Rockets for a group of ages 7-12 year olds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertaadele

Reaction score
My husband & I were asked to do a religious education class centered around rockets at our church for a theme of "let it go". We were hoping to build a rocket quickly with each kid. Any suggestions??

Based on recent classes I've taught, check out the Fliskits Education page. The Doo Dad, Whatchamacallit and Thing-a-ma-Jig kits are great for those ages and almost foolproof to build. The instructions are well written and illustrated.

If you don't put too powerful a motor into them, they will come back so that may not fall into your "let it go" theme. :wink:

Those look like they'd be great, especially with the jig-style fins.

If you're on a tighter budget, or just as another option the "school rocket" from balsa machining is also a great value:

https://www.balsamachining.com/

If the goal is to not recover, a C6-5 in the school rocket is nearly a guarantee (I know from experience ;)

Based on recent classes I've taught, check out the Fliskits Education page. The Doo Dad, Whatchamacallit and Thing-a-ma-Jig kits are great for those ages and almost foolproof to build. The instructions are well written and illustrated.

If you don't put too powerful a motor into them, they will come back so that may not fall into your "let it go" theme. :wink:
When I was working with 4th and 5th graders the Whatchamacallit kits
were a hit and we got the build and painted in 4 x 45 minute sessions
and few them the last 2 sessions. Kids loved it.

I taught a bunch of 4th grade model rocketry classes when my girls were in elementary school, back in the 90s. We decided that rockets with plastic fins would be best, since we were having all 3 classes build, and doing balsa fins was just too crazy for that young of a group, and that many (almost 100 kids). We liked the Estes Generic E2X, since it was all white, and the kids could easily color them, even with markers. Some took them home before launch day, and had their parents help paint. And others were content to leave them white. I beleive the kit now comes with stickers, but back then, no decorations were included.

I did a class of students that were older, Junior HS age. We used the Pratt Single Six with the fins cut out to prevent sliced fingers but these were kids in a Science class at the local Discovery Center and were science oriented in the first place. I had some of my rocket friends to help and 30 students. Two 2 hour sessions then off to launch. 3 Launch packs of A8-3 motors later I launched my 1/4 scale NCR Patriot on the big F they had ( don't remember the specifications) A good rocket day :)

In June our club Rad Rocketeers worked with a Cub Scout den to assemble and fly the Estes Color the Sky Model Rocket Bulk Pack.

The plastic fin can makes it easy to build in under an hour than launch.

SWMBO has spoken!

LMAO!

Actually, when we got to the launch today to pick up our order from the Wildman, she surprised me with one of the new 2.6" darkstars! Perfect for my L2!

If you are still looking, I encourage you to check out what we have at FlisKits. The Jig-Tech fins make assembly a breeze and are easily on par with any plastic fin unit without need of fancy adhesives and easily repaired if damaged.

Feel free to contact me via phone if you have any questions :)

Another good kit for your situation is the Costom Razor. Pre colored tube fins. Bigger body tube then a Gnome so its easyer for the kids to pack.

To further the them of "Let it go" you could do a pack of Estes Wizards. If any still have their fins after first flight, they can go up on a 18mm D21, never to be seen again. ;)

If you can order Through The Wall fins and tubes with fin slots cut - the assembly is a breeze with just yellow glue - call Balsa Machining Service or Discount Rocketry

Kenny

Back