Paper mache Dragon follow up !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Just a follow up on what you can do with paper mache clay. I got a little more done on the wife's Dragon, still a long way to go. I did have to break out the air brush !!-

20150806_192140.jpg

20150806_192149.jpg

20150806_192157.jpg

20150806_192209.jpg

20150806_192231.jpg

20150806_192240.jpg

20150806_192254.jpg

Thanks, I've done a bit more since these pics. I'm down to detail stuff now. I still have a long way to go ,but it shows what we can do with paper mache clay. The dried product is quite lite. For scale purposes, this has a 5 ft wingspan !!

On another note--This was my first adventure with CreateX paints as well !! I like them so far. I've been using pearls for this--also a first for me. I'm still playing with thinning and air pressure but it's pretty straight forward stuff !!

Generally, I thought that fire and paper wouldn't mix well... This however... WOW!!!

I still have a long way to go ,but it shows what we can do with paper mache clay.

When you first posted this in the other thread, I thought it was very impressive, but figured it was a nicer version of the paper mache many of us worked with in elementary school...boy, was I wrong! Paint and detail really brings it out too.

BTW - Where does the rocket motor go? :wink:

That dragon is looking awesome! So talented, about the only thing I ever made in paper mache was a volcano for the grade school science fair. Excellent job!

Wow!!! That's really impressive! Are those individual scales or are they a pressed pattern? Did you use cloth for the wings? As people have mentioned, it would make a neat rocket/RG/BG!

What kind of dragon is it? A white dragon? Grey? Frost? Sand?
S/he also appears to have a saddle. Are you sculpting a rider too?

I once met a woman during an airbrush demo at an art store who put her two kids through college by making & selling paper mache animal heads. At the time, I thought it was odd but after seeing this, I can understand.

Looking forward to the completed model! :)

Wow!!! That's really impressive! Are those individual scales or are they a pressed pattern? Did you use cloth for the wings? As people have mentioned, it would make a neat rocket/RG/BG!

What kind of dragon is it? A white dragon? Grey? Frost? Sand?
S/he also appears to have a saddle. Are you sculpting a rider too?

I once met a woman during an airbrush demo at an art store who put her two kids through college by making & selling paper mache animal heads. At the time, I thought it was odd but after seeing this, I can understand.

Looking forward to the completed model! :)
Thanks, I used a press and pull method for the scales with some sheet rock mud. It took some learning but once I got used to how things reacted and the dry time needed it was pretty straight forward but time consuming. To answer the other questions---- It's a snow dragon but in her summer colors---this stuff takes some imagination !! And yes I have a plastic figure that is being modified greatly to stand next to her. The fact of the matter is--The figure has been a real PITA. I wanted her--It's a female-- to have a sort of knights armor. That's turned out to be a real challenge. I started with foil as a base for the parts but that was a disaster so now I've gone to very thin clay and that seems to be on the right track. I don't have any pics of that process but I'll get some up. I painted the figure with a gloss black overall color and then began to apply the armor---funny, it looks like a storm trooper right now !! I am going to add some pearl white overall to lighten the dragon up just a tick.

Last edited:
Break out the DragonRider series!
I am waiting to see how you are going to do the eyes on that beautiful beast.
Here are some books to put you in the right frame of mind.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...rn+box+set&sprefix=Dragonrider,stripbooks,195

I got the eyes done yesterday. I used metallic green with pearl black for the pupil slit. I put a fine line of pearl yellow around the pupil. Next I coated the whole eye ball with 4 coats of future. They came out great, at least I think so. it's small size makes them hard to get a pic of but I'm gonna use a friends camera today to try and get a pic. I used these as a guide--eyes.jpgeyes2.jpg

Last edited:
This is a little better pic of the eye--a little lower light helped---and a little more work done in the mouth area--IMG_0005.jpg

Welllllll, guess I'd have to say, I mean, if realistic is what you were going for.........

You NAILED IT!!!!

Can't wait to see the rider!!

Now, about the JQ.................

