1st MPR build Madcow Tomach

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djpaulys

Reaction score
Well today I started my build of MPR Madcow
Tomach 2.6 38mm
3efd64def9c2432663edbecb781bb68c.jpg

A little work on the motor mount today
5fa3ad2065004cda74c187bf3a2765d5.jpg

Also put together the sled
af88ee9ae474b9dda62ec556bb10e20a.jpg

This will also be my first attempt at dd I will be using the statologgerCF

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

02f8966835c73e22e07db92fe1930531.jpg
2e948352a6f9b63f6ecf8e8248cb954b.jpg

Sewed the shock cord and shrink wrapped it today

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

You will love the rocket I have the 54mm carbon fiber one and you can find several recent build threads...good luck. BTW I would consider a 38mm MMT more akin to HPR. I know there are some G reloads in 38mm but the majority are H and I, and some of those G may technically be HP...So welcome to HPR ;)

You will love the rocket I have the 54mm carbon fiber one and you can find several recent build threads...good luck. BTW I would consider a 38mm MMT more akin to HPR. I know there are some G reloads in 38mm but the majority are H and I, and some of those G may technically be HP...So welcome to HPR ;)

Thanks love the build

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Rail buttons installed
91a96878714bd4a5dbec6bc60189ac27.jpg

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

3d62255b800c5a601b2e4a38004304c2.jpg
58fe3bfb65c9632d24cf5b158f792b49.jpg

Motor tube epoxy in and 1st fin epoxied in

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

0391b8fc2e321a77b6d78d0866edf0f7.jpg

All epoxyed up just curing

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

What the heck did you sew that shock cord with? It looks like steel wire. If that is right, please start a discussion on that technique.

I used metal wire worked really good super strong

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

9abac85d6359db6bb4bdf1a717eb6b0e.jpg

1st ever fillets used jb weld and a plastic spoon

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Great work so far! Looks like you've been doing it for a long time. I went with the epoxy putty technique for my first fillets and they didn't come out nearly as nice as those. Also, as someone stated above, details on that wire stitched harness would be awesome. Did you use an awl or something, or just work it in by hand?

It was metal wire that I got at michaels it's craft wire
Then I just sewed it by hand the wire is stiff and bendable so you can just push it thur
Last I got some heat shrink for wires and slipped it over and shrink it down with a lighter

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Looks great. I just did a 2.6" screech, you may find it too heavy for G motors.

I was going for a h motor just not sure what
Any suggestions

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

That would depend on your actual finished/loaded weight and the average impulse of the motor. Try to be in the 5/1 thrust to weight ratio. Nice build. Good luck on your certification attempt

I was going for a h motor just not sure what
Any suggestions

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Which Hardware do you have.....or want....... AT or CTI?

For AT off the top of my head, nice low test flight with plenty oomph of the pad.... H-123 H-242 If you weigh 2.5-3.5lbs you should go 1500-2000.

CTI has a 38mm I55 that I used for my first L1 attempt (only failed because we never found it despite watching it touch down). Really nice slow burn, but I'm not sure if 55N average thrust will be enough for your rocket. I was launching a LOC Precision Hi-Tech, which is pretty light weight cardboard construction.

Which Hardware do you have.....or want....... AT or CTI?

For AT off the top of my head, nice low test flight with plenty oomph of the pad.... H-123 H-242 If you weigh 2.5-3.5lbs you should go 1500-2000.

I was planning on AT

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

I245 Mohave green :) be a nice flight maybe 2500' or so.

h123 or H242 would be nice.

If you go Loki, the reloads ship without hazmat. H144, I405 would both be cool loads.

An Aerotech I600red would give a nice solid punch for a max L1 flight in the 38/720 case

Nice Tomach!

As DizWolf just said, an I600R would be the biggest L1 motor, and is it what I used for my 54mm Tomach L1. My build thread is in my signature.

Can't wait for a flight report!

These babies were made to go HIGH. :) You could flip this around the day you get L1 and do an L2 without breaking a sweat. Aerotech J510, Loki K1127, J1026, all do between 8500-8800 feet and just a smidge over M1....

I use a rocketman 4' main. Seems to like it. My build- https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123054-Madcow-2-6-quot-FG-Screech&highlight=screech

I'm seriously tempted to get a Tomach 2.6". I know its the same rocket but I love the fins..... Maybe in a 54 mount.....

Last edited:
great build and nice job on the fillets! but why is this in MRP? this is a HPR rocket! feed it what it wants!

I was not sure how I was going to fly it

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

These babies were made to go HIGH. :) You could flip this around the day you get L1 and do an L2 without breaking a sweat. Aerotech J510, Loki K1127, J1026, all do between 8500-8800 feet and just a smidge over M1....

I use a rocketman 4' main. Seems to like it. My build- https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123054-Madcow-2-6-quot-FG-Screech&highlight=screech

I'm seriously tempted to get a Tomach 2.6". I know its the same rocket but I love the fins..... Maybe in a 54 mount.....

Your launch is bad ass

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Thanks... is the nose on this 3:1 or 5:1? Looks stumpy in the first photo but laying down I'm not sure...

Thanks... is the nose on this 3:1 or 5:1? Looks stumpy in the first photo but laying down I'm not sure...

Not sure what you mean can you explain

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

What kind of epoxy did you use for all of your bonding? Thanks in advance!

On the building I used 5 epoxy but the fillets I used jb weld

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Not sure what you mean can you explain

The nosecone height. looks shorter than my Screech's, but it may just be the angle it's laying at. Mine is just shy of 14" not including the coupler.

Nevermind, I'm a doof. Just looked it up on madcow's site... it's 5:1 as well

Anyone have a rocksim file on the madcow 2.6 38mm tomach

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Back