Enough is Enough

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the Owner of this forum, and it's members...
I belonged a little over 3 years ago, then I lost my home.
Now that we have an apartment I came back about a year ago.
Since then, the theme of this forum has drastically changed!!!
It seams like to spite the Owner, everyone is finding fault, or nit picking, or alter interrupting posts just to cause problems to prove to the Owner they can do it and get away with it.
I don't see this Forum going away, it has too much valuable information contained within it. But I understand why, and don't agree with all the non-sense adds.
The adds should be only related to Rockets. Because, this is a Rocket Forums. If the Owner can't run this site profitable on those adds, then it's up to us to make it not worth while to be here.
But, the educational values of this forum as dropped off since I was last here.
I know several people, including business owners, that have left. This is not good for the Model Rocket Industries as a whole.
This USE TO BE, the #1 place to go for info. Sadly, it is no longer that.
I am as much as fault as anyone else on this forum.
Once it starts, it's a ragging river of negitivity.
I have received PM's from the Moderators warning me.
We all have our grunts and groans about life, but is this the place to do it?
I've kinda just stayed back and did more reading lately than posting, and my posts since I come back have been about 10% help, and 90% personal opinion.
Is this what we really want as a Rocket Society?
Less pictures have been posted, less video's as well as in the past.
As members, how can we organize to het back to the way it was?
Is it because of the New Owner?
Is it our view on life's happenings?
Is it the things that has happened to us in our personal lives?
Are we just needing to get things off our chest?
I for one, think it would be worth while for the owner to spend at least a few hours a week answering some questions if he thinks his investment will continue to pay off.
To run a forum like this, I can not see someone not involved with Rocketry making this any better than it is, and it will get worse until it shuts down possibly.
Someone needs to help us ALL, to get this place back to the nice friendly place it use to be, or I will be another one not to frequent this forum.
At least, I will not post. There is some good reading at times, and much in the old threads. Finding it can be hard, but it's there.
I live by one simple rule my whole life. And it's cost me dearly at times, but I have no weights upon my heart.
I've been taken advantage of many many times during my life, but....
I treat people like they want to be treated. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Not do unto others before they can do unto you.
I'm not religeous by any means. I was just grown up right. Worked hard since I was 10 on farms starting at 25 cents an hour making hay.
Because someone gets an education, which has become more expansive than it should due to the things they offer to get you there, doesn't mean they are worth more than someone that has worked hard all their life and do their own tune up on their vehicle.
Life is sickening enough without having the thing, your hobby, become part of that anquish and depression.
If we all join hands and make an effort, WE the people will overcome the evil of the ONE.
BUT, only if we stick together and ignore the ONE.
So unless things change, this will be my last post unless I have something that I can offer to others.
Asking for advice here as become more of a, "Are you Stupid or what?" attitude.
It's just the way I feel. Since I live in a remote part of the USA I rely upon help because there is no clubs or anything within a reasonable distance from me.
I mean, 2 to 4 hour drive. Most of you know I'm waiting for SSDI to start so I don't have funds to do that.
Peace Out my fellow Rocketeers.

Last edited:
The amount of info on this site is not found anywhere else.

I would have to agree that a large number of very valuable and prolific members have left, and the site is not as active or as vibrant as it used to be. But I'd say this is still the number 1 site for rocketry info. I've checked out the others that I've found, and the amount of activity doesn't compare. So, unfortunately,
this is not as good as it used to be, but it's still the best. maybe that will change. Keep checking the other sites.

The ads here are obnoxious and getting worse. And the owner does not give a poop and has reneged on promises related to controlling the kind of ad content served on the site. He promised no political ads, and still they are everywhere. He promised no sleazy dating sites, but still they get served up. It stinks. I made my own outreach to the owner about political ads, and he told me personally via PM, he would filter them, but he didn't. I tried to call attention to them with posts to the Feedback section. They were ignored. I made a real stink, and I got banned for a week.

Since then, I've just decided to use AdBlock Plus on my desktop machine and remove myself from contributing to ad revenue raised by the site. It seems counterproductive to me to serve such obnoxious ads that people will resort to blocking them, but that seems to be the policy. Unfortunately, my tablet does not support an ad blocker, so when I use that, I am still subjected to ads that seem to think I want to "browse" under-age Asian girls. I am sure it is just a matter of the owner setting a filter to fix the situation, but apparently the money made from sleaze is too much to pass up.

