Rocketry Planet Archives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman001

Reaction score
From time to time I see something about the old Rocketry Planet tech tips and article's being archived. Did this every happen? Was anything ever worked out with Darryl's estate, or son to save this material, or is it lost forever? I know some of the old mods are now on this site, any info?

Mike

A group worked on this plan, but I do not think it come to fruition.

Thanks for the update CW. Some of the article's and builds were very good, too bad we seem to have lost them.

Mike

Gents, as one of the three moderators of of RP I would be happy to explain, but am doing yard work now. Thinking honestly of writing a couple of articles for rockets magazine- one sort of what happened with RP, and possibly a second one about Darrel and his contributions to the hobby.

Mark, I personally think a rocket-oriented bio of Darrel is a great idea. Maybe make it a 2-parter with the RP info rolled in? But, obviously you're the one who would spend his valuable time so you should do what you you feel is appropriate given the info you have available. I really liked the bios in Extreme Rocketry. Don't know if Darrel was ever interviewed.

It would be a good idea. Rocketry online, RP, info Central are all sorely missed.

If anyone has an archive, I am willing to host it. I may not even be legal.

There are a variety of issues around this. It is complicated, and would take time to explain/type.

Mark, I personally think a rocket-oriented bio of Darrel is a great idea. Maybe make it a 2-parter with the RP info rolled in? But, obviously you're the one who would spend his valuable time so you should do what you you feel is appropriate given the info you have available. I really liked the bios in Extreme Rocketry. Don't know if Darrel was ever interviewed.

To the best of my knowledge he never was interviewed. It is likely a project I will take on as a memorial to a friend, and a friend and considerable contributor to the hobby.

That said it will likely be a winter project as I am working a lot for the next couple of months.

I never met him, but talked to him a lot. He was a fund of knowledge and a great guy to work with.

From time to time I see something about the old Rocketry Planet tech tips and article's being archived. Did this every happen? Was anything ever worked out with Darryl's estate, or son to save this material, or is it lost forever? I know some of the old mods are now on this site, any info?

Mike

Have you ever used the "Way Back Machine" at archive.org?

Just go to archive.org, and in the top middle, where it says enter a web address, just enter the web address you need, in this case, https://www.rocketryplanet.com

Next, choose a suitably old enough date....I chose 2011 up top, and then went for a random date and was able to read pretty much everything I clicked on (but not anything in the forums).

HTH!

I got to launch with Darrel some back when he was in the Dallas area at the old DARS HP site out near the Allen water tower, before he created his web sites. A good man.

Looking forward to any articles about him.

There is always the possibility it will return as a static site and memorial. Any one have a back of info-guide?

There is always the possibility it will return as a static site and memorial. Any one have a back of info-guide?

Info central was Darrel's creation alongside ROL. He sold it to I believe it was Rocketeer Media ( the Extreme Rocketry Mag guy) in a package deal. Later he sold it to Kevin Trojanowski. He sold it along with TRF.

Info central was Darrel's creation alongside ROL. He sold it to I believe it was Rocketeer Media ( the Extreme Rocketry Mag guy) in a package deal. Later he sold it to Kevin Trojanowski. He sold it along with TRF.

Yup. I knew the history. It was sad they decided to cannibalize the domain and not use the site.

Gents, as one of the three moderators of of RP I would be happy to explain, but am doing yard work now. Thinking honestly of writing a couple of articles for rockets magazine- one sort of what happened with RP, and possibly a second one about Darrel and his contributions to the hobby.

That would be so awesome! And very much appreciated. When i got back into rocketry (high power) in 2000, I spent many hours on Info Central! I have all the parts and his instructions to build the modified Estes Honest John (38 mm version). Need to get on that.
NikeMikey

Darrell Mobley introduced me to the world of rocket forums. He died much too soon and he was my dear friend who I never met.

Screenshot (3).jpg

I did copy off a few RP articles that I felt were valuable to me, in .pdf format.

Greg

Back