potential of Kno3 rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kno3Aaron

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Aaron i am new to the forum and new to rocketry. it is something i have been interested in a while have build in launched "hobby rockets" but have been learning and researching on kno3/sugar rockets.
i am experimenting small scale in manufacturing kno3/sugar solid rocket fuel.
one thing i am wondering is what kind of scale can an kno3 rocket reach?
is there a point in witch engine temperature and pressure would become unstable in causing destruction of engine?
for example.. would it be viable to build an kno3 engine that would produce 100lds of thrust?

Just questions that are on my mind about these engines.

and so you can get an understanding of what experience i do have in a small amount of rocket science here is a video of a go kart i made :p

[video=youtube;56z7Y5xQg80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56z7Y5xQg80[/video]

thank you for reading this pose and hope i enjoy my stay here

I started into rocketry thinking KNO3 was the way to go due to cost. I was very quickly told that you can only pick two of the cheap/safe/reliable triangle, and you need both safe and reliable. Re your kart, you couldn't pay me to sit that close to a sugar rocket, let alone one of APCP. I'm just passing along the message I was given. This is only a safe hobby if you take precautions.

Last edited:
haha i defiantly don't plan on making a rocket powered go kart like you sed would be to dangerous and could not pay me enough as well. Just wondering the potential of the KNO3 for rockets only, but give me a jet engine and will much fun :)

Black powder rockets have a long history, though most of the development these days is done by folks in the field of pyrotechnics. A BP rocket with 100lbs of thrust is easily achievable. Some guys make motors with a BP grain 1.5" in diameter and up to about 14 inches long. They can achieve the impulse of a large I or small J motor.

However - you're stumbling into an area where the regulation is far more restrictive than rocketry, and the production risks far exceed those for APCP.

Kevin

To strictly answer the question, look at "sugar shot to space" website

However, you need to be a Tripoli certified level 2 flyer to do experimental motors - and any motor you fly is by definition high power and requires a waiver from the FAA.

Depending on where you live (eg sunny CA) there could be even more regulations

BTW sugar motors are classified as explosive devices, which requires a explosive user's permit and a magazine to do it "right"

the advantages of APCP are that they are not explosive, you don't have to cook them (bringing them close to their ignition temps) and they will get you more ISP then any sugar motor.

If you're serious, get certified, take a class, get a mentor. It's not a cheap start up (mixer, degas equipment, initial chems). Doing it yourself can be much more costly (cato motor and loose rocket, bad procedures or safety precautions and burn down your house). It's not overly hard but DYI becomes a steep learning curve.

JMHO

If you are really interested in high power rockets you should look for a club where more experienced people can help you. Where are you located?

i figured there would be some sort of lic involved from manufacturing the propellant i don't really plan on going large scale just very small engines just to learn more about rocketry. i do plan on taking some classes tho that a local collage offers to better educate myself to be more safe and knowing

thank you for the reply it is greatly appreciated.

i am in st Louis mo there really is not much here unfortunately, but do plan on taking some classes and learning about rocketry before i just dive in i know it can be dangerous just from building a jet kart :)

thank you for the reply i greatly appreciate it

1 pound of thrust equals 4.45 Newton of thrust so a 100 pound thrust motor equals 445 N. This is typical of a higher thrust level 1 or a lower thrust level 2 hobby rocket motor. A 29 mm Pro29 168H410 with 0.17 pounds of APCP has a burn time of 0.4 seconds and a 75 mm Pro75 4937L395 with 7.5 pounds of APCP propellant has a burn time of 12.5 seconds and are typical of the range of nominal 100 pound thrust commercial APCP motors. Sugar propellant is not very efficient and you would need between 0.3 pounds to 8.5 pounds of sugar propellant in a motor to cover the performance range of the APCP motors listed above.

Additionally as mentioned before, APCP motors are not regulated by BATFE as explosives but sugar propellant is, so any sugar motor larger than 62.5 grams are technically a controlled motor requiring a BATFE explosives license so you have to jump through a number of hoops to legally store, transport and use them.

Rocket motors of any type are inefficient and expensive compared to a jet engine like you are currently using because the rocket propellant contains it's own oxygen and does not require atmospheric oxygen to function. It is also much easier to develop higher thrust levels with an inexpensive jet engine using fuel you can purchase at any gas station and you can turn it on or off at will and control the thrust level by varying the fuel flow rate, neither is possible with a solid rocket motor.

For carting purposes you will get more bang for the buck with a jet engine than a rocket motor and be able to generate a lot more power easily at the same time.

Bob

Back