• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for 2-56/4-40 hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone would be willing to help a fellow rocketeer out.

I am looking for some brass 2-56 nuts. I know I can get them from McMaster but I hate to order just the nuts and money is a bit tight to order much else. And I don't want any shipping charge surprises. I have a few pieces of brass rod I can tap to make nuts but thought I would check here first.

I could also use 2-56 or 4-40 standoffs, the lighter the better, preferably 2-56. Nylon would be great.

I am willing to trade comparable items. I have 2-56 nylon machine screws for shear pins (they a little long but are easily cut); plastic rivets; 2-56, 4-40, 6-32 misc stainless hardware (machine screws and nuts); 1/16 styrene rod (shear pin material).

Thanks folks.

Mike

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone would be willing to help a fellow rocketeer out.

I am looking for some brass 2-56 nuts. I know I can get them from McMaster but I hate to order just the nuts and money is a bit tight to order much else. And I don't want any shipping charge surprises. I have a few pieces of brass rod I can tap to make nuts but thought I would check here first.

I could also use 2-56 or 4-40 standoffs, the lighter the better, preferably 2-56. Nylon would be great.

I am willing to trade comparable items. I have 2-56 nylon machine screws for shear pins (they a little long but are easily cut); plastic rivets; 2-56, 4-40, 6-32 misc stainless hardware (machine screws and nuts); 1/16 styrene rod (shear pin material).

Thanks folks.

Mike

I can get them by the singles at a local hardware store. If you can't, let me know what you need and I'll send them to you. I'm also placing an order with mmc soon, if you can wait, maybe I can just grab what you need and forward it on.

I get most of my fasteners from Ace hardware. You'd be surprised what they carry.

I get most of my fasteners from Ace hardware. You'd be surprised what they carry.

Me as well. Really surprising what an Ace or True Value hardware store carries. If you have one nearby it's definitely worth a visit, or ten :).

The 2/56 nylon stand offs are rare.. found some online. The 4/40 nylon standoffs i can grab in 10 packs off ebay for $5

Kenny

I can get them by the singles at a local hardware store. If you can't, let me know what you need and I'll send them to you. I'm also placing an order with mmc soon, if you can wait, maybe I can just grab what you need and forward it on.

No need to go out of your way to buy any, but if you do happen to have 4 or 5 brass 2-56 nuts laying about that you could drop in an envelope and send this way, well that would be great. I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the input and suggestions guys. From amazon they are crazy expensive, at least the ones I can find are. There is little variety with local hardware stores. We have no Ace or TruValue anywhere nearby. There is one hobby shop about an hour away but they didn't have any last time I checked. Lowes does carry 4-40 brass nuts in 3 packs but I was wanting 2-56. I may have to go with 4-40. Just thought maybe someone may have had 4 or 5 laying about that they could spare. It's not "mission critical" and I'll come up with something until I can get me a decent order for Macmaster, I'm kinda gun shy about their shipping and can't see paying 5 or 6 dollars shipping for a 3 dollar product.

Thanks,
Mike

Do they have to be brass? I know a place that sells stainless screws,nuts, etc for a really fair price online.

Dittos to that. Our local one in Fort Collins is pretty good, and the one in Loveland, about 10 miles from me, is just downright amazing. It is also the store I found an Estes Saturn 1B kit about 10 years ago, up on the top shelf in the Kitchen section, right above the Rubbermaid products! They apparently sold off all their model rocketry inventory, and this one somehow lingered on in the store. (I paid $39 for it ...)

Do they have to be brass? I know a place that sells stainless screws,nuts, etc for a really fair price online.

Yes, they need to be brass so I can solder them. I have some stainless ones but have yet to successfully solder anything stainless. I may can JB weld a stainless one and see how that works

Ruby Red liquid flux.

Will work, I solder nichrome with it. Lists stainless as usable also. Get anywhere or Mac car . 5-6 bucks
Google for details.

So the Ruby Red...is that the RubyFluid? 16oz for 4.28 at Mac Car? If so: "Rubyfluid—Causes solder to flow in a thin film to create strong joints with minimal solder use. Product cannot be sold in California, Louisiana, or Vermont." Interesting, Louisiana is never on such lists. The "Liquid for Stainless Steel" is much more expensive. And would I need silver solder?

Back