How do you tell a Saturn 1B (SA-202) from a Saturn V?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The additional 3rd stage on the Saturn V is a noticable difference. Was this a trick question Bat-mite ?

No, no. I'm not really into building scale, so I could never tell the difference between the two.

I also noticed from the pics that the V has "United States" on the upper stage and "USA" on the lower stage, but on the 1B they are reversed.

No, no. I'm not really into building scale, so I could never tell the difference between the two.

I also noticed from the pics that the V has "United States" on the upper stage and "USA" on the lower stage, but on the 1B they are reversed.

Oh understood, didn't mean to call you out :blush:. Some of us nerds keep the Saturn in a special place in our hearts.

I too have had problems distinguishing between the two. Thanks gor asking the question Bat-mite. And thanks to all who answered.

They look a lot different to me, but I remember watching the moon landings on TV, so the Saturn V is special to me too.

They look a lot different to me, but I remember watching the moon landings on TV, so the Saturn V is special to me too.

They look a lot different to me as well (especially when there's a size reference involved), but I was -6 when the landings first took place. As the "only space car that's taken anyone to another world", the Up Goer Five is special to me too. :cool:

Here's a good side by side comparison that makes the differences clear :

rocket-sizes-space-race.jpg

that is a great picture! As much as I love the Saturn 1b, its my favorite rocket, the Saturn V was just a completely different animal. Each F-1 engine on the Saturn V produced about the same amount of thrust as all 8 engines did on the 1b....to this day, still had the most payload to earth orbit of any rocket that has ever flown...its not even close....260,000 lbs. Its just an incredible machine.

Here's a good side by side comparison that makes the differences clear :

rocket-sizes-space-race.jpg

I really dont see how they can be confused. They are so far apart its very,very noticeable.

This quote is one of the reasons people are leaving this forum. The OP wanted some information, not a smarmy remark about his lack of knowledge.

Not everyone has the obvious eye for art or mechanical drawings. We were all ignorant until we became informed. I mean no disrespect because ignorant means merely "the lack of knowledge ". Some comments are best kept to one's self.

I really dont see how they can be confused. They are so far apart its very,very noticeable.
that was my first thought...then wondered if the OP was thinking about a 1/70 Saturn 1B sitting next to a 1/100 Saturn V model, there is a size similarity there...when they are to the same scale it's pretty obvious.

that was my first thought...then wondered if the OP was thinking about a 1/70 Saturn 1B sitting next to a 1/100 Saturn V model, there is a size similarity there...when they are to the same scale it's pretty obvious.

It was seeing a model sitting on a table, or seeing a picture on Google, and knowing it was a Saturn, but not how to tell which one. Obviously, they are very different when side by side. But for me it's a little like telling a husky from a malamute. Scale isn't my thing.

But this is a really old thread.... :facepalm:

Everybody sees the world in their own way. It seems odd to a lot of us that a fellow rocketeer would have a hard time differentiating a Saturn V from a Saturn 1B, but we all have our blind spots. Personally, I can’t tell the difference between car models. Someone could tell me, “My car is the white Camry in the first row of the parking lot. Just go stand by it and I’ll be out a few minutes to take us to lunch.” I would have to walk over and check every white car to find a Camry.

I kinda do the same thing to my wife when we go out for a walk and see flowers. I just call everything tulips.

Me: “Oh look honey, Bathsheba is growing some lovely tulips.”
Her: “Groan. Those are roses!”

Me: “Oh look honey, Esther has some lovely tulips.”
Her: “Groan. Those are philodendrons!”

Me: “Oh look honey, Jezebel has a yard full of lovely tulips.”
Her: “Oh for crying out loud; those are dandelions!”

To the untrained eye they can be confused if the images aren't next to one another or on the late 1B (Milk Stool) pad. The upper S-4B stage is basically the same. I know the difference as I've been a fanatic of the 1B (and SA-5) for years but not everyone is.

Back