New Product Release: TRACKIMO (gps tracking via cell phone) from Giant Leap Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddiejojo

Reaction score
[video=vimeo;135815461]https://vimeo.com/135815461[/video]Hi folks,

Giant Leap Rocketry is introducing for sale TRACKIMO, a GPS/cell network based tracking device used with your smart phones (Apple or Android) or computers to track and find your rocket or ANYTHING you want to put it on. TRACKIMO will work anywhere in the world that has a cell phone signal. Please watch the following GLR movie:

[video=vimeo;135815461]https://vimeo.com/135815461[/video]

a. price is $ 139.99 INCLUDING one year of cell service, and is renewable per year for $60. I PREVIOUSLY STATED YOU COULD PURCHASE SERVICE BY THE MONTH, THAT IS INCORRECT, YOU CAN ONLY PURCHASE SERVICE BY THE YEAR ($60)

b. accurate within fifty feet

c. no Ham license required, just your smart phone or tablet as a receiver, and a free app from TRACKIMO

d. small ( fits inside a 54mm airframe) and is user configurable

e. lightweight ( 1.4 oz )

f. multiple day battery life

g. works anywhere in the world you have a cell signal

This product is in stock now and ready to ship. Please go to https://www.giantleaprocketry.com/products/components_electronics.aspx to purchase or [email protected] with questions.

Thank you, be careful and have fun,

Kent/glr (aka: freddiejojo)
(620) 727-0045

Last edited:
If you can't see it within 50 feet, you have bigger issues than a "GPS tracker".

Not sure I see why I would spend that much money on a tracker only good to 50 feet...

Am I reading this wrong? How far up and away can this tracker function? I don't see any form of antennae protruding from the transmitter...

l Andy,

Let me take another stab at describing this. You launch a rocket from Houston and it catches one heck of a south wind and drifts north. Immediately you loose sight of it. But because you are smart and wise, you purchased a TRACKIMO unit from Giant Leap Rocketry and had it mounted inside your rocket. So you pull out your smart phone or tablet that has the TRACKIMO free app installed, turn it on and you can watch your rocket drift all the way North (by way of waypoints) past Oklahoma (or Arkansas, or New Mexico or wherever) and for this example it drifts all the way up to Kansas (or wherever) and watching the waypoints you realize, "hey, I'll call Kent because my rocket has landed at such-and-so position which is near where he lives (or wherever).

You call me and say "my rocket has landed at this spot (looking at the waypoints on the google map) and would you go pick it up for me? I say sure, because we both know that the location you have given me is ACCURATE TO WITHIN 50 FEET. And because I am such a nice guy and I appreciate you business, I might even mail your rocket back to you.

Does this help?

Also, and I say it again, there is NO external antenna. What you see is what you get and all you need.

The tracker does not give you an altitude, but it does continue to give you accurate waypoints perpendicular to the ground (accurate to within 50 feet).

And again, this tracker works anywhere in the WORLD that the TRACKIMO unit can connect to a cell phone tower so it can relay it's position back to you.

Does this help?

Kent/glr

Wow Kent,,
That's a great piece,,,
What a dynamite idea...
Just do it through a cell signal...
And I don't think it can be any easier...
Not expensive at all either...
Great deal Kent,,,,

Teddy

Thanks Ted,

Sometimes it is hard to wrap your brain around something that is easy and just works.

Kent/glr
tra #3065

Thanks Ted,

Sometimes it is hard to wrap your brain around something that is easy and just works. I was dubious myself until I got one.

Kent/glr
tra #3065

Kent,,
I think you're really onto something there...
That seems to be a big thing nowadays...
Everyone is so busy,, they just don't have the time for the peripherals necessary with many of the tracking options...
With that one what's the hardest,, most time consuming thing you have to do,, download the app to your phone or tablet...
That's fantastic...
That's about as plug and play as I've ever seen in a tracker,,, no ??

Teddy

And... if there IS NO cell service you are SOL!
Some launch site are remote enough where this can happen.

Buyer has been warned.

JD

And... if there IS NO cell service you are SOL!
Some launch site are remote enough where this can happen.

Buyer has been warned.

