GPS Tracking Config - Eggfinder GPS & Rocket Locator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wighty44

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I see that there are many GS tracking options available, but I'd like to focus on what it takes to properly configure the Eggfinder GPS RX & TX modules with the Android app Rocket Locator..

I installed the app on my phone and really like it's display. Yet, I'm not clear on what steps are required to correctly get the Eggfinder modules to communicate with Rocket Locator. I'm also not sure if additional hard/software is required between the RX module and the phone.

This is a new area for me, but I feel I need to have this tracking capability in-place before I begin setting my sights on altitudes above 3,000ft.

I plan to mount the TX in a second nose cone for my existing Madcow Level-2 rocket (4" FG, 11.5lbs, 6ft tall, 54mm MM, DD)

I'd appreciate any setup & configuration guidance from those who have used this tracking method.

Thank you...

I am still practicing but this is how it worked for me.

Turn on lcd Pair blue tooth module to phone. Start rocket locator and select blue tooth module in settings. Turn off app and lcd.

Turn on tx and lcd and when lcd has coordinates ..i turn off my gps in the phone and confirm blue tooth is on.

Then fire up rocket locator ..and select restart blue gps to do something. You may need to manually scroll map to america . When i see the red location designation i zoom it in and center..then i start the gps in the phone .

Im sure others do it differently. .but turning off my phone gps helped me confirm what was displayed on the map was the eGGfinder when learning the system

Kenny

Screenshot_2014-11-20-09-29-20.jpg

Last edited:
I am still practicing but this is how it worked for me.

Turn on lcd Pair blue tooth module to phone. Start rocket locator and select blue tooth module in settings. Turn off app and lcd.

Turn on tx and lcd and when lcd has coordinates ..i turn off my gps in the phone and confirm blue tooth is on.

Then fire up rocket locator ..and select restart blue gps to do something. You may need to manually scroll map to america . When i see the red location designation i zoom it in and center..then i start the gps in the phone .

Im sure others do it differently. .but turning off my phone gps helped me confirm what was displayed on the map was the eGGfinder when learning the system

Kenny

Works. Thanks.

Back