Hybrid Motor Resources?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone point me to a site(s) that discusses the theory and/or design of hybrid motors? I have a friend who is a nerd and is intrigued. :tongue:

Can someone point me to a site(s) that discusses the theory and/or design of hybrid motors? I have a friend who is a nerd and is intrigued. :tongue:

You can try here, but the group has been fairly dormant in the last few years... except for me stirring the post from time to time:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hybridrocketmotors/info

Here is another from Jeff Jacobs website (also fairly dormant) :

https://www.hybriddyne.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Like G_T said, textbooks and the internet are a nerds best options these days.

I second Colburns book from aerocon, also comes with a disk containing extra resources

Hi Brian, and others of hybrid propulsion,

I purchased hybrid motors some time ago...because i was sure it would be illegal to use ap or other pyrotechnic propellants by now. At least in the quantities i needed, to launch an overweight by epoxy, my first ever model, of a mid size V2. My paranoia of legislative thwarting of 62.5 grams ran so deep i decided to get an ATFE user of explosives permit...This compulsive action has evolved to a point I never could have dreamed, and in a most favorable way. Soon after i got the permit a judgment of the courts relented about ap rocket motors, and their regulation...I still have paranoia about my rockets motors being regulated! so i maintain the ATFE user of low explosives permit...

I have only recently started playing with my horded hybrid collection. I must admit, i have developed quite affection for the technology! Additionally, the dollar to enjoyment per rocket motor ratio has changed...i spend a bit more time for 1 launch now...And the sound of the motor, the fire out the nozzle, the absolute magic of laughing gas propelling a bird up into the sky!...well it has my attention..."Anyone wanna good price on Aerotech /reloads/motors? I'll keep my Cesroni's hehehe"...Brian...Contrail has some good product and Star Rocketry, Hypertek, Pratt Hobbies...for immediate fixes, and eye candy. And I have my tentacles out for hybrid stuff here on the forum, and will post here any product...haha, that i do not want to buy.

Now the inspiration is my level 2 with Tripoli. So research, and a metal lathe, are the name of the game!

Has anyone...used kerosene in the RATT tribrid...instead of the usual alcohol...

Can anyone turn me a nozzle, or several, for a RATT tribrid?

Damn this stuff is FUN!

daniel

There are plenty of people around who could turn a nozzle or a nozzle insert for you, given exact dimensions. You can also likely remachine an existing nozzle, which is what I did for my ongoing hybrid project.

Kerosene - nope, not allowed under the NFPA 1127 regulations, nor any of the other interesting liquids. We're only allowed to use Methyl and Ethyl alcohols. Relatively non-toxic in a spill, and evaporate quickly so only a short term hazard in a spill. Bad thing is an alcohol fire is nearly invisible so watch out.

So you couldn't do it under Tripoli rules and insurance. It would be Class 3 I think, but someone more knowledgeable of Class 3 should respond.

Gerald

There are plenty of people around who could turn a nozzle or a nozzle insert for you, given exact dimensions. You can also likely remachine an existing nozzle, which is what I did for my ongoing hybrid project.

Kerosene - nope, not allowed under the NFPA 1127 regulations, nor any of the other interesting liquids. We're only allowed to use Methyl and Ethyl alcohols. Relatively non-toxic in a spill, and evaporate quickly so only a short term hazard in a spill. Bad thing is an alcohol fire is nearly invisible so watch out.

So you couldn't do it under Tripoli rules and insurance. It would be Class 3 I think, but someone more knowledgeable of Class 3 should respond.

Gerald

Not saying you are wrong but where in 1127 does it say alcohol is OK and kerosene is not? I just looked it up, I may be blind, but I did not see it.

M

My apologies; it is NFPA 1125, starting with 2007 edition. I failed to find a readable copy in a quick search, just the references to it. I should have saved it when I had it a couple years back. I might have bought a copy, but I can't find it.

Rant: IMHO, if one has to purchase regulations to read them, then they should not have the force of law. End Rant.

Gerald

Your do not have to pay anything the read the NFPA documents. Reading is free, downloading costs money.

Simply got to https://www.nfpa.org , register for free, and read any NFPA code. It's that easy and simple.

Bob

Back