JD

Dear Mr. Cluster,

I do not know how I could have made that fact any clearer in all my posts and movie ("if your TRACKIMO can grab a cell tower signal, it will work"). No buyers need to be warned of anything because I have bent over backwards to say that again and again.

No vendor is in business to jerk customers around. If so, they won't be in business long.

Kent/glr
tra#3065
L3, chief bottle washer

Pretty dang nifty methinks, and not a bad price.
WAY better than having no tracking device at all, at the very least.

That said, for me it won't work - my launch zone has no cell service.
Too bad, and my loss.

I'd be interested in hearing other folk's experience with this.

s6

As I think about this product I'm liking it more and more. Although a bit heavy when you are trying to save every ounce in an MD flight, the lack of an antenna and especially managing its intrusion on valuable payload space is a huge plus.

As I think about this product I'm liking it more and more. Although a bit heavy when you are trying to save every ounce in an MD flight, the lack of an antenna and especially managing its intrusion on valuable payload space is a huge plus.

Mr. 93060,

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts. Yeah, it is 1.4 oz, especially when you want to watch every gram, but like you mentioned, there are many upsides as well. Don't forget my mention that it is just a hair large for a 38mm tube. And it still is just 1.4 oz!

Kent/glr

By 38mm tube, do you mean a BT or a rocket with a 38mm MMT? Will this be too big for an Estes PS II kit?

By 38mm tube, do you mean a BT or a rocket with a 38mm MMT? Will this be too big for an Estes PS II kit?

Mr. 79,

Good question, I cannot answer in regards to an Estes tube, because I don't know. As for 38mm, the TRACKIMO is about 1/8" too big to go inside a 38mm airframe or 38mm mmt (which is the same thing).

Does this answer your question? Any others?

Kent/cbw
(chief bottle washer)

Mr. 79,

Good question, I cannot answer in regards to an Estes tube, because I don't know. As for 38mm, the TRACKIMO is about 1/8" too big to go inside a 38mm airframe or 38mm mmt (which is the same thing).

Does this answer your question? Any others?

Kent/cbw
(chief bottle washer)

Yes it does! Thank you very much

Once the one year paid service is up, who do you pay for the ongoing support? And, can you buy it as needed or does it have to be contiguous? If as needed, how long after paying before the device is active, Last, if you let the service lapse during the "off season" is there a fee to reinstate?

Mr. 93060,

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts. Yeah, it is 1.4 oz, especially when you want to watch every gram, but like you mentioned, there are many upsides as well. Don't forget my mention that it is just a hair large for a 38mm tube. And it still is just 1.4 oz!

Kent/glr

Let me clarify... My weight/fit comparisons are versus a radio transmitter--my only current design option given space constraints. 1.4 oz is superb for a GPS option (cell coverage constrained or not).

I've got a few questions:

* Regarding fit (or lack of) into a 38mm tube - is it possible to either alter the case, or take the guts out of the case so that they would fit into a 38mm? I know that some folks do something along these lines with Garmin dog trackers.

This unit appears to be made and marketed for all kinds of uses, with Kent realizing that it's applicable to rocketry and therefore presenting to all of us. But I have a bunch of questions specifically related to actual rocketry use. Seeing as the company that makes it did not do so with rocketry in mind, it occurs to me that a lot of "real world" rocketry beta testing was perhaps not done. I'm seeing experience with using these units with drones, dogs, car tracking, etc., but not much or any ACTUAL rocketry use. Concerns are:

* Will these dork altimeters if they are in the same AV bay, or close by?
* Any concerns with being close to all-thread and such, as typically found in many AV bays?
* Will they maintain or lose GPS/cell lock under acceleration, and how well/quickly do they regain it?
* Any issues with obtaining or maintaining GPS/cell lock when inside various nose cone or airframe materials (glass, carbon, etc.)?
* If you were taping the unit to a shock cord (as is typical with many RF transmitters), how to these hold up to this sort of use/abuse?
* Any concerns with shock/knocking about/high-G situations?

* Lastly, a big concern. I confess I'm pretty ignorant about legalities involved, as well as how this unit actually works, so my concerns here could be unfounded. That said, my understanding has always been that launching/flying cell phones is a big no-no as far as the FAA is concerned. Isn't this what you are in effect doing with this unit? Am I right that this unit is a basically a GPS receiver coupled with a "cell phone" that calls it's GPS data back to another cell phone on the ground? Is it legal for us to use them in this way?