Face it. We will never get an explanation for why certain people were banned, and we will never have any influence over the ad content served on the site. For myself, I've decided I like coming here enough to put up with what I think is a bit of abuse of the membership by the owner. Every time this issue bubbles up and people get into protest mode, it just results in another person getting banned, or a few more getting pissed enough to leave. Nothing will be changed, anti it will all blow over again, making the sacrifice meaningless. I think it is basically "what you see is what you get," and if you don't like it, I would not blame you or anyone one bit for leaving.

How many times you gonna post this? I still want to know the new #1 site you mention.

Do not post multiple copies of the same thread.

Sorry, edited it, don't know how that double post happened.
If you like Mr. Bullet, delete the first one.

To address the other issure, it's easy to search a less clutter filled forum for info than this one.
It is extremely frustrating at times get things that have nothing to with what I'm searching for.
Just trying to get members to join hands like they use to, and stop nit picking and post useful stuff.
I don't like of the adds my 12 year old gets while looking up stuff, but I know it's a neccessary evil of this forum.

I'm probably missing the other half or a lot of it is just going over my head and don't know it. I enjoy waking up to this forum with my coffee to read and learn. I take TRF breaks at work every chance I get and I go to bed with TRF with my lap top. I do more reading than posting because most on this forum are light years ahead of me and I feel silly uploading another Baby Bertha or showing another launch with a C6-7. You guys have all been there and done that and I feel like a little kid with training wheels on a bicycle. "Hey guys...look at me go!"

I love this forum and all of my fellow rocketears. If I have offended anybody in any way, I sincerely apologize.

PS: I liked all of your posts on this forum. I thought your jokes were funny and got a kick out of it.

I feel the same as Jerry. I'm new here, but I've learned A LOT, just from reading input from others. I feel that the "veterans" are very helpful and understanding of the newer folks in this hobby. I've asked a few questions and even though people have different ways of doing certain things, I can pick which way works best for me. I like my newfound hobby a lot, and I plan on being a frequent reader of TRF for years to come. Sure, the adds are a bit annoying, but I overlook most it. This forum needs to generate some kind of income, and if that's how they need to do it, so be it. That's my 2¢ worth.

If the internet has taught us anything, it's that nothing lasts forever...Example: Rocketry Online - GONE! Info Central - GONE! Rocketry Planet - GONE! Incidentally, these awesome sights all had one common link, and it was not just rocketry, it was that they were all created by the late Darrel Mobley (GONE!) Enjoy this sight for what it is, because one day it will be GONE... it has already happened once.

I don't see what all the rants are about towards this forum. I don't care about the adds. There is no content of the adds to offend a 12 year old. Yes there has been members here ran off for what ever reason but as sad as it may be they made the decision to move on. I see a lot of forums change in one way or another once a year. As far as rockets go this is the most active forum so I see this as the number one rocket forum for now. Do more building and less talking and you'll feel better. Even if know one is watching or listening.

OK, I seem to be reading a different forum than some of you are. I see one banner ad at the top of each page and one other at the bottom. I don't know what fracction are rocketry related or what fractipn are seezey (the rest just being badly targetted, like the zendesk ad on my screen right now) because I learned long before I started reading this forum to somple ignore such things and now I barely see them. (I deliberately looked at the banner on my screen now to find out what it's for so I could state it above.)

Recently, I bought a new tablet. The first time I came here I found a slew of ads among the posts and lots of those obnoxious green fake links. I quickly realized that I was not logged in. Once I logged in (and set the permanent login cookie like I have on my desktop and old tablet) all that crap went away.

So it seems that those complaining might just have to log in and the forum will transformed for them.

Aso, this. Just one of many, MANY examples of this forum continuing to do what it should do and has always done.

Last edited:
I often think outside the box/against the grain, so let's have a counterpoint...

Websites generally aren't free...it takes time, money and very patient hawk eyed Admins to run. They can stay afloat through membership fees, ads or donations.

If you like any site, pay back the favor/show your appreciation by donating or clicking on some of the ads that seem to fit your interest. Not the worst thing in the world...make sure to be logged in though (as Joe has noted).

