What operating system do you use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Operating System do you use?

• OS X Yosemite or El Capitan

• OS X Mavericks or earlier

• Windows 10

• Windows 8 or 8.1

• Windows 7 or earlier

• Linux

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
What with the recent release of Windows 10 it got me wondering what OS the majority of rocketeers use. Myself I've been a dedicated Mac user since 2007, but the latest version of Windows has me wondering if I wan't to install it alongside OS X on my MacBook...

I.ve signed up for the release but from what I've read of it I won't be installing. I'll continue to use Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. I just don't like the tablet style interface.

8.1 primary, 7 for anything that doesn't like 8.x, ubuntu for fun, and soon to be 10.

I'm currently testing Windows 10 on my laptop. So far, the screen is intermittently distorting, but it may be that the video card coincidently began having problems at the same time I installed Windows 10. But this is making me hesitate about installing it on my wife's laptop and my desktop, both of whidh are running Windows 7. So far, I don't care for the interface and it seems slower than Windows 7.

Always been a Windows guy. Currently using 8.1, pondering the update to 10

Windows desktop for playing video games, two Macbook pros and various linux servers for anything software development related.

Currently Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit. I have another system I play with occasionally that has Ubuntu on it- really solid Linux distribution for those looking for an excellent OS for free.

Hopefully, after Christmas, I will have a bit more cash. Then I think I might upgrade the home system to a refurbished 6-8 core Xeon workstation. Run a hyper visor on it so I can run pretty much whatever is I want.

Win 10 . So far, I am very impressed.

I think they should have called this Windows 15.1 as they have taken the best of both operating systems.

Weird and wonderful thing. I installed Win 10 on my main system and it set itself up almost like Win 7, and I then set it up on my notebook, which installed almost as 8.1 with all the touch screen, etc.

Also... the home version DOES NOT have the 16GB limit. I am happily running a HOME version on the kids PC with 32GB RAM.

Win 10 also seems to be slightly faster when it comes to games.

Linux Mint. No more Windows for me unless I cannot avoid it at work. I'm not into Macs either. 4000$ for a laptop? No thank you ;)

I love Ubuntu, but my chess programs require Windows. I just updated my main computer from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 and am enjoying it quite a bit. I was immediately impressed that it didn't function too differently and many of the special features can be turned off for a cleaner OS experience.

I have a couple computers;
My main computer is home built, 5 years old running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Laptop also Win 7 64 bit.
Tablet win 8.1, Newest computer came with win 7; upgraded to 8.1 Pro; upgraded that to 10 Pro this past Tues.

I haven't really used Win 10 enough to give an honest opinion of it....

JD

Win7 here. Will upgrade to win10 after a few months of bugfixes.

I used to linux (debian, arch) but I got tired of having to hit things with a hammer before they'd work.

Picked Mac OS Yosemite, Win 7, Linux and other.

My goto machine at home is a four-year-old 13 inch MacBook Pro. Three active Windows machines in the house are all on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (one HP desktop and two Acer netbooks, one of which often goes to the flying field with me).

I have another netbook with Ubuntu Linux on it as an experiment, but haven't spent much time with it yet. I'd like to figure out how to get the Altus Metrum software running on it.

I use iOS (iPhone 6+) at the field for my AltimeterThree, RocketCalc and SmartLaunch apps (and taking slow motion videos of flights). Also have a 7 inch Android tablet that gets very little use (but has the Android AlitmeterThree app on it).

I did the update then spent an hour stripping it out. Bogus bullcrap. If I wanted a tablet I'd buy one and not convert my PC to one. It's Win 7 Pro until they stop supporting it like they did 3.1 then XP.....

I did the update then spent an hour stripping it out. Bogus bullcrap. If I wanted a tablet I'd buy one and not convert my PC to one. It's Win 7 Pro until they stop supporting it like they did 3.1 then XP.....
Device convergence isn't your cup of tea? I'm also having problems liking heavy web pages that look like they would on your phone and are full of pop ups and adds. We are getting old ;)

I MIGHT give it another chance, my favorite computer geek says it's ok. Looks like once I learn how to use it I can get rid of the "Tablet" feature and get a more "normal" interface. Like finding the regular Start menu is a right click instead of a simple left click.

Maybe I should watch more youtube videos on how to use it :p

Win 7 - it just lays there til I click something , I like boring and works well.

My rig is 6 years old and I think only Devils Canyon can womp it - but it is a 40x100 where mine is running as a 24x160 ..

Funny thing is I didn't build it as the end all, just to be snappy and solid ..mid range board..sub $200 cpu (Core i5 750) .. CAS-7 DDR1600 .. GDDR5 128bit Video Card

Next will be mini-itx ..mainbox will mount VESA to monitor or wall - very small like a cable modem , but still will have boot & storage ect - and will run win 7 for media center .

Kenny
cpu-id.jpg

Last edited:
Windows 10 since it released. I really like it so far and have not noticed any issues. I need to start looking into Rocket software.

Open Rocket works w/ windows 10 provided you have the current version of Java, or at least it does on my machine.
Rex

Mac OS 10 Mavericks, iOS 8.4 on iPad and iPhone. No Windows here, but use it at work.

Back