Kent, please don't think I'm bashing this. Assuming there are satisfactory answers to these questions, I think this unit has great potential for us, and I can see lots of folks using them. More (and cheaper) tracking options is a very good thing. I just want to make sure that we are "doing it right".

I look forward to the discussion,
s6

Once the one year paid service is up, who do you pay for the ongoing support? And, can you buy it as needed or does it have to be contiguous? If as needed, how long after paying before the device is active, Last, if you let the service lapse during the "off season" is there a fee to reinstate?

Morning Al,

To purchase more time (per month) for your TRACKIMO, you go online to www.trackimo.com to handle that transaction, which is also the same place you go to activate the unit after purchase. CORRECTION, YOU CAN ONLY PURCHASE SERVICE BY THE YEAR ($60), NOT BY THE MONTH. MY APOLOGIES. How soon will the unit re-activate after you buy time after the first year? As soon as the computers handling the transaction can process it. There is no fee to "re-instate". And the first year is included in the original price with the unit ($139.99).

One other item I wish to mention, the TRACKIMO company "price protects" their product. The national sales manager stated if any re-seller is found to sell this product at a lower price than $139.99, that re-seller will loose the right to sell this product. To emphasize that fact, he mentioned than Amazon.com wanted to sell this unit, but they refused their business because they knew eventually Amazon would be discounting it.

So, you can buy a TRACKIMO anywhere for the same price, even direct. But if rocket fliers are honest about their statements wanting new and better products, support the people who are trying to bring new products to you by keeping your dollars inside the rocket community. I can assure you Giant Leap has many more "rabbits" we will be pulling out of the hat in new products, in fact there are two more I want to debut this coming week, one of which may be bigger than the two already introduced. And this is why we got out of motors and have been very quiet because of this R&D.

You are the ones who control this hobby's destiny or destruction.

Kent/glr

Last edited:
I've got a few questions:

* Regarding fit (or lack of) into a 38mm tube - is it possible to either alter the case, or take the guts out of the case so that they would fit into a 38mm? I know that some folks do something along these lines with Garmin dog trackers.

This unit appears to be made and marketed for all kinds of uses, with Kent realizing that it's applicable to rocketry and therefore presenting to all of us. But I have a bunch of questions specifically related to actual rocketry use. Seeing as the company that makes it did not do so with rocketry in mind, it occurs to me that a lot of "real world" rocketry beta testing was perhaps not done. I'm seeing experience with using these units with drones, dogs, car tracking, etc., but not much or any ACTUAL rocketry use. Concerns are:

* Will these dork altimeters if they are in the same AV bay, or close by?
* Any concerns with being close to all-thread and such, as typically found in many AV bays?
* Will they maintain or lose GPS/cell lock under acceleration, and how well/quickly do they regain it?
* Any issues with obtaining or maintaining GPS/cell lock when inside various nose cone or airframe materials (glass, carbon, etc.)?
* If you were taping the unit to a shock cord (as is typical with many RF transmitters), how to these hold up to this sort of use/abuse?
* Any concerns with shock/knocking about/high-G situations?

* Lastly, a big concern. I confess I'm pretty ignorant about legalities involved, as well as how this unit actually works, so my concerns here could be unfounded. That said, my understanding has always been that launching/flying cell phones is a big no-no as far as the FAA is concerned. Isn't this what you are in effect doing with this unit? Am I right that this unit is a basically a GPS receiver coupled with a "cell phone" that calls it's GPS data back to another cell phone on the ground? Is it legal for us to use them in this way?

Kent, please don't think I'm bashing this. Assuming there are satisfactory answers to these questions, I think this unit has great potential for us, and I can see lots of folks using them. More (and cheaper) tracking options is a very good thing. I just want to make sure that we are "doing it right".

