$179 3D printer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I posted another thread, I'm having to learn 3d drawing as well, so I'll offer as much feedback as I can.

As for the production, yeah, the updates have been a series of "we feel it's better to do it right, but late, than wrong and 'on time', and we believe you agree".

I'm in exactly the same situation. Just completed the shipping survey. There will be much for me to learn :D

I agree with their philosophy of taking the time to do it right the first time. It's something I wish the higher-ups at my employer understood better....

There hav been a couple of people on their forum who are ticked that they've missed their ship deadline by a couple of months. Some have even asked for refunds because of that. However, one thing I learned a long time ago is that when you are innovating and creating an entirely new product, nothing goes according to plan and schedule. But I have supported a fair number of kickstarters, and pretty much none of them have shipped on the promised date. There are ALWAYS hidden snags and delays. But these guys seem committed to producing a quality product and to get it right. I don't mind giving them a few extra months.

In actuality, they aren't doing too bad. I believe my unit was supposed to ship sometime in January, and according to the shipper's survey, it should get here in March. As kickstarters go, two to three months behind schedule is actually really good! And, they've been very communicative and given updates quite often, which is also ahead of the curve. I've supported some projects that were six months to a year behind with only a couple updates in that entire time - I still got the product eventually (so far I haven't been stiffed on a Kickstarter yet). Definitely looking forward to getting mine - hopefully next month!

There hav been a couple of people on their forum who are ticked that they've missed their ship deadline by a couple of months. Some have even asked for refunds because of that. However, one thing I learned a long time ago is that when you are innovating and creating an entirely new product, nothing goes according to plan and schedule. But I have supported a fair number of kickstarters, and pretty much none of them have shipped on the promised date. There are ALWAYS hidden snags and delays. But these guys seem committed to producing a quality product and to get it right. I don't mind giving them a few extra months.

In actuality, they aren't doing too bad. I believe my unit was supposed to ship sometime in January, and according to the shipper's survey, it should get here in March. As kickstarters go, two to three months behind schedule is actually really good! And, they've been very communicative and given updates quite often, which is also ahead of the curve. I've supported some projects that were six months to a year behind with only a couple updates in that entire time - I still got the product eventually (so far I haven't been stiffed on a Kickstarter yet). Definitely looking forward to getting mine - hopefully next month!
Same experience here on the shipping delays so common with the complex Kickstarter campaign products. These people really seem to be doing it right according to the many updates they've released.

I am interested to see the result you get from this printer. I have been 3D printing for over 2 years now, I have owned 2 different machines and soon a third and I am having a hard time seeing you get good prints out of a $200 machine. But I am excited to see your results.

I am interested to see the result you get from this printer. I have been 3D printing for over 2 years now, I have owned 2 different machines and soon a third and I am having a hard time seeing you get good prints out of a $200 machine. But I am excited to see your results.
Some of the things that make a low price possible is the precision molded frame that eliminates rails and rail alignment issues while the very low mass extruder and associated components result in low inertia and lower torque requirements for stepper motors. The M3D was also based on exploiting the molded frame and low mass print components potential, but this unit goes a step further while also providing an enclosed print area. From their updates, it sounds like everything they'd planned is finally working out, so now I anxiously await owner reviews.

Some of the things that make a low price possible is the precision molded frame that eliminates rails and rail alignment issues while the very low mass extruder and associated components result in low inertia and lower torque requirements for stepper motors. The M3D was also based on exploiting the molded frame and low mass print components potential, but this unit goes a step further while also providing an enclosed print area. From their updates, it sounds like everything they'd planned is finally working out, so now I anxiously await owner reviews.

I am not saying it isn't impossible, I am excited to see how to turns out.

*sigh*

The last update I got made it sound like I'd be seeing my machine - well - by now. I was never in a hurry and since I was intending to use it to learn about 3D printing pretty much from scratch, even with the problems noted in the linked-to story above I might still be able to do some of that if it does ever materialize. I guess time will tell.

As I said - *sigh*

*sigh*

The last update I got made it sound like I'd be seeing my machine - well - by now. I was never in a hurry and since I was intending to use it to learn about 3D printing pretty much from scratch, even with the problems noted in the linked-to story above I might still be able to do some of that if it does ever materialize. I guess time will tell.

As I said - *sigh*
Exactly why I signed up, and how I was feeling ... I don't hang out in their message boards, so I hadn't noticed the snark and attitudes (in both directions) ... And, yeah, the last update sounded like things were finally moving along.

Oh, well, live and learn.

A shame for many reasons. From the 3dprint.com article it sounds like their biggest problem is overconfidence in their ability to do, not only the design/software/test engineering, but the business management, supply chain management, manufacturing engineering, etc. all without help. Overconfidence bordering or hubris.

But also a shame that if they'd sought the help they should have they might have learned the $179 price was too low; if it had been priced at $279 I'd have still called it a bargain and been happy to buy one.

I paid exactly $280.49 for my Monoprice Maker Select 3D Printer v2 (with a coupon) and have been very happy with it. After a bit of tweaking and following some of the recommendations from the Google Group, I am very satisfied with the quality of my prints. So, it is possible to get a 3d printer at that price point that is worth owning.

Well, I just got update #27. I'm not sure what to make of it all - but the story may not be over yet....and I may someday get my unit. But I don't think I need to be making any plans for use. :(

Back