Oh, a snow dragon! Great job on the eyes! The shine from the Future really makes them stand out.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rider too! An alternative for the armor would be polymer clay (Super Sculpey, Sculpey III, Premo, Fimo, etc) from Michael's, Joann's, .... Bake separately from the figure in a 2nd hand toaster oven (not a food one) and then glue onto your figure.

A more expensive alternative for modelling armor is to use epoxy putty from Aves (Apoxie Sculpt, same makers as Fixit clay touted by Apogee) or Magic Sculp, sometimes sold at art stores. It has a 2-hour work time (closer to 1 hr actually), it holds detail incredibly well, feathers/blends well, and can be carved, drilled, tapped, etc. The drawback is that it's expensive. It's much, much better than crude plumbers putty.

Amazing talent & work!!!

Uh, what's a JQ?

Oh, a snow dragon! Great job on the eyes! The shine from the Future really makes them stand out.

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up using air dry putty for the armor. I'll get some pics out later. I really didn't think about posting pics of it here since the figure was an add-on to the " GREAT PAPER MACHE EXPERIMENT" which was rocketry related. As far as the JQ--- That's the Jonny Quest "Dragonfly" , it's an on again, off again, long term project of mine.Right now it's off again but next in line after the wife's Dragon is complete. If your interested , go to the scratch build section and search Dragonfly. While your at it , check out the 20 Mill project,Bainbridge( still to fly) and the Thunderchild (still to fly)--- if your into that kind of stuff

Last edited:
For those of you interested in the figure. I used an action figure from the toy dept at wally world as my basis. I couldn't tell you which one and I hope it wasn't one of those thousand dollar collectibles!Anyways, I wanted some armor on her, after a lot of trial and error--tin foil--paper--plastic----bla, bla---I settled on air dry clay for the armor. Here are some pics of the process. I've started to apply paint. I've used a mixture of silver metallic, gold metallic, and pearl white. This was air brushed on over a black primer. Now I have to go back and brush in the under garment color--not sure yet what that color is-----20150811_083418.jpg20150811_100526.jpg20150817_105600.jpg20150817_105615.jpg20150817_184803.jpg20150818_084421.jpg - thanks for checking it out--H

A bit more done. The sooner I'm finished the sooner I can get back to rockets !-20150818_181640.jpg20150818_181651.jpg20150818_181712.jpg---still some detail work to do....

You know, I looked at the first jointed pics and thought, "looks like a fake Barbie doll, that's never gonna work...." Then to the nearly finished product and like, ShaZaam! Even the cape in the dragon wing draft looks right. It really is fun to see your work, and your threads and presentations of it are one of the things that makes this a great forum.

With the exceptions of a few minor details this project is behind me and it's time to get back to rockets. I've learned a lot a long the way, some of which will show itself in my future builds..........So what's the story behind this diorama? The Dragon Warrior and her life long companion, a rare Mountain Snow Dragon, survey the area of the last great battle. Spring winds are blowing and the snow has mostly melted , leaving evidence of the battle fought the previous winter. Bits of armor and broken weapons litter the ground, testament to the savage battle. Fairy Killers, small scavenger dragons , have carried off the remains of the dead. With the enemy vanquished, The Dragon Warrior will turn her attention to her companion. The Snow Dragon is in her matting colors. Perhaps she could find a Red Valley Dragon to mate. Legend says their offspring would be larger than their parents and have the power of fire and ice.------20150824_163541.jpg20150824_163550.jpg20150824_163601.jpg20150824_163611.jpg20150824_163626.jpg Hope you have enjoyed this little adventure--and now back to rockets---------------but there is that Red Valley Dragon................................................

Last edited:
Awesome work! Love the artistry there. Your creative use of materials in this & your other builds are really neat! Would love to see this and the Dragonfly fly! ;)

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like working with new stuff. This whole thing could have gone bad fast, but it's pretty forgiving to work with, I'll be using it in upcoming builds for sure. I think I will do another one pretty soon-- this one was for the wife---I'd like one now !!I'll work on it before it gets too cold since most of the work has to be done on my back deck because of the size.

Latest posts

Back