I look forward to the discussion,
s6

Okay Mr. 6,

Let me take your questions in order:

a. can you alter the case? I am certain knowing you'al out there that it is only a matter of time before someone tries. Be forwarned, you will void any warranty

b. I asked the sales manager if this unit would handle shocks of 25-50gs and he said yes. Personally, my unit came loose from my drone and 300 feet and hit onto a concrete parking lot and nothing happened-it still worked. I will provide my personal unit for use at the Airfest launch coming up the end of this month at Argonia to those interested.

c. I cannot answer how these might affect other electronics, that is a case by case situation for any electronics you need to confirm as you mount them in a rocket. But appreciate the fact that drones have a boat-load of electronics of a far more sophisticated nature than any rocket that I am aware of in this hobby. In fact, except for a little aluminum, some carbon fiber or plastic, that is all they are is electronics, and they get along happy as clams with a TRACKIMO.

d. Will all-thread affect a TRACKIMO's performance? Please refer back to my movie where I show it operating inside a metal car trunk and it still produces normal way-points. In fact TRACKIMO sell this same unit with different cords so you can install it permanently inside your car as a method to locate your car if some shyster steals it. The answer is no, all-thread will have no effect.

e. Will it loose lock under acceleration? Certainly, all GPS I have ever seen have lost lock but then regain it within seconds. But it doesn't matter because it only pulses out a way-point at the maximum of once per minute anyway.

f. As stated in my movie, I cannot advise in regards to carbon fiber blocking the signal. Then again, and I can give you more examples, I turn it on before I leave home to go to a job, and it rides inside my car just fine. Fiberglass will not block any signal.

g. I would not tape anything or any tracking device to a shockcord. Not because it will damage the TRACKIMO or any RF transmitter, but you run the real risk of a poor attachment to the shokcord and then the rocket and tracker go their separate ways and you have accomplished nothing. And I would like a dollar for every antenna I have had to replace on my Walston transmitters. REMINDER-there are no external antennas on a TRACKIMO.

h. I know nothing about the FAA and cell phones except you are not to have one on while you are in an airliner. If you have any information towards not putting cell equipment in rockets outside of conjecture, hey, I am all ears.

I know you are not bashing and I appreciate the thought you have put into your questions. Also, I appreciate you wanting to do the right thing.

Keep the questions coming, I will do my best to answer and also tell you if I don't know as well.

Kent/glr

Thanks for the response/answers Kent - it's understood that some of them will still need a bit further fleshing out (specifically IF there is any "cell in rockets" concern). And yes, I appreciate and acknowledge that my own concern is based on conjecture - that's why I'm asking here on the forum to see if someone who DOES know about such things can chime in.

It will be very interesting to hear about some of the actual rocketry use of these units. I'm sure as folks start flying with them, there will be all sorts of good information to be had. For those of you that do get/fly these - please post your experiences!

I also get where you are coming from as regards to the "please buy from within the rocket community" thing. I had a similar thought myself. If the price is the same no matter where you get it, it seems only right to support vendors from our own circles rather than send that cash "outside". Thanks Kent/Ed for bringing this product in and offering it to us rocket folk. I'm hopeful about where this goes.

s6

Thanks for the response/answers Kent - it's understood that some of them will still need a bit further fleshing out (specifically IF there is any "cell in rockets" concern). And yes, I appreciate and acknowledge that my own concern is based on conjecture - that's why I'm asking here on the forum to see if someone who DOES know about such things can chime in.

It will be very interesting to hear about some of the actual rocketry use of these units. I'm sure as folks start flying with them, there will be all sorts of good information to be had. For those of you that do get/fly these - please post your experiences!

I also get where you are coming from as regards to the "please buy from within the rocket community" thing. I had a similar thought myself. If the price is the same no matter where you get it, it seems only right to support vendors from our own circles rather than send that cash "outside". Thanks Kent/Ed for bringing this product in and offering it to us rocket folk. I'm hopeful about where this goes.

s6

Ed is the one you want to thank because it is he who is putting his money on the line for this and many other things to come for everyone's benefit.

Kent

To all,

I need to make one correction. I asked the TRACKIMO sales director to review this thread and confirm my answers. All is correct except for one issue: YOU CAN ONLY RENEW YOUR TRACKIMO A YEAR AT A TIME, NOT ONE MONTH AT A TIME. So to review, you cannot buy one month of service at a time, YOU CAN ONLY BUY SERVICE ONE YEAR AT A TIME, which will cost $60.

Sorry for my error, Kent

Back