Annual Charity Bike Ride

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
Hey folks

This year as for the previous four, I will be taking part in the Ride Closer to Free event to support the Smilow Cancer Hospital. As I did last year, my goal is to complete the full 100 mile circuit. So I’d like you to consider trading a little of your money for a lot of sweat and soreness on my part. Pedaling 100 miles is no mean feat, however it is nothing compared to what the victims of Cancer go through. Together we can really do a lot to work towards that world in which we really are free of Cancer. I do appreciate any support you can give in my effort this year.

If you would like to support my effort and those of the Smilow Cancer Hospital, please click here.

Oh yes, please, some folks have in the past had some serious issues with the idea of hospitals raising money. I know it is the whole $10 cotton ball thing. I would appreciate it if folks would not dilute this thread with that kind of discussion. I am simply supporting something I believe in and if you agree, clicking on a link to join me is all you need to do (though if you can't afford anything and just would like to cheer me on that is welcome too).

P.S. Karen (Cato-Chutes) - will be chasing my sorry ass up the hills so if you like her better (and who wouldn't), you can donate here

Heck yes, I'm in.

Lots of reasons: I'm a cyclist myself. I've done a bunch of charity rides like this (was top 10 fundraiser in Utah's MS150 a couple years running in fact - raised $2000+ each time). Like most people, I've got family and friends that have been touched by cancer (some that beat it, some that succumbed). You are a fellow TRF member. I've even got a niece that does oncology work in the New Haven area (I grew up (sort of) in Colchester btw - pretty close to you). And.....it's just the right thing to do.

Best of luck with your fundraising - please let us know how it goes. And do give a "launch report" of the event itself too!

Yes, 100 miles is "no mean feat" (try 150!). That said, I think these events are such a blast to do - lots of pretty cool camaraderie, closed (or at least "partially closed") roads, lots of support (water/food/encouragement stops all along the way), and such a great atmosphere of doing something good. So many different types of riders - from racer-types to folks who NEVER do anything like this normally - and it's all good. You can get into all kinds of mini-competitions at whatever level you are comfortable with, or you can cruise easy at the back of the pack and still feel great about it. Take it however it goes.

So, yeah I'm in. Funds/pledge, and hope for a wind at your back, sent. It ain't huge, but I know from experience that every bit helps.

s6

Back