Level 1 certification/NARAM57/Aerotech Mirage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyed

Reaction score
I finally did it. Got that L1 at NARAM57 in Tucson Tues. am. The first try my homemade chute separated right off the the shock cord The nylon lines melted at the attachment point(weird)as no other evidence of hot gases were on the chute or shock cords. From 1700ft (eject a bit early)the Mirage came in flat without the chute. No damage at all!!!. Retrieved the chute and decided to install my G-FORCE chute. Went and bought another H135-DMS. Drilled it to a 10sec. delay and let er rip. The H135dms is a great motor for that MIRAGE. I really thought I would have broken fins or damaged airframe on the first flt.But nothing.Cool. So a 2sec. burn -10sec delay-apogee just over the top. Nice slow recovery, returned to cert team for inspection/motor in/ no damage/ perfect. Thanks to Terry and Steve for their assistance.:cool:
This is all I have now for a pic/me walking up to RSO. As time permits I will get more sent to me and will post pic and vid

IMG_20150728_085121591_2.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the "got my L1 at NARAM57 club"! Are we the only members?

Nope, I did two other L1 certs before crazyed's and there were at least two L2 certs as well! Congrats and hope to see you at some of our regular launches and do not forget about the October night launch which is always a lot of fun.

Last edited:
My daughter will love this, as she wants a Mirage, and she wants to certify by Junior Level 1. Beautiful paint job, and congrats on your certification...thank you for sharing.

My daughter will love this, as she wants a Mirage, and she wants to certify by Junior Level 1. Beautiful paint job, and congrats on your certification...thank you for sharing.

My advise is plenty of dog barf(thanx terry) 25 ft scock cord. Single large chute. (I used the 1from my crashed GFORCE)2 extra coupler tubes in lower middle airframe for extra strength.(also good for anchoring recommended rail buttons(3) and epoxy built. And a good retainer. I left the stock baffle and mesh( my preference) although its limited now to the 29-240 case or smaller, its a great straight flyer. And it coming in without a chute from 1700ft is a good testament to its parts.

Last edited:
I appreciate the build ideas; if my daughter still plans Junior Level 1, then we will incorporate what we can... the retainer I already have in hand.

Back