DFS-346: from paper model to RC rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After doing a number of profile fun scale RC rocket gliders, I decided it was time to do a full bodied scale model. I have always liked the simple clean look of the DFS-346 experimental high speed research aircraft designed and built in Germany towards the end of WWII and then taken to Russia and flown after the war. Picture of the real aircraft below. Lots of info on Google is you care to check it out.

Taking a paper display model and scaling it up and building it out of Depron is fairly popular out there in RC airplane land. It can be a fast and simple way to get a nice looking shape for a lightweight scale electric parkflyer model. The DFS-346 easily lends itself to this approach.

The photos of this paper model show that the stacked conic sections of the fuse look pretty darn good and not too angular.

I got the paper model from Fiddler's Green, a popular paper model web site. Downloaded it, scaled it up 325% to get a fuse length of around 39" for the ever popular RMS-RC 24mm motor casing. I have printed out the plans and am ready to start cutting Depron.

Plan is to do the conic sections in 3mm Depron. Planning on some lightweight formers of 3mm Depron at each conic section intersection. Also planning on a keel of 6mm Depron to serve as a backbone for the model, with some lightening holes added.

Am going to carve the clear nose area out of a small block of foam and finish it in tissue or silk span and water based polyurethane, as this is where the conic intersections are most noticeable on the paper model.

Planning on a wing built up out of 3mm Depron with a dash of balsa and carbon fiber to help keep it together. Tail surfaces will be 6mm Depron.

Given the somewhat delicate surface of a model skinned with 3mm Depron, I will add a non scale skid as an external keel. If the weight budget allows, I will also add a layer or two of tissue and water based polyurethane on the areas of the lower fuse that would be likely to come in contact with the ground when landing.

Final finish will be airbrushed latex house paint in some creative and semi-appropriate version of Luftwaffe WWII camo.

Provisions will be made to allow the model to be flown as an electric pusher as well.

Picture of the real aircraft and a rendering of the paper model shown below.

The build will be a little slow as I have a lot of work and a number of model events to attend.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Tom, that's very mace/matador-ish.....I've thought those would make pretty simple rocket gliders as well, tube fuselage for the most part......Will be interesting to see how the overall weight/performance turns out.

if you are landing on grass, you might get by with just trim monokote on the bottom for road rash protection...

Frank

Last edited:
Back