. Just need enough room to pack in some wadding and a streamer. A G65 burning for two and a quarter seconds, getting all that stinking nose weight a movin' on up then an 8 second delay. WHY WE WILL BE ABLE TO GO TO THE MOON WITH TECHNOLOGY LIKE THAT!

Yup, 9 1/4 inches long: https://www.pro38.com/pdfs/Pro24_dimensions.pdf

What an intriguing idea.......!

Yup, 9 1/4 inches long: https://www.pro38.com/pdfs/Pro24_dimensions.pdf

What an intriguing idea.......!

I talked to my friend with that awesome case. He put his upscale Big Bertha with a long streamer to over 2,800 feet with one an almost lost it, so I bet a Redstone packed with nose weight could go higher. He said I was crazy for even thinking of such a thing. But then he said it would be a cool "scale" flight. Maybe on a calm morning out on the grassland.

Back