Estes D-Region Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Here's the maiden of my Tomahawk on a D12-3. I think this is a gorgeous kit, but it sort of straddles the line being too heavy for a D12 motor but not quite beefy enough (fin attachment method) for the more powerful 29mm motors. I do think it'll be great on the smaller 24mm composite motors and I'm looking forward to trying my first Aerotech motors with this rocket. It also comes down pretty quick with the stock 18" parachute so I might upgrade to a 24" for softer landings. Hopefully I can get this one figured out because it's a stunning rocket at the field!

[video=youtube;xkK4wkRY7vA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkK4wkRY7vA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nice looking flight, save the fin snapping off...

How'd ya glue it on originally?

Tommy 2 is my favorite scale kit. I used this for the fins:
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

018.jpg

Flies great on the F35-8, the only motor for the 24/60 casing.

I used Testors plastic cement the first time I built mine, only to have two of the fins pop off in handling while painting. I'm not convinced that the plastic used in this kit is really compatible with model glue, there was clearly little welding going on. I reattached with epoxy and added some (non-scale) fillets. That seemed to hold up; of course, I sacrificed it to the tree gods on its first flight, so I can't comment on the long-term effectiveness. It flew well on an E12 though...

If you use a composite, you'll be glad of how fast it comes down on that 18", F24 takes it almost to the edge of visibility, most epic! Mine had superglued fins, lasted at least 40 flights before coming down ... somewhere ... in a huge briar patch. Note, the stock retainer causes problems with thrust-ringed composite motors, see old posts.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I was thinking on how to retain a composite. I don't have a big flying field so am planning on an E20-7 to start.

Those are enough to have THE SOUND. Higher than a E9 but more predictable. The E9s are very cool though, enough altitude, long burn. And yes the E20-7 is the right delay choice, even if you would use a E9-4. This rocket is highish weight, low drag.

There is disagreement on retainers, best is change when building, I used a big paper clip took about 90 minutes! Still needed masking tape for security and a modified D spacer for 24/40 RMS.

Last edited:
This is a known issue with the D-Region Tomahawks, and possible why Estes discontinued it. The plastic they used doesn't seem to bond with plastic cement. I had to use CA glue on mine. I doubt you will find a DRT owner who hasn't lost fins if they built with the recommended glue.

I used epoxy. At least they break clean for easy repair, so as long as the plastic fin shroud holds together then that'll be okay.

My DRT flys great on the AT E20-7. I also used epoxy for the fin. In 4 flights one fin popped off, but that was because the shock cord and chute separated from the airframe. I used an Areopack retainer. I cant remember the exact mods I made, but I do remember grinding out the back of the fin can w/ my dremel to make the retainer fit.

I should have looked on Saturday, but how is the motor retained on the DRT? If it has a standard Estes motor mount/block/hook setup for a 24mm D, you can put in single use Aerotech E15s/E20s/E30s with no modifications. They have a thrust ring built into the back of the case and a pair of indentations to take the end of the motor hook. I'm sure we could fly it at the Raceway with one of those motors unless it was fairly breezy.

Added: just looked at the instructions online (https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002037_D_REGION_TOMAHAWK.pdf) - that will take some thought to put 24mm composites in. Hmmmmmmmm..... but if an Aeropack retainer can work, perhaps this would as well: https://www.estesrockets.com/rocket...unting/009750-estesr-24-mm-motor-retainer-set

This is the same motor retainer that's in the SLV kit among others.

Last edited:
Think I'll get some SU motors on order, then I can actually use one to fit and determine a retention method.

Last edited:
Well the stock retainer doesn't work on the SU E20 motor. So I ordered an Estes 24mm screw-on retainer. I was hoping to do a nifty tube extension that would lock into place between the two rear plastic rings for a better glue joint, but that would make the retainer stick too far out. So I had to get the dremel out and hog out the rear ring so the outer portion will be able to screw down all the way.

20150905_104351.jpg

20150905_094514.jpg

20150905_094459.jpg

To keep the retainer/tube centered while gluing, I peeled a D12 motor, then re-wrapped it with wax paper.

20150905_112530.jpg

I cut a small piece of BT-50 tubing to fit inside the retainer, then glued the assembly onto the rocket using the D engine for centering.

20150905_115931.jpg

20150905_114324.jpg

Motor removed and it's looking good. Unfortunately it's a butt joint but there was no other good way to retrofit this rocket with the retainer. I put a big bead of CA around the perimeter and will give it a good pull test before flight.

20150905_121559.jpg

I'd say the new motor woke up this rocket quite nicely.....

[video=youtube;ChWt3Rum7WI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWt3Rum7WI[/video]

I fly mine on the F24-7W and the E18-4W I love this kit. I also have never had a fin break off. Sanding the bonding surfaces I think is key.

I built one of these with my son and it went together nicely. We flew it on an E9 last Thanksgiving and it was a good flight. I seem to recall that it kind of lumbered off the pad but that E20W looked nice. I'll give the E20W a shot and then an F44W EconoMax. I'll have my son chase it down; it sure is nice to have a recovery 'team' on your side :).

I fly mine on the F24-7W and the E18-4W I love this kit. I also have never had a fin break off. Sanding the bonding surfaces I think is key.

I gave them all a good sanding. Maybe the maiden flight was a fluke. I reattached that fin with medium CA, which seemed to work well. I keep a bottle of CA in my flight box so I'll be ready for field repairs if needed.

Question on covering engine tubes, since we are bringing it up here. Could you use a 24mm MMT and cut it longer to put on the screw on retainer? Also could you use a longer 29mm MMT with retainer to go to 29mm power? Is it that simple with this kit? I have it sitting in the garage unopened.

Question on covering engine tubes, since we are bringing it up here. Could you use a 24mm MMT and cut it longer to put on the screw on retainer? Also could you use a longer 29mm MMT with retainer to go to 29mm power? Is it that simple with this kit? I have it sitting in the garage unopened.

Yes, I did it. 29mm with through the wall fins. I also replaced the original fins by G10. The retainer is a 29mm from Estes. Should also be feasible with 24mm. There is some grinding to do on the plastic fin can.

This way, you're not stuck with only 24mm motors :)

Mock up.jpg

Mock up with retainer.jpg

Back