Having too much fun making pens

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Nice!!! Reminds me of Hawaiian Koa wood (one of my favorites). I'm also a sucker for Oregon Myrtle.

I've turned both. I've made Koa pens, and I turned a deer grunt for my b-in-law one time from Myrtle.

You know, I read in a review of carbide chisels about how sharp they are. Did I listen? NoooOOOooo! Sliced my thumb right open. If any of you turn, and decide to try carbide chisels, BEWARE!

I was able to finish the pen, in spite of my injury. The carbide is amazing on acrylic. But you can't be aggressive. I was able to smooth it out by being careful. Other than that, I love the new chisel.

This pen, in blue and maize, is for my friend's daughter who is attending Michigan University. Go Wolverines!

oops.jpg

038.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

You know, I read in a review of carbide chisels about how sharp they are. Did I listen? NoooOOOooo! Sliced my thumb right open. If any of you turn, and decide to try carbide chisels, BEWARE!

I was able to finish the pen, in spite of my injury. The carbide is amazing on acrylic. But you can't be aggressive. I was able to smooth it out by being careful. Other than that, I love the new chisel.

This pen, in blue and maize, is for my friend's daughter who is attending Michigan University. Go Wolverines!
Yeah...think I'm going to have to wait until I'm off the warfarin before doing an slicing.

That pen turned out really nice and was worth the effort.

I imagine seeing the blank before and after the turning is sometimes a surprise.

Yeah...think I'm going to have to wait until I'm off the warfarin before doing an slicing.

That pen turned out really nice and was worth the effort.

I imagine seeing the blank before and after the turning is sometimes a surprise.

Yeah, it's usually impossible to visualize exactly how it will turn out. You can get an idea, but that's about it. Sometimes it's how you envisioned, sometimes it's worse, and sometimes you're pleasantly surprised. But that's part of the fun. Watching a beautiful pen emerge from a chunk of plastic or wood.

001.jpg

012.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
Now here's one that turned out more spectacular than I expected.

010.jpg

013.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

067.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

Now that is sweet. Has that sci-fi alien toxic waste look.

I can imagine someone asking to borrow your pen, seeing it, and then asking someone else. LOL!

The glow is from the dilithium crystals. :tongue:

Now here's one that turned out more spectacular than I expected.
Very nice! Where did you find the blank? I am pretty fond of green pens. Regarding unexpected results, I've had some very positive ones. Like turning antler and having the final product pale white with streaks of brown and tan, when the early stages had me thinking I'd have a really ugly pen. And the biggest disappointment was a blank I bought online, called Rocky Road. It was cream colored with swirls of rich browns and tans. All those colors were near the outside, and completely disappeared when it was turned down to its final size!

Last edited:
Here are a couple of Magnum Bolt Action pens. The camo one is for a friend's son who is in Marine Corps boot camp. The blue and green one is for my son. Go Seahawks!

058.jpg

059.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

066.jpg

068.jpg

You should go into business making pens, Jim. It will bankroll your rocketry program.

The downside of that is, what used to be a fun hobby, then becomes a job. Knocking the wind out of the sail, so to speak. It's no longer fun anymore.

Some more Guardian Jr. pens. The one from Bethlehem olivewood is for my mother. The red, white, and blue one is for me.

163.jpg

164.jpg

165.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

166.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

This one is called a Compson. I really like the traditional shape. It's a smaller, medium sized pen. The wood is oak.

013.jpg

022.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

After cutting my thumb with my new carbide chisel, I got a pair of cheap mechanic's gloves from Harbor Freight. I have a habit of wiping the chips and dust off the chisel with my left hand, so I only wear the left glove. It's so much more comfortable with all the chisels, I'm wondering why I didn't do this years ago. I also gauge the depth of cuts by running my left index finger along the back of the tool rest, and the glove lets it slide easier.

[YOUTUBE]DamN_cdhf0w[/YOUTUBE]

glove2.jpg

glove2.jpg

Jim,, just way too cool...
I just don't have the room to put a lathe...
You're making me want to find the room... lol...

Teddy

Jim,, just way too cool...
I just don't have the room to put a lathe...
You're making me want to find the room... lol...

Teddy

It wouldn't fit in your living room or kitchen? I build rockets in my kitchen.

Hi, this is Teddys wife, Sandy Please dont give him any ideas. lol
Thats something he would definitely do. Dont encourage him. lol
Sandy

Hi, this is Teddys wife, Sandy Please dont give him any ideas. lol
Thats something he would definitely do. Dont encourage him. lol
Sandy

I guess it's a little different for me, since I'm a bachelor. :tongue:

You know, if the living room or kitchen won't work out, you could always get a smaller bed and put it in the bedroom.

hahashhahahahaha...

Man are you gonna get me in trouble Jim.....lol...

Teddy

Hey, just trying to help a brother out. Besides, you can tell by my video above that it's not that messy at all.

Jim,
I have always wanted a lathe......
Please ,,,
Don't get me cookin on this,,, lol...

Teddy

Back