New Estes Goblin Release build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Just received my Estes Goblin today, should be a fun easy built.

DSC_0170 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0176 (1024x681).jpg

YES! One of my favorites!

Later!

--Coop

I built a clone of one not all that long ago (original decals, but the rest was new parts). Fun 4FNC build.

What's that piece of paper with the DRM on it (visible in the unbagged photo)?

Thanks!
Jim

Looks like that your kit is missing the balsa fin sheet :y:

Oops, I'll take a picture of the laser cut fins. Also I compared the plastic nose, original nose, Semroc nose and the new Estes balsa nose in the Hornet kit. The Estes Hornets nose is an exact match to the original balsa nose.

Here she is all built ready for primer.........3 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer.....

DSC_0145 (1024x1003).jpg

I have a BTH-70 upscale on the table needing a little more sanding of the primer then paint. Started it before I heard that Estes was re-releasing it.

After sealing the fins with 3 coats of balsa sealer, I sprayed one coat of grey primer followed by yellow. I will allow this to dry then spray the black fin. I am glad that Estes brought this kit back, fun and easy to build.

DSC_0142 (1024x1009).jpg

DSC_0151 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0153 (1024x1020).jpg

DSC_0156 (1024x1020).jpg

DSC_0162 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0164 (1024x681).jpg

Leo, I have the laser cut fins picture on my wife camera, I will post pictures.

2.75 Engine hook.
I sprayed the gloss black fin and applied the decals. The decals went on great with no issues. Side by Side the old Goblin and new Goblin look identical except the engine hook. I used Rustoleum Rust Stop paints and primer. Onto the next build.

DSC_0143 (1024x1018).jpg

DSC_0149 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0154 (1024x1020).jpg

DSC_0160 (1024x1020).jpg

DSC_0168 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0169 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0170 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0174 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0175 (1024x681).jpg

Also I compared the plastic nose, original nose, Semroc nose and the new Estes balsa nose in the Hornet kit. The Estes Hornets nose is an exact match to the original balsa nose.
Do you have a picture of all of those side by side? Preferably on a plain background.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

2.75 Engine hook.
I sprayed the gloss black fin and applied the decals. The decals went on great with no issues. Side by Side the old Goblin and new Goblin look identical except the engine hook. I used Rustoleum Rust Stop paints and primer. Onto the next build.

Limited experience asking; how did you tape off everything else when you painted the gloss black fin? Thanks a lot in advance! (I don't have much painting experience)

I have the original 70s BNC55AO, Estes current Balsa Nose and Plastic BNC55AO nose. I will have to dig out my Semroc Goblin kit.
I don't think that is the same Aeogloss that I use from Midwest products.
I do fillets, just plain white glue. I first apply tape around the black fin. Then cut a slit in a small plastic bag and place the whole rocket in the bag with the to be black fin sticking out. Then apply tape to cover the slit in the plastic bag. Very fast and effective, takes 10 min to prep.

Here is BEC's Goblin flying this past Saturday. The dual streamer recovery is definitely unique. I didn't catch which engine he used but I think I was a C6-5.

[video=youtube;6y5ndImV8zM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5ndImV8zM[/video]

Yes, it was a C6-5 (in one of Estes 18/24mm red plastic adapters - slick device). Stock except for two things: first, it has a UMRS BT-55 baffle in it (so no wadding needed), and second I only used one of the two pats of clay in the nose cone.

Wait! I'm confused.
Does Estes make the Goblin....or SEMROC?

I just picked up a SEMROC Goblin and have shot it with white primer, then flat black nosecone, and a yellow body.
But I must have overlooked the black fin. All four look yellow in the cover diagram.

Also, how confident are you in the streamer recovery? I would have thought a small plastic chute would have been much safer.... or am I wrong? Is there no room inside, or is it a matter of weight?

Please advise, as I'm getting close to making that decision.

Does Estes make the Goblin....or SEMROC?

The answer to this question, at least at this time, is "yes".

The Goblin has always been streamer recovery, from its initial release. It first appeared in the 1972 Estes catalog (along with the first Estes D motors).

The Semroc Retro Repro uses the long crepe paper single streamer and the balsa nose cone of the original. It comes with an 18mm motor adapter.

The just-released Estes reissue has a plastic nose cone and an interesting twin (plastic) streamer setup. It does not have an adapter for a smaller motor, but the existing 18/24mm Estes adapters (the red plastic ones) work just great.

You could always use a parachute....be prepared for a long walk. It is not unusual to pop a fin off of a Goblin on landing - I have had that happen both with my original and my Semroc Retro-Repro. So far the Estes reissue hasn't done so yet (in two flights). The video flyfalcons posted above is of that second flight.

Last edited:
Back