This place is jumpin'

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's a surprise.

I thought there were maybe a couple 100 or so. I had no idea there were over 4K folks looking. I wonder if that number represents actual people or if it includes bots?

Greg

Well that's a surprise.

I thought there were maybe a couple 100 or so. I had no idea there were over 4K folks looking. I wonder if that number represents actual people or if it includes bots?

Greg

I wonder that too. Maybe something our Admin could report on without alot of effort ?

100 or so members online seems realistic. 4500 lurkers? I"m not buying into that, or at least not them being living entities. Agreed, the site has been slow today, however.

Screwy. 5000 would be over half of all the serious rocketeers in the USA (NAR membership 6000, Tripoli quite a bit less). Something is whacked here.

This has the fingerprints of the Thirsty Barbarian written all over it. :y:

It's fairly easy (esp. if you have a copy of the forum software) to write bots that visit a web page and click on ads. Just a thought...

I would think that this is what is happening, but what would this accomplish? disruption between the ad company and the forum?

I would think that this is what is happening, but what would this accomplish? disruption between the ad company and the forum?

Yes, to what end ? Maybe a homework/training assignment at Dr. Evil's Hackers Academy ?!? BTW, back to a couple hundred this morning.

It was an attack of Chinee bots, just like the recent thread of the massive attacks on St. Louis financial centers. The why part is what bothers me.....

edit: I just had a thought. Maybe ANY forum that had that attack link got targeted...just saying....

Last edited:

The web site is paid per ad clicked on. The other alternative is that these are web-scraping bots that look at each message and grab all the email addresses and phone numbers people post in their signatures and elsewhere.

Back