New AeroTech 38mm Model and Pictures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
At NARAM-57, AeroTech General Manager Charles Savoie demo flew a prototype of a new AeroTech kit.

The model did not have a name yet. It is four inches in diameter and has a 38mm motor mount.
The prototype was unpainted.

Charlie demonstrated the model on an 'H' motor if I recall correctly. It had a fine flight and recovery.

AT Proto Kit 002.jpg

AT Proto Kit 003.jpg

AT Proto Kit 005.jpg

AT Proto Kit 006.jpg

AT Proto Kit 007.jpg

Nice. Charley hinted about it on the AT thread. And now we have an idea of what it looks like.

Pretty nice rocket. That should boost their kit sales a little if the price is right. I wonder if the construction is similar with the fin-lock system?

Now if they would only do away with those gawd-awful square launch lugs.

Mind you, a nice looking, probably lightweight rocket. You can never go wrong with 3FNC or 4FNC.

Hmmm... Am I the only one a little... underwhelmed... by this? As far as I can tell it's just a G-force with Mustang fins. I was hoping for something that required a little more effort on Aerotech's part.

It's not exactly a G-Force. It looks like it separates at the NC instead of mid-body. But yeah, it doesn't seem a far cry different from any of their other kits.

I think it's a good move upwards...heck, people always seem to want bigger motor! ;)

However I hope they address some of the concerns already expressed...thin fins, launch lugs, failed ejection. I'll probably get it anyway. :p

It'd be cool if they made a removable dd kit for the Arreaux or just any dd kit.

Hmmm... Am I the only one a little... underwhelmed... by this? As far as I can tell it's just a G-force with Mustang fins. I was hoping for something that required a little more effort on Aerotech's part.

They are not Mustang fins.

I love it when our vendors step into a new segment. Kudos to Aerotech!

Cheers,
Michael

I like it, it looks to be a nice size for a L1 work horse. The fin design and forward placement will help protect them in less than ideal landings. My concern, would be the aft end getting banged up, unless the aft CR is below the fins, or maybe a coupler section glued in to help add strength. I am curious, if it is Aerotech fin lock style construction, or, standard style. Either way, it's nice to see AT adding more choices to their kits.

David

Agreed. I immediately thought Madcow DX3.

What are these things called "launch lugs?" Are they related to those things in the history books called "launch rods?" Any 38mm motor, L-1 capable rocket in 2015 should fly off a rail, as the OP is doing.

I like the snap-lock fins, the pre-shaped fins, and the cooling mesh baffle of Aerotech products. However, those are 20 year old features. AT needs to jazz up their new offerings. As KenEcoyote said, DD av-bays would be a good start.

It looks like the drawings I saw 12yrs ago...... if so,it has centering rings that are notched/grooved to make 120 degree fin alignment perfect. The fins lock in place. I think they were 3/16 ply ...can't remember it was a long time ago...It was a pretty snappy design., more like the Arreaux.
There was something else "different" about this kit.....I just can't remember what??

Mind you, a nice looking, probably lightweight rocket. You can never go wrong with 3FNC or 4FNC.

This kit will ship with rails (like the ones it has flown on previously) but the lugs will be included as well if the user wants them.

It's not exactly a G-Force. It looks like it separates at the NC instead of mid-body. But yeah, it doesn't seem a far cry different from any of their other kits.

We are still configuring some aspects of the kit. This has been tested as a single deploy but we are experimenting with dual as well. In an effort to keep the cost down a single deploy model is where we started at.

Pretty nice rocket. That should boost their kit sales a little if the price is right. I wonder if the construction is similar with the fin-lock system?

The fins will fit into the wooden centering rings but it will not have the traditional fin-locks.

The fins will fit into the wooden centering rings but it will not have the traditional fin-locks.
Naturally I have to have one. And then butcher it. Outboards, airbags, four speed floor mats, automatic ash trays and a drink holder. Hey, all the big kids are flying 4 inch so It's all that AND a bag of Gummy Bears. Can't wait! I also have a name for the new rocket already. Wait for it...wait for it...Circus Peanut!! Hopefully ready for LDRS June 2016. LOL! Thanks Charlie!

Naturally I have to have one. And then butcher it. Outboards, airbags, four speed floor mats, automatic ash trays and a drink holder. Hey, all the big kids are flying 4 inch so It's all that AND a bag of Gummy Bears. Can't wait! I also have a name for the new rocket already. Wait for it...wait for it...Circus Peanut!! Hopefully ready for LDRS June 2016. LOL! Thanks Charlie!

I like your style! I like your name suggestion! Too much to like here!

Funny, when I built a number of Aerotech kits back in the 90s, I actually liked those square launch lugs. What I wan't too happy about was the durability of the plastic fins. They are usually OK if not swept back like the Initiator. I managed to put down my Initiator on an asphalt paved road thru our launch site, and snapped off the tip of one. My Initiator (still in my fleet) has fins sawed off even with the end of the body tube. Looks a little odd, but flies fine.

I just dug it out of storage -- hasn't flown in maybe 20 years. Initiator001 may cry "BLASPHEMY!" -- after I sawed off the fin tips, I gave it an "Easter Egg" paint job ...

Initiator.jpg

Last edited:
The lugs were cool for a period of time and helped to identify AT kits also. Rail guides will be used on this one and possibly with the other current AT kits. Love your modifications to the Initiator too!

Funny, when I built a number of Aerotech kits back in the 90s, I actually liked those square launch lugs. What I wan't too happy about was the durability of the plastic fins. They are usually OK if not swept back like the Initiator. I managed to put down my Initiator on an asphalt paved road thru our launch site, and snapped off the tip of one. My Initiator (still in my fleet) has fins sawed off even with the end of the body tube. Looks a little odd, but flies fine.

I just dug it out of storage -- hasn't flown in maybe 20 years. Initiator001 may cry "BLASPHEMY!" -- after I sawed off the fin tips, I gave it an "Easter Egg" paint job ...

View attachment 270370

I went to rail buttons on my HPR stuff 10+ years ago, but only do LPR/MPR now. I just saw a post the other night on Maker Beam and the micro rail buttons. Those definitely need a closer look for some of my LPR stuff. The rail is pretty reasonable from Amazon.

I am back into rockets after a 2+ year hiatus. It is amazing how many new products and techniques have come out in that time.

Last edited:
This kit will ship with rails (like the ones it has flown on previously) but the lugs will be included as well if the user wants them.

Why choose when the square launch lugs make such great standoffs? Drilled and tapped the square launch lug, but I can always remove the lugs in 30 seconds if the rail is too busy.

Sorry... pic is not posting, not sure why?

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1440349858.108740.jpg
Here's the pic of my combination square launch lug/railbutton standoff mentioned in previous post.

Back