1st MPR build Madcow Tomach

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent seen one for the Tomach. the screech is nearly identical- rocksim is on the bottom of the page. Adjust for your final weight and should ballpark it for you. https://www.madcowrocketry.com/2-6-thin-wall-fiberglass-dual-deploy-screech/

some quick and dirty numbers for my build=
20155453943_9f6b6ea7ba_o.png

Tomach minimum diameter is a much better performer than a Screech. I'll try to post a Tomach tomorrow.

So back from vacation and did a little more work
Finish the last fillet, this set did not come out perfect so I will have a little work cleaning it up
e17eb3f0b5e10ca8b0ef760b28d987e0.jpg

I do have a question the coupler that goes into the nose cone should that be epoxyed in the nose cone or should I rivet it in for future changes like a tracker or something
50f248e744569b8a600a3d466027ccd8.jpg
9847c217476f8c5e775b0096bc1b2249.jpg
abdbe5e0c4b0040f440d2d498575344c.jpg

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

I thought all the Tomach sizes were minimum diameter? Or are they all 54mm, and the 38mm airframes have a different name?

I am probably not going to do minimum diameter for a while but I have been kicking ideas around, and these seem like nice kits.

I thought all the Tomach sizes were minimum diameter? Or are they all 54mm, and the 38mm airframes have a different name?

I am probably not going to do minimum diameter for a while but I have been kicking ideas around, and these seem like nice kits.

Only the 54 is, check out MMT sizes on the others. Plus I think like, only 4 people are still flying Kosdon 2.5's

Last edited:
Got a little bit of work done today
66427f85b1cb35c4b68327b8084df68c.jpg
90d306e2b17a8804de1608b8d3c7ab1a.jpg
4d1e9a00cf81e3d9b23c82effb1725e0.jpg

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

I havent seen one for the Tomach. the screech is nearly identical- rocksim is on the bottom of the page. Adjust for your final weight and should ballpark it for you. https://www.madcowrocketry.com/2-6-thin-wall-fiberglass-dual-deploy-screech/

some quick and dirty numbers for my build=
20155453943_9f6b6ea7ba_o.png

How many and what size vent holes did you use
On the screech and where did you place them

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

For the av bay, three vents. Don't recall the size I'll have to check. I also vented the payload and booster with one 1/4" hole each.

For the statologgerCF for a 3" dia it says 4 holes .025
I was going to do 3 holes too

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

.025 is smaller than 1/32 so what should I use to vent the eBay

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Can I just attach the ematch right to the altimeter

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Running a wire to the block terminal on top of bulkhead

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

those sizes are way too small. sure, they'll work, but they don't need to be that small. there have been many conversations regarding vent hole sizes on this forum. for a 2.6" I would use 3/32" - 1/8" holes depending on the length. check out the vent sizes missile works recommends for their altimeters. my last rocket flight had a stratologger CF as primary and a missile works RRC2+ as backup in a 54mm bay. the three vents are .110" and the two altimeters reported a max altitude within 5 feet. one 1/8" hole for booster and payload vent is probably fine as well.

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

It is not critical. Use an 1/8'' bit and drill three holes. Boom, done. Vehicle speeds as it relates to pressure at apogee and main deployment events are inconsequential to the electronics.

Running a wire to the block terminal on top of bulkhead

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

I see. Well that would be dependent on your configuration. Terminal blocks allow the convenience of quick replacement of the ematch outside of a sealed avionics bay.

Can I just attach the ematch right to the altimeter

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

that's how I do mine. just make sure you can get both matches to the altimeter. I seal the hole in the bulkhead with some of my kids modeling clay.

Is it ok to do ground test with out chutes or will that not give you a good test

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Is it ok to do ground test with out chutes or will that not give you a good test IJEEPIN Paul Sandyck Membership Officer /|_|,[______], I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO- ( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

You flying without a chute?

Ok point taken

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Is it ok to do ground test with out chutes or will that not give you a good test

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Always test as you plan to fly...pack the laundry, just make sure you have the chute covered with your Nomex. Some guys on the forum have reported burning their chutes with ground tests, a bad way to ruin it. Alternatively use something that uses about the same packed volume, substitute it for your chute and roll in your Nomex. That way you are testing accurately and not risking your nice chute just for a ground test. This is how I test now; well when I remember!

I burned up a chute in nomex ground testing. The charge was too small and just cooked it. I recommend an old tshirt or rag for groind testing now....

Thanks for the tips

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

dont use rags from the garage soaked in gasoline. it's bad.... i hear...

Back