Any 1:1 scale rockets possible with L1 motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morlock

Reaction score
Is there a real life rocket (sounding rocket, missile, etc. but not free falling bombs) that could be built to fly on L1 motors (maximum I class motor)? For example, a rocket that could fly on an I500. I guess such a rocket would have to be built rather lightly.

Otherwise, what is the best option to get as close as possible to 1:1 ratio?

Last edited:
Look at shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missiles. Not sure of dimensions on those, but they're pretty small.

Look at shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missiles. Not sure of dimensions on those, but they're pretty small.
I guess those are the most likely option, but I am usually not fond of them. Do you have some favorites in mind? I think there was a box-launched Italian anti-tank missile that was pretty small.

Ah, here it is, the mosquito :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_(missile)

I've always wanted to build a "Baby" series Japanese sounding rocket...

image.jpg

Cheers,
Michael

I've always wanted to build a "Baby" series Japanese sounding rocket...

View attachment 270000

Cheers,
Michael
Oh, this looks so feasible! Is it a two-stager? I'm switching to wikipedia mode right now!

Do you have some links or files you could share?

EDIT: Maybe a Kappa rocket would even be possible with light materials?

Last edited:
One of Peter Alway's RotW supplements has a drawing. I'll look it up when I can.

The single-stage Rohini RH-75 from India is another option. 75 mm diameter (3")...

Cheers,
Michael

image.jpg

Oh, this looks so feasible! Is it a two-stager? I'm switching to wikipedia mode right now!

Do you have some links or files you could share?

EDIT: Maybe a Kappa rocket would even be possible with light materials?

Rockets of the World 1999 Supplement has the Baby and the Pencil. Rockets of the World 3rd and 4th Editions have the Rohini. I think both the book and the supplement are available from NARTS.

Cheers,
Michael

What about the Arcas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcas_(rocket)

frangeablearcas.jpg

Greg

The Arcus would seem very doable in the area. Of course to be completely scale accurate you will have to build your own tube. But if you accept very close to 1:1, then a four inch tube would do.

Depending on the weight of your tube and cone, I would think you could get it in possibly under five pounds. But 10 would certainly be doable.

Quickly ran 11 cm frame at 10 lbs and with five feet of guidance you could launch on some H motors if you don't mind staying below 500 feet. Could be a feature if you hate long walks. Trim the weight to five pounds and you can get up on a Few G motors.

I can't find the thread right now, but someone recently built a full scale Hellfire AGM-114. Been thinking about making one of those myself.

I was thinking of the Zuni rockets and some of the other air-to-ground rockets from WWWII to Vietnam War period. Then aagain there's all the early work of Werner Von Braun.

Thanks for the hellfire suggestions. I thought that one would be too big and heavy. Apparently not! Nice flight burkefj!

There's always the Polish Meteor-1. If you want to later, you can make it a Meteor-3 which is a second Meteor-1 booster strapped underneath. At full scale it is 120mm in diameter and 2550mm long or 4.72" in diameter by 100" long.

Meteor 004.jpg

Meteor 003.jpg

Meteor 002.jpg

Meteor 001.jpg

Dang... Now I remembered some more... All the rockets from "The Rocket Boys" (October Sky).

There's always the Polish Meteor-1. If you want to later, you can make it a Meteor-3 which is a second Meteor-1 booster strapped underneath. At full scale it is 120mm in diameter and 2550mm long or 4.72" in diameter by 100" long.

That is really nice, Brian!

Cheers,
Michael

There's the Loki Dart too.

Karl

https://www.astronautix.com/lvs/lokidart.htm

Data for PWN-1A:
Length (incl. booster) 2.63 m (8 ft 7.5 in); dart: 1.02 m (40 in)
Diameter Booster: 7.62 cm (3 in); dart: 3.49 cm (1.375 in)
Finspan Booster: 12.7 cm (5 in); dart: 8.6 cm (3.4 in)
Weight (incl. booster) 13 kg (29 lb); dart: 3.2 kg (7 lb)
Speed 6275 km-h (3900 mph)
Ceiling 55 km (34 miles; 180000 ft)
Propulsion JPL 132A solid-fuel rocket; 9.0 kN (2030 lb) for 1.9 s

If you're willing to go with a 38mm MMT, an I800 VMAX will lift a 15 pound rocket to about 500'.

Here is my full scale hellfire, made using foam sheets, flies on h and I 29mm motors

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?120317-full-scale-Hellfire-at-5-pounds

Frank,
Great job on the Hellfire. I like seeing people coming up with lightweight designs for large rockets. I have a Launch Pad Hellfire, and it flies really well. It was built with the standard 24mm motor mount, but I've only flown it on Aerotech E/F reloads. The Hellfire's fins just do not look like they are big enough to offer a stable flight.

Almost any unguided anti-tank rocket would be feasible for sure. Hell, some of them may be too small, you'd have to go into mid and low power in some cases. LAW and Bazooka rockets come to mind right from the start.

ARCAS, as has already been mentioned. That's the obvious one. The RW Lite version (thin-walled tubing) would be my choice of the two. At 10 lb, you should be able to use any motor with an average thrust around 250 or better and be all right.

Later!

--Coop

Back