Best reasonably priced STURDY pop-up canopy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropellantHead

Reaction score
I'm going to AirFest so I am in the market for a STURDY pop-up canopy. I know the winds out there can be pretty strong so I am looking at commercial grade shelters and they seem to range from $200 up to $700 and higher. I was hoping to keep it in the $250 range, if possible. I would prefer steel, for the weight, but I'm open to Aluminum if it's sturdy enough. I can always get more weights.

So, your recommendations...GO!

(yes, I did do a search here for similar threads but the one w/ the most info was from 2012 - things can change in 3 years)

Last edited:
I still have my original EZ-UP from 1998. It was the low end model, but it's all steel and none of the hinge points are plastic. It's been to Bonneville a few times, Black Rock several times, Lucerne 2-3 times, TCC several times and countless RC boat races where the wind would blow. I'd say conservatively it's been to 100 events. I would call EZ-UP and ask which models meet your needs.

From what I've seen no matter who the manufacturer is ALL of the sub $200 models available have plastic joints now. They will break eventually, usually when you can deal with it least.

We bought a 10x10 EZ up while at a weekend launch back in 2001. It has been used for launches, yard sales, family gatherings, backyard work space, camping, and the list goes on. At 14 years old, it has some pin holes in the fabric, and, looks well used, but, it's still holding up strong. The key to making any of them last, is take care of them. Stake them down. Don't try to use them in winds they aren't designed for. Don't force them open or closed. Keep the fabric clean and dry when stored, and, hate to say it, but don't cheap out on them.

As you shop for one, pay attention to the leg designs. The size advertised is based on the distance of the feet of the legs. So, a 10x10, with canted legs, is actually an 8x8 canopy. A 10x10 with straight legs, is a true 10x10.

David

I bought a UC-2 Pro from Undercover Canopies: https://www.getundercover.com/

It's well engineered and built, quite rugged, has a few very worthwhile "features", and very easy to setup and take down with no classic "buttons" to push in; they're more like levers I guess you could say. I didn't pay anywhere near full price but it was pricier than other options. I easily view it as a great choice and investment.

Harbor Freight had a 10x10 for about $60 last time I was there.

I have one of those.. I asked the check out person, " Can I PLEASE buy the service contract " ...

One of the bolts worked its nut loose at one of the folding joints..so I bought another bolt.. but have seen them take off at launches

Kenny

I like the ones that have the silver lining that blocks the sun completely. They seem to be cooler to stand under.

Harbor Freight had a 10x10 for about $60 last time I was there.

The one from Harbor Freight probably does not meet the OPs mentioned criteria: "Sturdy".

The 80 buck one from Walmart is no EZ Up, either. The silver lined fabric canopy itself from Walmart, the Ozark Trail brand, is not bad if you need a replacement cover for your frame.

I like the ones that have the silver lining that blocks the sun completely. They seem to be cooler to stand under.

I agree. If you're under bright sunlight, that seems to be the way to go!

How they are staked down is critical to survival. Just spikes in the corner tabs is asking for trouble.
Always take the cloth off if you leave it for the night.
Pay attention to the weather, if a storm is coming take it down.

M

Thanks for all the replies so far. However, I should probably have made it clear in the original post that this isn't, as the saying goes, my first rodeo with pop-ups. I've had 4 over the years with varying levels of longevity. My experience has shown that with 25+mph steady winds, the consumer grade canopies, no matter how well they are tied & weighted down, will not survive.

Yes, I always stake the down and, no, I don't use the cheapo ones that come with the pop-ups. I buy the nice tent stakes separately. As for taking the top off, it doesn't do me a lot of good to have a canopy if I have to have the top off the entire time I'm on the field. Yes, the winds in Kansas can easily be that strong and steady.

Then, in that case your best bet might be to make a "not so easy up" out of parts from this site. These are the type of shades used by Lucern veterans where the wind is king.

https://www.ysbw.com/

How they are staked down is critical to survival. Just spikes in the corner tabs is asking for trouble.
Always take the cloth off if you leave it for the night.
Pay attention to the weather, if a storm is coming take it down.

M

+1

Tent stakes won't hold in really bad dust storms. Fence posts [4ft] will.

driving metal fence posts into ground at each corner about 2ft deep.....next to corner posts.

Use ratchet straps hooked to top of frame under canopy...the very top rail.
Wrap strap around corner post onto fence post.
Ratchet down the straps putting tension as downforce on canopy top.
It cannot go anywhere.

IMG_2660.jpg

Pics shows during setup, have not done final post yet. This setup has survived the worst that Black Rock, Argonia, and many dry lake have thrown at it.
Steady winds of 35-45 with gusts to 50-60. Signs and table have blown away, but canopy has always been there.

I'll chime in.

I've used and been around LOTS of "EZ-Ups" over the years, and I used to manage a tent rental company as well. For the tent rentals we are talking serious industrial quality tents - big and small - but we did rent some of the basic "EZ-Up" style tents as well. So, I've got lots of experience here. Based on that experience, and being witness to an enormous amount of tent destruction over the years, I've always steered folks away from any of the bargain type "pop ups" - and recommended actual EZ-Up brand "commercial quality" tents at the bare minimum. This used to mean spending at least $300 or so. Yes, there are tons of cheaper "EZ-Up style" tents out there these days, but honestly if it costs you less than $200 it's almost certain to be money thrown away. $80 ups are pretty much useless junk in ANY sort of weather.

