Good for this father

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you support the father?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hopefully the police also check into wether or not the drone operators were telling the truth, however the operators actions are very suspicious. I am personally in agreement with the fathers actions. Drones hsve thier uses but paparazzi style stuff is should be illegal.

'drones' with gps ought to have a 'black box' to record navigation info so authorities can determine where it was and what heading it was on when shot down(abnormal flight termination). a charge of public endangerment is not out of bounds here, people have been hurt by falling projectiles. onboard video footage ought to show what the 'drone' was doing at the time, if the operators erased it they should be considered guilty of something.
Rex

Don't know if snooping warrants firing a gun off where it is illegal, as no life threatening situation seemed to exist, but the more these snooping things happen, combined with the video of the drone flying around shooting a gun, the more likely it will be illegal to fly or own one. At the very least, liscensing of the things will be required.

by the same token people have been injured by errant quadcopters. I have seen footage of a prototype first response drone, neat idea it carried a heart defibulator.
Rex

I love flying quads (drones), but, I fully support what this father did, if the story is accurate. I have read, that the teen daughter waved the drone off, and, the pilot complied, which tells me, he wasn't taking pics of a neighboring house. If this is true, when the drone returned a second time, yes, I feel the father had every right to to remove the peeping threat, as long as he didn't endanger anyone else. Me personally, I would have blasted it down with a paintball marker, and kept it till the authorities arrived.

All that being said, I think he will be charged with criminal mischief (discharging the firearm in city limits), wanton endangerment charges dropped, and, not held liable for the drone.

David

Let's not forget that a man, in recent months, took a bullet in the head from someone shooting it in the air for no reason. It sounded like an episode from the earlier CSI TV show. Except this guy still lives, but with some brain damage and it can't be removed, IIRC. Personally, I don't blame the father, but he could have hurt some innocent person in another part of town.

The problem with quads, is like anything else that pose some kind of danger. Some people WILL be irresponsible with them. Sooner or later, some goofball will be videoing an airbus (like we've seen on the news all too often) and it'll get sucked into the engine causing a major disaster. Then you'll see some changes in quad ownership.

Strangely enough, that stray bullet incident, was in my neck of the woods. SEE VIDEO

Last edited:
I'm in the "no I don't support the father" camp, but I'm near the mid-point of the issue and additional information about the circumstances could shift my opinion.

OK, some perv drones over his daughter. He has a right to defend the privacy of his property. But I don't think discharging a deadly weapon is necessarily justified in a situation where there's no physical threat to him or his family. I think more measured responses would have been appropriate. For example: Walk into the drone's view holding the shotgun and start counting fingers down. Something like that. If it was illegal to discharge his firearm in the manner he did, it's right that he was charged with the crime. People with guns shouldn't use them as an answer to non-physical threat, and the cops did what they should in enforcing the law.

Now, if I were a judge in charge of the justice system there, I would take into account that the guy was open-carry licensed, and used very good judgment to avoid violence in the aftermath, warning off the drone-owners not to cross onto his property. I would let the guy off with a warning or very watered down citation. This assumes any neighboring dwellings are far enough away that the shot couldn't have hurt anyone. Taking these circumstances into account is the judge's job, not the cops' job.

As for the drone owners, it's unclear to me what the law says the penalty is for them. They flew their drone trespassing wantonly onto someone else's property so there's no recourse for them in getting damages against the landowner. Did they commit a crime beyond the trespass, and does the definition of trespass there even include the drone scenario? Uncertain.

If the video contains inappropriate images of a minor they could easily be charged with child p@rnography.

Marc

"Open Carry" is not a license, its a right some states have for their citizens, Concealed Carry is a permit-able type of weapon carry. The father did not have to be licensed to carry the sidearms as long as everyone knows and can see he is wearing one.

The more I read about this incident the more it looks to me to be a story about when two fools collide.

https://www.wdrb.com/story/29675427/drone-owner-responds-to-claims-of-privacy-invasion

At about 1:34, the drone operator stammers and gives a "Porky Pig" explanation about what he was doing. Number 8 bird shot is sometimes called "dove loads" and I think the drone must have been fairly close to the shooter to bust the prop. The falling shot would hardly be lethal to anyone. (a bullet is a different story). Be glad the homeowner didn't launch a rocket at the drone.

Stupid actions by both actors.

My ignorance of guns is showing through. I assumed shotgun meant buckshot. I am also assuming that if it was shot directly into the air the buckshot would have much less mass and energy than a single bullet on decent. Still there is no argument that discharging in city limits is irresponsible, however I am just glad I don't own a gun and have perv neighbours with drones in my hood, otherwise I would be the one in the news.

