sandpaper to use with aluminum T? How to stick it on?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I lack a good sanding block, was thinking of picking up a Great Planes Easy Touch; they seem to be widely used. How do you stick the paper to the block? The Great Planes sandpaper doesn't come above 220 grit, and some Amazon reviewers claim it's too sticky and hard to remove from the block. I haven't found too many other varieties of self-stick sanding paper.

How do you guys do it?

Go to a good hardware store and buy the good old sanding block.
One that's made of rubber, not plastic. I have 2 that are made by 3M.

JD

any of the removable spray adhesives work well, spray some on the back of the sandpaper and stick it to the aluminum.

I lack a good sanding block, was thinking of picking up a Great Planes Easy Touch; they seem to be widely used. How do you stick the paper to the block? The Great Planes sandpaper doesn't come above 220 grit, and some Amazon reviewers claim it's too sticky and hard to remove from the block. I haven't found too many other varieties of self-stick sanding paper.

How do you guys do it?

I had the long (18") version I use as a cutting guide. I looked everywhere for adhesive-backed sandpaper, with no results for 2" wide sandpaper. Went to my LHS and bought a roll of the 180 grit -- this was the finest they had. Then I saw the 7" long block, and decided to buy it rather than cut off a piece of my longer block.

I like this better than any of my regular woodworking sanding blocks, since it has thin edges that allow you to sand fins right up next to the body tube with ease. I suspect I'll have to cut my own 220 or finer paper, but the 180 is OK for my intended use -- sanding down fins that have been filled with sanding sealer. Once I am almost done, I'll hand sand with 220 for now. I have not tried to remove a sheet from the aluminum surface yet.

Last edited:
I have been buying rolls off Amazon. They are twice as wide as the bar but I stick the bar on the edge of one side and cut with a razor knife.

I have a double stick tape gun from 3M that works really well. However, I've also used rubber cement by applying it to both surfaces and letting it dry. Then, apply another coat to either surface and press them together.

I've also hand-held the sandpaper on the aluminum bar. I do that often when I have a particular grit of sandpaper installed on a bar and want to use a different grit. I find the sanding bars that have a smooth radius of them to be almost custom made for hand holding.

Last edited:
I have 220 and 120 grit 2" wide rolls of sandpaper that fit my 12" and 18" aluminum T-bars. I use the same water based adhesive used to fix sanding discs to my disc sander purchased from Sears. I've also used 3M Spray 77 but it is much harder to remover then the disc adhesive.

+1 on the Sears sanding disc adhesive. I have a bottle that must be 25 years old, still works fine. Not too hard to remove. When I've used the 3M 77 spray adhesive it takes Goof-Off or similar to remove it.

I'll have to try the disk adhesive. right now I'm using 3M 77 and that is a acetone and razor removal process.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Can anyone provide a link for the Sears adhesive you're talking about? I haven't had much luck searching.

I realized that I received my block just after all my block sanding is finished for the current build, so actual use will have to wait for the next one.

I would buy and use the Great Planes paper that is made for the tool. It sells in rolls, works great, isn't expensive. I get mine from Amazon.

I'll have to try the disk adhesive. right now I'm using 3M 77 and that is a acetone and razor removal process.

I have discovered that denatured alcohol works better at breaking down the 3M Super 77 adhesive than acetone.

Greg

It seems like the Sears liquid adhesive is no longer available, but 3M 08051 Feathering Disc Adhesive still is - search for "feathering disc adhesive" on Amazon.

Back