McMaster Carr order... What do I need?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So I'm placing an order with McMaster Carr...
Getting Eye-Nuts and sheer pins for sure (2-56 nylon screws, 1/2")
I'm just trying to make sure I order everything I might need from McMaster before I order [insert gripe about MMC shipping here].
So, help me out!
What else could I order from MMC before I order to make the order more worthwhile...

Weld nuts, PEM nuts, stainless allthread rod, locknuts, folding chairs (yes... really)

(but no matter how hard you try, you will remember 'just one more thing' 22 seconds after you hit place my order :p )

MMC is great but I've been searching and buying same items on eBay. As long as I'm in no hurry, I buy items with free shipping.

standoffs (plastic or metal)?
spacers to run threaded rod through
heat shrink tubing, if you don't have some
u bolts
ultimate darkstar

I'm big on nylon 2-56 and 4-40 bolts, washers, nuts and stand-offs for assembling my AV bays. Weld nuts might be useful, but I've taken to just modifying the T-nuts from Home Depot.

I'm big on nylon 2-56 and 4-40 bolts, washers, nuts and stand-offs for assembling my AV bays. Weld nuts might be useful, but I've taken to just modifying the T-nuts from Home Depot.

GMTA ! I get alot of mileage out of T-Nuts , but doing the opposite on standoffs. Have been using 2/56 & 4/40 nylon standoffs with standard screws .

Kenny

Pem nuts, all thread both stainless and aluminum, u bolts, quick links, screws washers and nuts of various sizes, nitrile gloves, a organic vapor rated respirator (for dust and epoxy vapors).

Erik,,
I think 1/2" is too long for 2/56" Nylon shear pins...
The length is good in that after the flight you have a long stud
on the inside to grab and spin to remove it...
But it's bad in that if your tight in the av bay you can screw one into something you'r rather not..
And I've also had chute shroud lines get caught / pulled a bit on those long studs protruding into the nose cone shoulder....
I just bought shear pins and I got 1/4" long ones...

Teddy

All this talking about hardware gets me stoked to get into HPR! I'm still in the super-new LPR Model phase :) I must be patient...

All this talking about hardware gets me stoked to get into HPR! I'm still in the super-new LPR Model phase :) I must be patient...

Screw patience... I just got back into rocketry a year ago. In one year, I got my level 2, and I'm headed for level 3. If I can, anyone can.

Erik,,
I think 1/2" is too long for 2/56" Nylon shear pins...
The length is good in that after the flight you have a long stud
on the inside to grab and spin to remove it...
But it's bad in that if your tight in the av bay you can screw one into something you'r rather not..
And I've also had chute shroud lines get caught / pulled a bit on those long studs protruding into the nose cone shoulder....
I just bought shear pins and I got 1/4" long ones...

Teddy

Thanks Teddy! Never thought about things getting caught because on both of my rockets where I use sheer pins, they're enclosed, away from the laundry (which, of course, includes OneBadHawk harnesses!)

...try and make sure what you're getting is coming from the same warehouse or you pay shipping from more than one place...I know, learned the hard way...

Good point... How would I know?

Ask I guess. I've only had one order with them for O1 Drill tool steel rods for launch rods. The three rods came from two places, doubling my shipping. It's a good thing the 6' shipping tubes are the right size for 2" and 3" motor mount tubes ;)

What I always do is place everything in my cart, and then call McMaster. They can tell you shipping cost and tell you if there will be any surprises. :)

Ask for a copy of McMaster-Carr's latest catalog... it is the adult equivalent of the old Sears Christmas catalog. Toys TOYS TOYS!

Last edited:
...try and make sure what you're getting is coming from the same warehouse or you pay shipping from more than one place...I know, learned the hard way...
Why does it matter? Do you cancel stuff from one place and not order if the order is split or just suck it up?

I have never experienced this problem. Somewhere around 15-20 Mc-C orders in my HPR life.

--Lance.

Also keep in mind that they determine what shipping method is used, and they don't inform you of shipping costs until the order is shipped. Earlier this year, I ordered about 35 feet of fiberglass tubing for a Ham radio project, and it was shipped by LTL freight, which cost about $70. They ship amazingly fast though. I made that order at about 6:30 in the morning, it was shipped at about 9:00am that day.
i would recommend adding a steam whistle to your order.

Throw in a pair of Knipex snap ring pliers. You will eventually get some snap ring cases and will need them sooner or later.

Why does it matter? Do you cancel stuff from one place and not order if the order is split or just suck it up?

I have never experienced this problem. Somewhere around 15-20 Mc-C orders in my HPR life.

--Lance.

It matters when you're on SSI and $15 is a lot. I've made one order and paid $30 for shipping of 3 O1 steel drill blanks, 6' rods, 1/8th, 3/16ths. and 1/4" (actually I got slightly undersized rod at .120, .185, .246"). Like I said the price offset because of the tube diameter fitting a 2" and 3" motor. Never the less it would have been nice if they had stored similar materials in the same place rather that have them warehoused in two different places. It was very weird to get a .185 diameter rod in a 3 inch tube, you could have packed a hundred in the same space...

Placing an Order with MMC today... Last chance to help me remember what I need before I hit "submit order"...
Also, anyone near me need anything? I'm getting a boat load of shear pins, I can get a boat load more if needed...

McMaster and Home Cheapo are the same..
I don't remember the last item till I hit "Place order"
Or am exiting the parking lot............lol....

Teddy

Placing an Order with MMC today... Last chance to help me remember what I need before I hit "submit order"...
Also, anyone near me need anything? I'm getting a boat load of shear pins, I can get a boat load more if needed...

Don't forget a 2634K81.

Speaking of snap ring plier , is there a good place I should look for them locally?

Asking for help at the Home Depot is like pulling teeth.

Speaking of snap ring plier , is there a good place I should look for them locally?

Asking for help at the Home Depot is like pulling teeth.

Nope. Spend the money on a pair or two of Knipex. Worth every penny, and they'll last forever.

Kevin

Back