That said, Sam's Club was selling a bundled 10'x10' EZ-Up (that was an actual EZ-Up brand) a couple years ago for $250. It came with walls, a small awning, and a roller bag and was theoretically "commercial quality". I've been around (and used) a couple of these. While not as nice as their regular "commercial quality" units (which cost $350-$600 and up), I was actually pretty impressed and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for "reasonably priced but sturdy". Unfortunately, Sam's stopped carrying them.

But wait! All may not be lost. I just happened to be in Sam's Club today, and they had what seemed to be the exact same unit, though NOT branded "EZ-Up" (I think it was "Z Awning" or something like that). Selling price was $199. I can not vouch for it's quality/durability first hand, but I did have a quick look and, on the surface at least, it does seem to be the same exact unit, just re-branded. IF it is, this might be exactly what the OP is looking for. Of course, it may just be a clever facsimile that looks the part but won't stand the test. I'd still purchase one of these over anything* I've seen for this price or less out there.

* = well maybe not quite "anything". Another option might be from Coleman. The ones that MotoJoe used when he was selling Giant Leap motors were made by Coleman, and they actually looked pretty good. I don't know what they sell for, but they might be worth looking at as well. Joe might be able to advise here.

I'll also echo what others have said but in stronger words - don't go anywhere near the ones with angled legs. They are complete junk as far as I'm concerned.

Let us know what you eventually get and how it works out,
s6

I'm going to AirFest so I am in the market for a STURDY pop-up canopy. I know the winds out there can be pretty strong so I am looking at commercial grade shelters and they seem to range from $200 up to $700 and higher. I was hoping to keep it in the $250 range, if possible. I would prefer steel, for the weight, but I'm open to Aluminum if it's sturdy enough. I can always get more weights.

So, your recommendations...GO!

(yes, I did do a search here for similar threads but the one w/ the most info was from 2012 - things can change in 3 years)

Have you seen Bellio's new canopy? I think it's a Coleman that he got from Costco.
I know you weren't at the last launch, but maybe you saw it at the previous Mill Springs launch (they told me you were there before I got there)?

I use this one. Pretty easy to put up and fairly light.

E-Z UP SR9104BL Sierra II 10 by 10-Feet Canopy

OK, guys, I decided to go w/ the Undercover R-3. It's a compromise in that it has aluminum legs, but it has a steel upper structure w/ "solid core" inserts for strengthening. And it looks like they minimized the amount of plastic fittings that would be under stress loading. The cover is vented at the top and has a heat reflective coating & 99% UV block. On the down side, it's only 300 Denier. I was wanting a 500 or better but I guess this will be ok.

The biggest incentive was that it was only $240 from Costco and that includes 4 fabric side walls. Everything else I looked at that was sturdier than this started at $450 and went up from there.

We bought a 10x10 EZ up while at a weekend launch back in 2001. It has been used for launches, yard sales, family gatherings, backyard work space, camping, and the list goes on. At 14 years old, it has some pin holes in the fabric, and, looks well used, but, it's still holding up strong. The key to making any of them last, is take care of them. Stake them down. Don't try to use them in winds they aren't designed for. Don't force them open or closed. Keep the fabric clean and dry when stored, and, hate to say it, but don't cheap out on them.

As you shop for one, pay attention to the leg designs. The size advertised is based on the distance of the feet of the legs. So, a 10x10, with canted legs, is actually an 8x8 canopy. A 10x10 with straight legs, is a true 10x10.

David

Agreed, you gets what you pays for...

+1

The EZ Up I received from Walmart many years ago has this silver lining feature, it really helps to deflect some of the suns rays. Walmart still has nice sales on Canopy's, but I have not seen the EZ Up in stores in a really long time.

I went with this one: https://m.rei.com/product/862436/rei-incamp-shelter-100

I got it over others for a few reasons:

It's super light (like 7lbs) so easy to carry around and stores up to a small size.

It's REI which means I can return it if it ever breaks.

You can buy accessory walls to block out more sun/wind if needed.

Blocks out sun really nicely, has guy lines to deal with wind, and still let's plenty of airflow without getting stuffy.

The biggest con is the size. Plenty of room for our table and chairs for 4 people. But not large enough for a several to stand under and hang out. But I'm 6'1 and can stand up under the tallest part.

I looked at others but the bulk and weight of them made them unattractive to me. This one is so portable I can easily take it to the park for a picnic, beach, camping, etc. So I'll get a lot more mileage out of it than one of the traditional ones.

Bad news on REI. Their return policy has been yanked back to just one year. Lifetime guarantee is gone, unless it's on record that you bought it before the change.

I had one of the Ez-Up Professional models sold at Sam's Club, It was definitely sturdy and lasted for years. I used it for many years then gave it to someone else to use. So, it may still be going strong. But, it was really heavy. I replaced it with a QuickShade that came apart the first time I used it. The next one I bought was a cheapo from Walmart - just because I needed one quickly. It didn't last very long.

Now, I have one from Coleman which has a 13' x 13' canopy on a 10' x 10' frame, so it provides more shade than a regular 10x10. It's not too expensive and isn't too heavy. It is easy to assemble with nice big buttons and handles that are easy to press or squeeze for locking and unlocking the sliding parts during assembly. It's easier to put up than an Ez-Up. I recommend it.

-- Roger

Back