SARG - Sacramento Area Rocketry Group - found new field and announces launch schedule

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbdm

Rocketry Tourist
Reaction score
Message from the club today that club has located a field east of Galt, CA. Great news after two years of searching. :grin:

First launch rescheduled to December 12th due dry field conditions.

Club is planning a meeting on Saturday November 14, 2015, location and time to be announced.

Watch club website for updates - https://www.sargrocket.org

Last edited:
Awesome! Looks like I have another club to join, and it's close too.

Prez Tom, is planning a meeting soon to organize.

The clubs still has its trailer, lots of launch equipment, and strong core group should be fun.

Several years ago in the Sacramento area you could launch HP at Lunar 1st weekend of month, 2nd weekend at SARG, and 3rd at TCC.

YAAAAWWWWN ... Hey that woke me up! GREAT NEWS!!! Looking forward to getting back into building and flying.

Yes, the size of the field.

Been waiting for it to be "official". As I understand it, the field is ~ 2500' x 5000' and is an active "feed growing" location. 5000' dual deploy and 2500' single. But hey, I've got a ton of G reloads and 6 PS-II kits completed that all need a maiden voyage. I can't wait!

Looking at the SARG site, are the posted rules new ones or ones that were used at the old site? Specifically, you have to be a member of NAR only because it doesn't mention TRA. Also, we will be issued name tags that we must keep on? Meaning our membership card isn't good enough.

Please tell me it isn't so rinky dink as to require name tags (Hi, my name is Hank).

Looking at the SARG site, are the posted rules new ones or ones that were used at the old site? Specifically, you have to be a member of NAR only because it doesn't mention TRA. Also, we will be issued name tags that we must keep on? Meaning our membership card isn't good enough.

Looks like the old rules.

Please tell me it isn't so rinky dink as to require name tags (Hi, my name is Hank).

In the way past they did have Hello tags for newcomers...but the regulars used their NAR/TRA cards in holders... lots of youths, families come to launches.

This is very good news

Thought I saw on the website that somebody needs to contacted before the day of the launch, if They are going to launch H or I motors

Would this still be in effect?

Last edited:

As I understand it, the field is ~ 2500' x 5000' and is an active "feed growing" location. 5000' dual deploy and 2500' single.

From what I understand one of the limitations will be nothing larger than an I motor as per the Safety Code.

Still should be a nice site for L1 HPR. My Frenzy will only hit 2600' on a full I with dual deploy... Might also be a nice site for WM Jr type kits, 3-5K on I's with dual deploy.

I am also a bit confused about the "contact before flying HPR" notification. Any more information on that?

Still should be a nice site for L1 HPR. My Frenzy will only hit 2600' on a full I with dual deploy... Might also be a nice site for WM Jr type kits, 3-5K on I's with dual deploy.

I am also a bit confused about the "contact before flying HPR" notification. Any more information on that?

Yeah, I'm really hoping to L1 on an "H". Should be just ~2200 ft.

Contacting the club before the launch to advise you will be launching a high power flight is a courtesy and gives them a chance to see what you're wanting to launch before it becomes an issue on the field.

SARG has operated this way for the years so it's not a new thing. With this being the club's initial launch on this field, I can see the value of pre-screening the HPR flights.

Contacting the club before the launch to advise you will be launching a high power flight is a courtesy and gives them a chance to see what you're wanting to launch before it becomes an issue on the field.

SARG has operated this way for the years so it's not a new thing. With this being the club's initial launch on this field, I can see the value of pre-screening the HPR flights.

Sounds good. I'll definitely contact the club before flying then.

Any news on the location? I just checked out the SARG site and did not see any address or directions.

The club officers planned to visit the field this past weekend to speak with the farmer who leases the land. The goal was to determine the actual location for setting up the range head. Haven't heard any more since.

I have not yet seen the field but there's a launch tentatively scheduled for the second Saturday of December assuming field conditions permit. This will probably be an LPR/MPR/small HPR launch as the field measures about 1/2 mile in the shortest dimension and 1 mile lengthwise/wind drift-wise. Probably will be 2500' or less ceiling limit given the field size and the 1500' distance requirement from the nearest occupied dwelling.

Snow Ranch launches will still be the ones to attend for big HPR flights.

This is great to hear, Kit. I have Leah that weekend, she'd be glad to see the SARG crowd again!

Ari.

When will directions to the field be provided? The google map on the SARG site doesn't give the exit name.

Last edited:
When will directions to the field be provided? The google map on the SARG site doesn't give the exit name.
Central Galt. Field location was given at the most recent SARG club meeting. We will be giving the field a small test run on an upcoming weekend to verify the field will be usable in a safe manner. The results of the trial run will determine whether this field will meet our requirements as well as the property owner's. At best this field appears to be an LPR/MPR/small HPR field with a 2k-2.5K ceiling to stay within the Pirates'...er...NFPA rocketry code.

Last edited:
Those not at the meeting will not have those directions, but I will just wait til the site is tested . . . with fingers crossed.

Back