BT-50 - BT-70 Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm currently designing a BT-60 a/v bay. It's for a Mean Machine this time, but I have other uses planned as well. What's the smallest DD altimeter I can get commercially? Logging would be nice but is not required. I'd at least like to get altitude reading from it. Other than that, I just want it to do drogue and main.

I've heard of the Eggtimer. I thought it was a staging timer originally. I've never seen one in use that I know of. The only altimeter I'm familiar with is the Stratologger series. Who makes the Eggtimer? And who makes the RRC3?

I've heard of the Eggtimer. I thought it was a staging timer originally. I've never seen one in use that I know of. The only altimeter I'm familiar with is the Stratologger series. Who makes the Eggtimer? And who makes the RRC3?

Yes and nope. It is an economical flight computer with a no frills approach to programming. It can do DD "and" staging but an additional, affordable outboard add-on board is necessary.
Yes it can do DD alone and yes it can stage but it doesn't have some of the safety check options that the pricier devices offer.
If one does their simulation homework, I believe it's a workable device for staging smaller and medium projects. You will have to read the instructions though.

It and the Quark one has to build. I think a Quark would be good if you want the smaller size for the Mean Machine and you can do without recording. If you can stand the space requirement, the EggTimer will work. You have to build it so if that's an obstacle, get something else or have someone build it for you. If you want to go "whole hog", the Raven 3 at $155.00 will get you baro/accel data and then some.

https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page19.php Kurt

Eggtimer Rocketry makes the Eggtimer, Eggfinder, Eggtimer TRS, and the Quark. Missleworks makes the RRC3 (which is what I use) and MW is soon to add expansion boards for GPS and realtime telemetry.

I'm surprised the Stratologger or Stratologger CF from PerfectFlite haven't come up in this discussion yet.....either will fit in BT-50.

My Strato is indide a rocket for tomorrow's launch. I have an idea on a bay sled setup for the BT-60 but it'll require refinement.

I'd like to help, but I have no idea what "BT-50" means. Millimeters, please. Time for Estes to move beyond their 1960's naming convention and align with rest of the industry. I'd even settle for inches, hands, or fathoms!

I'd like to help, but I have no idea what "BT-50" means. Millimeters, please. Time for Estes to move beyond their 1960's naming convention and align with rest of the industry. I'd even settle for inches, hands, or fathoms!

BT-50 is a 24mm ID thin walled tube. As for Estes aligning with the rest of the industry, they started the industry. Generation after generation have built and flown their rockets. Every old school BAR and most children starting out known these tubes by their current designation. It's easier to learn this than to try and have everyone else change just for you.

BT-50 is a 24mm ID thin walled tube. As for Estes aligning with the rest of the industry, they started the industry. Generation after generation have built and flown their rockets. Every old school BAR and most children starting out known these tubes by their current designation. It's easier to learn this than to try and have everyone else change just for you.
As a BAR, the Estes BT sizing is the preferred method for me to. I know that some day I will have to step out of my comfort zone, but just not ready yet.

I am happy to learn that some of the new altimeters will fit in this tube. 38mm (err, BT-58.65?) with the ol' Perfectflite MAWD is the smallest I have done.

I am an old fart BAR as well, and I never bothered to learn the "BT-something" convention now nor then. Seemed silly when a ruler is a much more useful tool. Anyway, I moved quickly to HPR, where millimeters rule the day.

Back