Good holder for BT-60

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For better or worse, I've decided to paint my current rocket first and install the motor mount after. This leaves me needing a good holder for a BT-60, which is big enough that mounting it on a stick was problematic for me.

So, after some search and experimentation, I found that a 1" PVC pipe cap fits *perfectly* into a BT60. One of these guys stuck onto a piece of 1" PVC and you're good to go. I also wrapped some blue masking tape around the bottom edge, so when it's pushed into the tube there'll be a tape edge at the end of the tube.

I did find a bit of flash at the edge of the cap, so if you want to stick it farther into the tube you'll want to file it down or it'll catch.

So far it's working great. PVC pipe is like my duct tape; I use it for everything. Next up is a stand to hold the rockets horizontal while drying.

The best way to paint rockets is usually in a horizontal position. Especially if it's a long or bigger rocket. I went to a little mom-n-pop hardware and bought a steel rod 6' long, (good for my size rockets) and fabricated a paint station from a cardboard box that supports the rod and the rocket. The box hinges in the center and can be adjusted so fins and such wont boink when the rocket gets turned. You can let it dry in it also.

Paint Box.jpg

May I ask why you say the best is horizontal?

Gary may have other reasons, but for me, horizontal is preferred so I can rotate the rocket like a rotisserie, to paint all sides, and to minimize any chance of runs, once completed. I'll rotate for a bit after finished with painting, and then move the rocket into my garage, where I usually hang it vertically, upside down, from a shelf with a hook. My "support rods" are dowels with screw eyes in the end, so the rocket can be hung vertically.

May I ask why you say the best is horizontal?

Matt, You should understand this better than me because you build bigger rockets. When you paint a rocket in a vertical position, you can't get near the equal distribution of paint. It's a helluva lot easier and smarter to paint horizontal because you can easily maintain a safe distance and give it an even coat. Lee is right when he addresses the rotation factor. Small little rockets (5 - 7" long) aren't as big a deal. But the longer ones are better turned horizontal.

Gary, that's a beautiful and simple setup. You don't actually spray in your kitchen, though, right? (I'd be single before the first coat dries)

Once I get my PVC rig put together I'll post a picture, I'm sure everyone will be losing sleep over it until then.

No Neil, I don't. It was posing for the photo shoot. FWIW, I have no significant other ( or otherwise ) living with me, so it's not likely I'm gonna piss anybody off if I did. Painting is problematic for me since I have no garage or out building, so this seconds as a wind barrier. Since the rocket pictured was going to get the final coat done with an airbrush, I just put an old fan in my LR window, parked the paint box next to it, and let it suck the over spray out. It was just too windy for airbrushing, and this worked like a charm. The fan was 100% effective in drawing out the over spray. That rocket looks like this now.

100_1101.jpg

That one is an absolute beauty.

Back when I used to airbrush (as a kid, a looooong time ago) I did it in my basement, but I find the rattlecan fumes so noxious that outside is the only practical option, and even letting them dry in the garage is unpleasant. I may set up a drying area in my shed, if I can move all the other crap out of the way and protect it (somehow) from dust.

I miss my old airbrush (a Paasche from the 70's.) I got kind of good at it after a while. All this rattlecan stuff is pretty new to me, but I figure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Matt, You should understand this better than me because you build bigger rockets. When you paint a rocket in a vertical position, you can't get near the equal distribution of paint. It's a helluva lot easier and smarter to paint horizontal because you can easily maintain a safe distance and give it an even coat. Lee is right when he addresses the rotation factor. Small little rockets (5 - 7" long) aren't as big a deal. But the longer ones are better turned horizontal.

Ahhh.... that makes sense.
#brainfarts :)

Here's what I ended up with:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441071213.342086.jpg

And here it is with a rocket loaded up:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441071248.196123.jpg

Worked out fine. For some reason I really enjoy building contraptions out of PVC...

Neil, I would have already built a couple of different stands and such out of pvc, but unfortunately, I've run out of room to put stuff. Fortunately, my hinged box will collapse in the center and the rod can be stored easily. Coming from a guy that hoards boxes, I do find a good use for them now and again. Nice stand btw.

Neil, I would have already built a couple of different stands and such out of pvc, but unfortunately, I've run out of room to put stuff.

I've been doing a major purge and reorganization of old basement junk to make room for all this rocket stuff. I am slowly (!) getting a handle on it all. The stand is pretty small actually, and I can take it apart for storage if necessary (since I never glue my PVC joints). On the other hand, the base actually came apart while I was handling it yesterday, fortunately I was paying attention or my still-wet rocket would have ended up on the floor. Gotta always be re-tightening everything.

Fortunately, my hinged box will collapse in the center and the rod can be stored easily. Coming from a guy that hoards boxes, I do find a good use for them now and again. Nice stand btw.

I'm probably going to use one of your hinged boxes as soon as I have a rocket that can be threaded all the way through while painting. Frankly, it's a simpler and superior solution for occasions where I can thread a rod all the way through while painting. I'll have to practice moving the whole rig (with rocket in place); I paint outside and have to move everything to an appropriate drying area inside. That is the biggest pain for me, frankly. The stand moves pretty well, as long as the joints are tight.

Back