Estes PSII Nike Smoke Plastic fin paint prep

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebedee

Reaction score
I'm starting a build on an Estes Nike Smoke, it will be mostly stock except I'll be using rocketpoxy for most of the gluing and I'll probably beef up the shock cord and attachment.

The thing I have no experience of is painting the plastic fins. I've had non-optimal (but not horrible) results painting plastic nose cones before so thought I would ask here if anyone
has any advice/tips on how to prep the fins, what paint to use etc.

I'm probably going to try to replicate the paint job in this video rather than the standard one: [video=youtube;_UwDvZ0QZs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UwDvZ0QZs0[/video]

I think the key is prep more than anything else. Make sure that you scuff sand the plastic to allow the paint to bond better, wash the surface, and it helps if you use paint that is formulates for plastic. I shot my Nike Smoke with Rustoleum 2X primer (which claims plastic bonding) due to the sheer amount of plastic surface area. The trouble I had in painting mine was it seemed every time I sprayed the red, crap would fall in it, and I'd have to sand it and redo it. One thing I will note - do NOT spray Rustoleum's Filler Primer over the 2X primer. Not compatible, and will craze...

Testor's paint is designed specifically for plastic models, and I have always had success with it. But it is very expensive.

This is what I've done for my Estes Nike Smoke:

1) Wash plastic with soapy (dishwashing liquid added) water to remove any production oil on the plastic (paint doesn't stick well to oil. :wink:).
2) lightly sand to remove sheen from the surface for better paint adhesion (gives paint more "bite" and less "flake")
3) Prime - Can't recall if I used Rustoleum Primer or Filler Primer...both should be fine, but Filler isn't needed due to the smooth plastic, but I think I used it due to just wanting to prime the entire rocket with one primer paint. If you do use the Filler Primer, you'll need to sand. Also note that the Rustoelum 2X paints go fine other either...I have many, many rockets using the Filler Primer and then 2X over it...standard for me and have gotten "compliment-inducing" results.
4) Sand/fill as needed.
5) Another primer coat (same primer!) if needed.
6) Paint top coat.
7) Clear coat.

Good luck and post pics! :grin:

BTW - I was just thinking today about repainting the same fins with fluorescent red and yellow paints to give it "pop". :)

Also note that the Rustoelum 2X paints go fine other either...I have many, many rockets using the Filler Primer and then 2X over it...standard for me and have gotten "compliment-inducing" results.

I also use their filler primer and then 2X over it on almost everything. But its the other order you've got to watch for - spraying the filler primer over top of the 2X primer. That's what got me into trouble. I tried that on one of my V-2 kits, due to the nose & tail cones. That resulted in a lot of extra sanding and refinishing...

600 grit sandpaper works well for surface prep for that type of plastic, all you need is a 'matte' finish.
Rex

I also use their filler primer and then 2X over it on almost everything. But its the other order you've got to watch for - spraying the filler primer over top of the 2X primer. That's what got me into trouble. I tried that on one of my V-2 kits, due to the nose & tail cones. That resulted in a lot of extra sanding and refinishing...

Yup, agreed. You get into trouble when you start mixing types of paints within a category...sometimes even the same paint but different cans/lots! I also found that Krylon and Rustoleum for the most part don't mix. I often put a "R" or a "K" with marker on the bottom of my rockets to let me know what paint to use if I need to make a repair and touch up.

Also primer back over the 2X paint can be a disaster...I tried that on a rocket and the primer crackled like elephant skin...made the rocket pretty much worthless until I sanded everything back down.

The important coat is the primer. Filler primer (cheap at Walmart) will do fine if you wash and then sand with 400-600 grit. Primer sticks to the fins and most spray paints will stick to the primer.

Here are the results.

Sanded with 220 grit.
Rustoleum 2x flat white primer.
Sand with 220.
Rustoleum Camoflage Deep forest Green.
Rustoleum Specialty Metallic Copper.

NikeSmoke.jpg

Thanks Ken - I was really happy with the way the copper came out and it was easy to apply.

I was a little overzealous with the green and had to sand down a few dribbles and respray but it came out nice in the end too.

Back