Unfortunately it is incidents like this that will bring greater restrictions to the drone hobby, which is too bad for the majority.

'drones' with gps ought to have a 'black box' to record navigation info so authorities can determine where it was and what heading it was on when shot down(abnormal flight termination). a charge of public endangerment is not out of bounds here, people have been hurt by falling projectiles. onboard video footage ought to show what the 'drone' was doing at the time, if the operators erased it they should be considered guilty of something.
Rex
He would be guilty of perjury.

Let's not forget that a man, in recent months, took a bullet in the head from someone shooting it in the air for no reason.
The shot from the gun landed in the shooters yard. #8 shot you would be lucky
to get 100-150 feet range on it. I have had it fall on me hunting before. 1/4"
or bigger hail is worse.

"Open Carry" is not a license, its a right some states have for their citizens, Concealed Carry is a permit-able type of weapon carry. The father did not have to be licensed to carry the sidearms as long as everyone knows and can see he is wearing one.
Most states permit open carry on your own property, as long as you can legally
own a gun.

At about 1:34, the drone operator stammers and gives a "Porky Pig" explanation about what he was doing. Number 8 bird shot is sometimes called "dove loads" and I think the drone must have been fairly close to the shooter to bust the prop. The falling shot would hardly be lethal to anyone. (a bullet is a different story). Be glad the homeowner didn't launch a rocket at the drone.

A lot closer than the claimed 272' of altitude by the drone pilot

I will add this...

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/91-57.pdf

3a. Select an operating site that is of sufficient distance from populated
areas.

Apparently I didn't acknowledge the reference "shotgun". Generally, you wouldn't need to worry about those unless it was pointed at you. My bad on the wrong load.

#8 shot for those interested is generally .089" diameter or slightly less than 3/32nds", its not very large and or heavy. That shot falling from the sky is not likely to hurt anyone or anything, on the way up is another matter, but most of its energy is gone by about 150', hitting the drone at 200' or so was made easier by the sheer number of pellets in the load about 400 pellets per oz (or .07g per pellet).

I'm in the "no I don't support the father" camp, but I'm near the mid-point of the issue and additional information about the circumstances could shift my opinion.

OK, some perv drones over his daughter. He has a right to defend the privacy of his property. But I don't think discharging a deadly weapon is necessarily justified in a situation where there's no physical threat to him or his family. I think more measured responses would have been appropriate. For example: Walk into the drone's view holding the shotgun and start counting fingers down. Something like that. If it was illegal to discharge his firearm in the manner he did, it's right that he was charged with the crime. People with guns shouldn't use them as an answer to non-physical threat, and the cops did what they should in enforcing the law.

Now, if I were a judge in charge of the justice system there, I would take into account that the guy was open-carry licensed, and used very good judgment to avoid violence in the aftermath, warning off the drone-owners not to cross onto his property. I would let the guy off with a warning or very watered down citation. This assumes any neighboring dwellings are far enough away that the shot couldn't have hurt anyone. Taking these circumstances into account is the judge's job, not the cops' job.

As for the drone owners, it's unclear to me what the law says the penalty is for them. They flew their drone trespassing wantonly onto someone else's property so there's no recourse for them in getting damages against the landowner. Did they commit a crime beyond the trespass, and does the definition of trespass there even include the drone scenario? Uncertain.

If the video contains inappropriate images of a minor they could easily be charged with child p@rnography.

Marc

I agree with you 100%! Thanks, you saved me a lot of typing.

I could see if this were the fifteenth time the thing hovered over his house and he said enough's enough. But once, when he could have told his daughter, "Go inside, pull the shades, I'm going to call the police."

I agree with you 100%! Thanks, you saved me a lot of typing.

I could see if this were the fifteenth time the thing hovered over his house and he said enough's enough. But once, when he could have told his daughter, "Go inside, pull the shades, I'm going to call the police."
It was more than once and multiple homesin the area.

Removed as duplicate of above replies.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Ndqy9nk4euo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndqy9nk4euo[/video]Reminds me of the line from "Bubba Shot the Jukebox"

Well, the sheriff arrived with his bathrobe on
The confrontation was a tense one
Shook his head said, "Bubba Boy,"
"You was always a dense one."
Reckless discharge of a gun
That's what the officers are claiming
Bubba hollered, "Reckless! Hell!"
"I hit just where I was aiming."

Hmm. Over the man's property. Waved him off once. Came back. Used a shotgun, aimed upward (for shotgun if you're gonna fire in the city, probably safest direction), apparently the device was pretty low as it was in range of the gun.

Not sure if it was the BEST choice, but not COMPLETELY unreasonable.

I will be very disappointed if he is held liable for damage the copter. Hope he gets at most a slap on the wrist.

Back