Be Afraid. I Am L1 Certified.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I stayed up last night doing the final build steps on my Estes PSII Partizon. No paint, but everything else was done. Took her out to Birmingham Rocket Boys for her first flight.

This was my first dual deploy rocket. I won't lie. I was nervous. So I sent her on a shake down flight with a G64. Flew, deployed and landed like a boss. Altitude of 1134 feet. The time was now.

She was reset and loaded with an H128W. The wind died to near calm right at launch. The flight was nearly perfect. Straight and true. No spin. Altitude 2095 feet drogueless. Main was set for 300 feet. Top speed of 288 mph.

I am now L1 certified. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

1439697505504.jpg

I stayed up last night doing the final build steps on my Estes PSII Partizon. No paint, but everything else was done. Took her out to Birmingham Rocket Boys for her first flight.

This was my first dual deploy rocket. I won't lie. I was nervous. So I sent her on a shake down flight with a G64. Flew, deployed and landed like a boss. Altitude of 1134 feet. The time was now.

She was reset and loaded with an H128W. The wind died to near calm right at launch. The flight was nearly perfect. Straight and true. No spin. Altitude 2095 feet drogueless. Main was set for 300 feet. Top speed of 288 mph.

Congratulations on your L1! I've built a couple from the PS II line and I'm planning on getting my L1 with my Leviathan. Ordered two Partizon's last week. One for me and one for SWMBO! She wants hers to be pink. Go figure. Again, congrats!

That rocket is light. It is fast and goes high. Do whatever you feel comfortable with but after my flights today, I highly recommend using dual deploy. Unless you have a VERY large recovery area.

That rocket is light. It is fast and goes high. Do whatever you feel comfortable with but after my flights today, I highly recommend using dual deploy. Unless you have a VERY large recovery area.

Nice to hear a different rocket from the PS II line, other than another Leviathan help you get the L1 cert. The Partizon made it a lot more challenging and rewarding.
Congratulations!!

Nice! Well done! Awesome photo of it too by the way :)

Great job on your L1. The H128 is what I used many moons ago to get my L1 as well.

Nice job and DD for L1! My first DD was L2, but looking back, should've built my L1 Super Batray for DD.
Congrats!

Congrats! Great Photo!

When I go for mine finally, them seagulls is really gonna have to LOOK OUT!!! Glad you're jeopardizing them in a new and faster way!

And so it begins....:dark:

Congratulations on your successful L1. Fly lots of H and I motors. Don't rush your L2, there's plenty of time....
I'm enjoying the long and slow journey. I want to saturate myself each step of the way while I learn everything I can before taking a giant leap. I have discovered better ways of building LPR's that I'm incorporating into my MPR's. If I jump ahead too fast, I'm afraid I won't appreciate the small things and reduce the amount of pleasure I might get out of them. Since building/flying MPR's, I don't get the same excitement for LPR's as I used to. I want to hang onto my MPR excitement as long as I can hold out before going further. This gives me more to look forward to, rather than completing everything to quickly, accomplishing everything and moving on to another hobby. I like to keep a few rocks uncovered to keep the excitement going. For me it's about the journey more than the destination.

Nice job!
Was this a conventional two-break dual deploy, or were you using something like a cable cutter?

Traditional two break. Set the bay at the forward coupler. Aft tube has an extra long MMT (can you say 29/360?) and fills most of that tube. That leaves similar space fore and aft of the a/v bay for the laundry.

Last edited:
Congrats!! I really like the H-I motor range...even post L2 I still fly plenty of H128s. Single use convenience and a good ride for any well built MPR.

I'm looking forward to building some serious designs now. Small ones are cheap and fun, but the intricacy of the HPR stuff really attracts me. Now I can fly up to 54/426.

Hey,,,
Great flight,,
Great pic,,
Great choice of motor,, same as mine,,, lol...
Good for you man....
Dual deploy on a level 1 cert flight,,,
Very, very cool...

Teddy

I'm already working on my first 38mm design. I'm thinking a 3" AMRAAM, I285R. 6" a/v bay DD.

Back