I've never flown a D motor.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have not paid your dues until you have flown, and cato'd a D motor. I have cato'd more than I can count.

I lost my $9.95 Saturn V to one of those recalled S Series D jobs back in the day. Motor blew the whole aft section to pieces. That was my most expensive loss back in the day.

You have to give up your high power certs and start over, skipping the D motor is not allowed.

My most preferred D motor has a 3 second delay these days. It's a shame HL no longer stocks them. Most of my D models require that delay. I design & build my own stuff BTW. Last launch I went to, I nearly depleted my entire D stock. I love me some D action.

Yes. Weird. Very, very weird.

I remember flying Estes D motors when they first started making them, around 1970.

Me too. They were D13s then, and cost a whopping $2.00 for 3 motors. C motors had jumped up to a little over a dollar for a 3-pack. I scratch-built a rocket with a BT-70 to BT-60. With nose cone it was almost 40" tall. It just looked gigantic. :)

Last edited:
I've never flown a D... Or an E. When I got my Jr L1, I went from C to H and After my cert I flew 2 G motors. I will be flying a J this weekend as well as a M in OCF. I like to skip around :)

I flew a D once in the early 80's, in the Estes Magician at the time (another often re-used name).
Got stuck in a tree on the first flight.

Guess I'll weigh in on this one. I rarely fly anything under a D when I'm at the club field. I HAVE SPACE TO FLY D's THERE!!! All that said, I built an upscale Astron Cobra made for a cluster of 3-D 12-3 motors. It was my first cluster project in quite a few years, and thanks to the Q2G2 starters, I got all three to fire this time. Sorry about the shoddy video for this. My Sony CamCorder is way outdated.

https://s343.photobucket.com/user/glbyrum/media/CobraFlight2013_zps2298cc31.mp4.html?o=7

Gary,

Can you post a picture of your Cobra? I watched the video but could not see the rocket very well.

I loved the looks of the Astron Cobra as a kid. I never did build one, but I did build a Ranger -- not sure why. I built my Cobra clone a couple years ago, and then took a break from rocketry. Just started again, and launched with my grand daughters a week ago. Hope to fly my Cobra soon. Pictures attached. Second picture shows 4-40 bolt that threads into captive 4-40 "socket" between tubes. A washer under the bolt head retains the motors.

I have all the parts for a BT-80 based Cobra, will fly on 3 D12s, and I'll put longer motor tubes in to allow for an E-based cluster.

cobra.jpgcobra008.jpg

Gary,

Can you post a picture of your Cobra? I watched the video but could not see the rocket very well.
I have all the parts for a BT-80 based Cobra, will fly on 3 D12s, and I'll put longer motor tubes in to allow for an E-based cluster.

View attachment 270317View attachment 270318

Sorry, I know the vid is not very good. I didn't stick to a traditional paint scheme on this either. This was a redemption build after the epic power prang that happened back in the 60's. Funny story. Here's what it looks like. It's a BT 80 to a BT 60 with a 60NS cone. Flies great.

Attachments

• Cobra Cropped.jpg
    Cobra Cropped.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 59
Heck a D12-3 is my ''Go To'' motor for my Bomarc glider. It eats an avg. of 3 a day at a launch( or-for lunch). Find a rocket, stuff one in, fly and mark off list.

I like the Estes "Mighty D" motor, especially when you take the Estes AMRAAM and Bull Pup and stick 24mm mounts in them... then risk some hairy flights with them.

IMG_1132.jpg IMG_1134.jpg

I lost my first D motor flight. Estes Black Brant with a D12-5. This was back in late 80's. We also had a small grass fire from that launch too. (Was before the plastic igniter plugs). Off all the motors from 1/8A to N I've flown, I have never flown a L. (Although I owned a couple but traded them in for a M)

I have never launched an F motor. But I have to admit never launching a D motor is a bit weird, you should repent and GO launch one now.

TA

Back in the early 80's most of my rockets were A, B and C engines with the exception of one D rocket, the Cherokee D which was my favorite. I lost it on my first D engine and recovered it years later in a tree. Until I build and fly another just like it, that chapter in my life will be an open book needing some closure.

If you want, there are the D10 and D20 Aerotech motors, both in 18 mm and sending smaller rockets like the Astra WAY up there :)

Never flown an F motor.. :) A, B, C, D, E, G, H, I, and I plan to fly a J motor soon. I guess when I first switched over to composite motors I just decided to skip over the F motor. :p Still love D's and E's though. :p

The only reason I ever flew an F was because I bought one of the PSII E2X kits and a pack of F15s to go with it.

I立刻他和Aero特点和 Oh, sorry! My wife was screwing around with my computer again.

I like the Aerotech 18mm D motors. They go well with an Estes Big Bertha. :cool:

I flew a D21 in my fat boy for a group launch.... Everyone was used to the B's and C's. Most of them jumped on the D. :p

My favorite when I was a kid some years ago was the Centuri Thunder ROC, at the time it was as tall as I was. Estes Mean Machine is another contender in the "go big or go home" department. ERockets sells a SEMROC retro repro kit similar to those big heavy tall rockets. You will need a thicker launch rod and more support of the pad to keep it from tipping over before launch, stake it down or something. If you have big field you could go for smaller and higher rockets, but a big low flyer won't get lost and still makes a fun flight.
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flying-model-rocket-kit-thunderstrike-ka-16/

I have never flown A,B,C,D,E or F motors.

Then you never experienced the history of modeling rockets. I get it, about the HPR influence, but LPR and some MPR models, are in a design class, where HPR has a hard time applying itself. LPR allows me to be creative, HPR doesn't. Not like I want it to.

Then you never experienced the history of modeling rockets. I get it, about the HPR influence, but LPR and some MPR models, are in a design class, where HPR has a hard time applying itself. LPR allows me to be creative, HPR doesn't. Not like I want it to.

Nothing like being at a small field and tearing open a 3-pack of motors for the day's entertainment.

I have flown 1/4A, 1/2A, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I motors.

Have flown D, E, and F motors in both BP and composite.

I skipped over the MicroMaxx 1/12A and 1/8A motors. I might have to go back and fill in those two slots.

I have flown considerably more Estes D12s than any other motor. I flew an old Larry Renger RC BG design called a Skydancer for many years on single D12-3 and on CHAD staged D12-0/D12-3 power.

Back