Aerocon magnetic switch -- how to wire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
The Aerocon switch has +In, Out, and Gnd. I can figure out where the positive lead goes. :grin: But does the negative lead go to the ground or the "Out"? And if it is the "Out", do I do anything with the ground? I guess you can't truly ground a rocket. :cyclops:

It switches the positive lead to your altimeter. So, the positive battery (+) attaches to + In. When the switch is activated, Out completes the circuit to your altimeter. The negative, or ground is necessary for the switch to fuction; you will have a separate negative directly from the battery to the altimeter.

RRC3_Mag_zps69f48a70.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, gents. Sorry to resurrect an oldie, here. But please indulge me. In Worsaer's drawing, the "switch" terminals are jumpered, and the positive circuit is broken from the battery.

Could I use the switch terminals on my StratoLoggerCF? And if so, would it look like the right-side drawing below (interpretation of Worsaer's on left)? And, is there any advantage to doing it either way?

wiring.JPG

Could I use the switch terminals on my StratoLoggerCF? And if so, would it look like the right-side drawing below

That will only work if one side of the switch terminal is internally connected to the + terminal of the battery.

Steve G.

Last edited:
So, how would I know, and if it isn't, then what is the purpose of the "switch" terminals if you just have to jumper them and not use them?

So, how would I know, and if it isn't, then what is the purpose of the "switch" terminals if you just have to jumper them and not use them?

I use the same mag switches with the SLCF. I have several altimeter bays wired this way but there are at least a couple of ways to do this. To save my fingers on the keyboard see this post https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...netic-switch-wiring&highlight=magnetic+switch You will see that Wayco wires his differently than me but he says his works and I know mine do so pick whatever makes sense to you.

Last edited:

You can look where the terminals are soldered on the flip side of the board. I'm looking at a photo of the board of the StrattoLoggerCF and can see that the + terminal for the battery is connected directly to the switch terminal to its left, so it should work. You just need to connect the + IN on the Mag switch to this terminal and the Out from the mag switch to the other.

Steve G

Last edited:
Just jumper the switch terminals on your SLCF and use the battery connections. It's the same with all electronic switches... Aerocon, Featherweight, and yes, ours. As sghioto mentioned, the second diagram only works if you get it just right, and if you get it wrong you've just shorted your LiPo battery.

Here is a picture of the switch on an SLCF.

In my case, which is wired according to the manufacturer:
Ground on switch and negative on battery go to neg on altimeter, see green and black wires in the right most terminal block.
Positive on battery goes to positive on altimeter, see the second terminal block from the right, red wire

I colour coded the two last red wires on the terminal block to correspond with the magnetic switch, see green on the outside (left) on switch corresponds with green on the outside (right) on altimeter. Then yellow on the inside (right) on switch, corresponds with the inside or (left) most terminal on altimeter.

Hope this clears it up for you.

View attachment 273282

For anyone looking at this and saying it can be done another way I would suggest we leave that for another post as it is just going to add doubt and confusion to the thread for the OP.

Last edited:
Back