Dr rockets cases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for a stupid noob question, but what's the deal with the Dr Rockets cases? Why do people want them so much? What are they compatible with?

They are Aerotech compatible cases. They are no longer made. Many people want a matched set of cases. If they have a large selection of them already, they want to complete the set.

I believe they are OOP. (Not sure.) They are compatible with Aerotech reloads.

Dr. Rocket bailed out and stuck with internal medicine. Tom Rouse took over under Rousetech and now he went on to other things. Some people are getting a "collectability" bug with these old cases with low serial number
fetishes thrown in to boot. Some folks posted ebay links of low serial numbered cases where the sellers were asking "stupid high" prices.

Kurt

Dr. Rockets made them under license from Aerotech. When that arrangement ended, Monster made cases. When that ended, Aerotech is now making them. They are all functionally the same.

Dr. Rockets made them under license from Aerotech. When that arrangement ended, Monster made cases. When that ended, Aerotech is now making them. They are all functionally the same.

The Dr Rockets cases were a nice red (and a small batch of limited edition colors each year for LDRS or other special occasions). Rouse Tech were a pretty blue (and early on, green and hobby line gold).
As opposed to the basic black of AeroTech...

Adrian

One thing people haven't mentioned, Dr Rockets cases are anodized a lovely shade of red.

One thing to remember on rouse tech cases.... People love claiming "low serial number" But that's the serial number of that day's run (which is also stamped on the case) Not the total production number.

One thing to remember on rouse tech cases.... People love claiming "low serial number" But that's the serial number of that day's run (which is also stamped on the case) Not the total production number.

Not not that I really care either way about this entire discussion......but you are saying that my "serial number 3582" was the 3582nd case made in a day.....I don't know about your theory there. I'm declaring shenanigans on that one.

Not not that I really care either way about this entire discussion......but you are saying that my "serial number 3582" was the 3582nd case made in a day.....I don't know about your theory there. I'm declaring shenanigans on that one.

Jason, I agree with you.

Guys I was told Tom started the serial numbers over each year. Who knows for sure other than Tom.

Perhaps this is more likely.

But I know I have
29/120 case number 040 made on 10/12
29/180 #3 on 11/11
54/1706 66 on 5/13
38/1320 25 on 7/13
29 40-120 66 and 127 on 3/13
10 and 42 on 5/12
54/427 99 on 9/9

And it seems unlikely these are all early production cases. (the anno type pretty much rules that out on most) These are just the rousetechs. Not talking Dr. Rocket here.

These aren't collectible Winchesters, other than colors the first days run is identical to the last days. I can see trying to collect all of the colors. But a low serial really has no advantage in rocket motors. IMO of course.

When I bought my 54mm set, I bought the Dr. Rockets because I really like the red color, combined with black closures. I also bought the 29mm set from them. I got out of HPR, but recall some friends with the multicolor (easter-egg look) anodizing. I think these were called the "Millenium" set?

When I bought my 18mm reload casing, I got it from RouseTech. It is a nice gold color, with black closures.

Obviously for many its just a personal thing.

These aren't collectible Winchesters, other than colors the first days run is identical to the last days. I can see trying to collect all of the colors. But a low serial really has no advantage in rocket motors. IMO of course.

You're right. Collectors 'collect' whatever appeals to them, not necessarily because something is intrinsically better or more valuable.

I collect AP grains....old, new, black, white, green....all-uv-em!!

Yes, the red cases are nice, but I think the real appeal is the name, "Dr. Rocket". How cool is that?

What is even wrong with my reading comprehension lately. Thanks, sorry.

Meh, we posted at exactly at the same time...
Glad to have you for back-up on the color thing. I'm crying right now since I recently destroyed my 54/2560 Dr Rocket case. I've had it since 1998. Oh well.

Adrian

Meh, we posted at exactly at the same time...
Glad to have you for back-up on the color thing. I'm crying right now since I recently destroyed my 54/2560 Dr Rocket case. I've had it since 1998. Oh well.

Adrian

Hmmmm,

I've heard it said that snap ring cases are good for 15 to 20 firings, then it's on borrowed time. The threaded cases I had a 38 two grain case that stripped the case threads and blew out the aft closure. Rocket went 3 feet up the 8 foot rail and plopped back down. Won closest to pad award. I used it for small Ex grains. Got maybe a dozen firings out of it. Used erosive phenolic nozzles too that open up during the burn sort of like a safety valve. I didn't think I was pushing it.
Had a 29mm 180 case eat out the side about where the aft fiber washer resides by the nozzle. Yes I put all the O rings in. Figure something went wrong with the motor grain there.

Bottom line is you fly a case long enough, it will eventually give way. Sure, some "could" last longer than others but do you really feel "that lucky"? Kurt

Adrian, I have a red Dr case, very good condition, replace it with a Rouse or AT and it's yours.

I have a red Dr. Rockets 29/180 case. I'd trade it for an AT 29/180 case. I'd be fine helping someone complete their set with it.

I have a 54/1706 Dr. rockets case #1157 mfg 8/2000
still has price tag $56 :)

john

Thanks for all the posts! I'm not looking for one- but curious- when you say "Aerotech compatible" does this just mean that the reloads fit into it, or that the closures are also interchangeable?

Thanks for all the posts! I'm not looking for one- but curious- when you say "Aerotech compatible" does this just mean that the reloads fit into it, or that the closures are also interchangeable?

Yes to all. You can take a Dr. case and use a Rouse Tech fwd closure and an AT aft closure and fill it with an AT reload.

Back