The Guided-Vertical Lift Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperSpeed

Reaction score
The Guided-Vertical Lift system.

Autopilot NAV systems for auto-correction of stunt-bound R/C winged-aircraft have enabled a theory that I imagined the very moment I saw the somewhat inexpensive tech appear on manufacturer' sites. Some of you may even argue that it is even less expensive, and you have been doing such things for years with only a gyro and 2 servos in your rocket. :kill:

What is it?

This idea aims to create the high-performance rocket flight we might presume to be unaffected by wind and bad weather. The "straight as an arrow" flight path. This means the flight path becomes, of course, that magical word: "guided". Rockets that at least normally have a high pad exit-velocity would be prime candidates for test of this tech, and as the rocket size increases through testing, speed slows due to lift-mass, the system becomes needed more and more upon lift-off conditions and thus more valuable a component to the launch sequence.

The idea is to take 1 HPR, add 1 of these systems Co-Pilot II C3, mix them together with a secondary controller system for power (servos or stepper motors may be needed depending on required movements), and thus create a system that attempts to align the rocket's angle of attack perpendicular with ground level at all times. Not only can fins provide guidance under rocket motor power, fins can also provide guidance when falling, either under a drogue, or a main, with the greatest distance able to be made up typically while falling under drogue.

The final step in the evolution of a system like this would be a final recovery system, that separates rocket from parachutes, and hands over the rocket components that cost the majority of the $ in a build over to a drone-type rotor recovery system, which essentially brings the rocket home to the builder using GPS and confirmation.

This is how I dream of flight/recovery systems, and where they are heading.

What do you think about using said components to do this? Should funding not stand in the way of your use of such a system, would you like the idea and use the system?

Drone owners have the security of knowing their build is going to come back home and land softly. We have been out in the fields flying well before their time, I think we deserve some of what they have in our model recovery world. 3D printing makes this an easy reality to fabricate the parts. I have a 3D ABS/T-Glase printer capable of part quality seen on $30k production printers. I would be willing to team up, invest, produce, and test, to help make this a "rocket reality".

Who else feels that this entire project may just be worth the effort to get correct?

Try to imagine it: You hit the ignition button after a countdown. A 4" rocket with high-thrust L motor roars to 14,000ft, out-of-sight. After a few minutes, you're watching a live-feed from the rocket, looking at the roof of your house getting closer. The rocket lands in your driveway. You didn't worry about power lines once, because the drone anatomy model of recovery will not run into power lines. I'd call that a successful flight, myself. ;)

This sounds like fun. I enjoy any engineering challenge. I would be happy to support in any technical way! (Just don't ask me to paint or do fillets ;p ).

I know 8 guys working on the "up" part now. My next try will be at Balls. Don't know about the landing part though. If the rocket falls in my driveway, it will be because I dropped it while loading up.

[video=youtube;vuaY_lfLHzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuaY_lfLHzA[/video]

Jim

Doesn't any system that auto adjusts flight break the rules?

The final step in the evolution of a system like this would be a final recovery system, that separates rocket from parachutes, and hands over the rocket components that cost the majority of the $ in a build over to a drone-type rotor recovery system, which essentially brings the rocket home to the builder using GPS and confirmation.

That's going to be very, very heavy, and since the rotors have to fold out, very complicated. A much better system would be some sort of deployable wing such as a parafoil, allowing the rocket to glide to a landing where you want it. There are a couple people working on this: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?127122-Steerable-chutes

Try to imagine it: You hit the ignition button after a countdown. A 4" rocket with high-thrust L motor roars to 14,000ft, out-of-sight. After a few minutes, you're watching a live-feed from the rocket, looking at the roof of your house getting closer. The rocket lands in your driveway. You didn't worry about power lines once, because the drone anatomy model of recovery will not run into power lines. I'd call that a successful flight, myself. ;)

Unless your house happens to be within the area specified by the FAA waiver (with a high-power launch this probably means you own a large farm or ranch that you're launching from), this ain't happening. Often flyers don't even live in the same state as the launch site. Any system with the energy to fly a vehicle tens of miles will basically be an aircraft with a rocket motor attached and not perform well as a rocket. Also, I'm pretty sure letting an autonomous vehicle fly over populated areas outside the operator's line of site is pretty darn illegal.

If you want guided recovery, set it down a couple hundred feet in front of the flight line and with plenty of separation from the pads - no RSO will ever let you try to land a rocket in your prep area.

As Jim mentioned, people are working on the up part. This is my second second flight and it is very promising. The down part is obviously more complex, but it will be conquered. A folding drone type system would not have to be that heavy, and complexity is relative and just makes it more interesting.
[video=youtube;esFTRyPRaKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFTRyPRaKU[/video]

As Jim mentioned, people are working on the up part. This is my second second flight and it is very promising. The down part is obviously more complex, but it will be conquered. A folding drone type system would not have to be that heavy, and complexity is relative and just makes it more interesting.

I'd love to hear a few more details on your approach.

Jim

The canard or the quad? Nothing concrete on the quad yet. Working on the canard version and I have a gimballed motor about ready to go.

The basic rocket is a 4" Madcow DX3. The guidance components are built into a 12" payload section. The canards are cut from 550 mm (30 size) hardwood helicopter blades. The coupling shafts ride on ball bearings. Pitch and yaw each have their own mini servo and roll uses two servos. Guidance is via an Eagle Tree Guardian with the sensitivity set high. Though you can't tell from the video, the flight was on a windy day and I angled the rail into the wind maybe 5 degrees. After launch it immediately curved to vertical and maintained the attitude to ejection. This is a fun project and I look forward to your activities in this area.

103.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

The basic rocket is a 4" Madcow DX3. The guidance components are built into a 12" payload section. The canards are cut from 550 mm (30 size) hardwood helicopter blades. The coupling shafts ride on ball bearings. Pitch and yaw each have their own mini servo and roll uses two servos. Guidance is via an Eagle Tree Guardian with the sensitivity set high. Though you can't tell from the video, the flight was on a windy day and I angled the rail into the wind maybe 5 degrees. After launch it immediately curved to vertical and maintained the attitude to ejection. This is a fun project and I look forward to your activities in this area.

You have clearly put a great deal of thought and work into your design. I'd love to trade notes with you. If you're interested, PM me with your email address.

Jim

Latest posts

Back