What's old will be new again! Meet "SPIKE"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayouRat

Reaction score
I'm re-purposing this booster that I flew into the ground at AirFest back in 2012. I decided to call it "SPIKE" since I drove it into the ground like a railroad spike! It was buried a good 3 feet!:cool:

IMG_7103.jpg

SPIKE.jpg

SPIKE1.jpg

Heh. Once did similar with an RC plane. Wing was fine, body was kindling back to near the main landing gear mount. It became a tail-dagger. New firewall, wing saddle and various adjustments inside. It was a bit squirrely.
I suspect Spike will have sufficient longitudinal rigidity.

I like saving worthy projects... as long as the rocket godz left you something to work with. What color(s) are considering?

I think I'm just going back with the same white Imron. I'm going to get a big vinyl decal of a rail road spike.

Got Spike back from the paint shop yesterday. I still have a good bit of work to do. I need to add 2lbs of nose weight to get the CG right. I have some Acme conformal rail guides and then ebay, and recovery.

44079A21-4555-4CA3-A751-D2F43559CB7D.jpg

Ooohh... Shiny! Airfest is fast approaching, so here's to hoping for an excellent launch and safe recovery of everything you take with you, including Spike!

Spike didn't make it for AirFest. But I should have it ready for TRA-LA's October launch. I'm rethinking the stubby design and may extend it to include a traditional altimeter bay since I had problems with my nose cone design on my BOOMSTICK project.

Back