I can understand why some others who have been here for a long time would feel otherwise...it's tough giving up something you've gotten used to and had for free, but personally I think I get a lot from this site, so I don't think it's that high of a price to pay.

:cyclops:

My feeling is that it's a form of therapy: rant, rinse, repeat, blow dry... good as new. Some make me laugh, some make me cry, none do me any permanent damage. I hope they have some positive effect for those who issue them.

I own and operate a forum around welding and metalworking. Forums are living beasts
they have a mind of their own, they change and grow, go through good and bad times.

Last edited:
If the internet has taught us anything, it's that nothing lasts forever...Example: Rocketry Online - GONE! Info Central - GONE! Rocketry Planet - GONE! Incidentally, these awesome sights all had one common link, and it was not just rocketry, it was that they were all created by the late Darrel Mobley (GONE!) Enjoy this sight for what it is, because one day it will be GONE... it has already happened once.

Much truth in what you say. ROL was a really good site, but really RP was the best site for rocketry at its peak. I do not think there was, nor is there, anything that was close including TRF.

Darrel, you are missed my friend. RIP.

It's not as good as it was around here. It Happens.

the new owners stink.

Good people left.

I'm a jerk.

It happens. Deal with it. Do what you can to make the place something you enjoy. When you don't enjoy it, leave. This is fun, not work.

Echoing DizWolf's sentiments...including the part where I own up to being a jerk.

If I were from Texas, people would describe me as a prickly Texan. Being from California, most just describe me as a New Yawker.

Ah…the Texas thing. I have an issue with that. Being from Texas myself but living in CT, nobody here knows the TX link unless you actually know me. So when I am trying to come off as a prickly Texan, it's just interpreted as a prick North Easterner and I really don't have any time for that. I need to move back home so my temperament will harmonize with my online persona.

As to the forum thing, I am not sure what is causing it but my feelings are that the proliferation of plastic rockets play a larger role than people are willing to admit. I look back to the "good old days" before I was a member and read all the VERY good build threads where true craftsmen took the time to document their builds. There were some incredibly awesome wood and paper rockets that were built say 5-7 years ago. Due to the materials used, the construction methods on scratch builds varied greatly along with the modified kit stuff. Now it's a steady diet of more or less the same rocket being built over and over, same construction techniques, same glues, same black plastic rocket. Each with all the warmth and compassion of making love to a Coke machine. Not saying they are bad, just the info curve has flattened out greatly because there is little variation. For the most part, the "old school" build threads are gone and when they pop up they get 73 some odd views with a single comment. Now start a "Wildman Something" build thread and you are at 32 post before you even get the kit in the mail. Just an observation. By the way, Cliff Notes are available on request.

Much truth in what you say. ROL was a really good site, but really RP was the best site for rocketry at its peak. I do not think there was, nor is there, anything that was close including TRF.

Darrel, you are missed my friend. RIP.

I miss him too, the hobby lost a great asset with his passing.

Ah…the Texas thing. I have an issue with that. Being from Texas myself but living in CT, nobody here knows the TX link unless you actually know me. So when I am trying to come off as a prickly Texan, it's just interpreted as a prick North Easterner and I really don't have any time for that. I need to move back home so my temperament will harmonize with my online persona.

As to the forum thing, I am not sure what is causing it but my feelings are that the proliferation of plastic rockets play a larger role than people are willing to admit. I look back to the "good old days" before I was a member and read all the VERY good build threads where true craftsmen took the time to document their builds. There were some incredibly awesome wood and paper rockets that were built say 5-7 years ago. Due to the materials used, the construction methods on scratch builds varied greatly along with the modified kit stuff. Now it's a steady diet of more or less the same rocket being built over and over, same construction techniques, same glues, same black plastic rocket. Each with all the warmth and compassion of making love to a Coke machine. Not saying they are bad, just the info curve has flattened out greatly because there is little variation. For the most part, the "old school" build threads are gone and when they pop up they get 73 some odd views with a single comment. Now start a "Wildman Something" build thread and you are at 32 post before you even get the kit in the mail. Just an observation. By the way, Cliff Notes are available on request.

Careful. The forum is going to start serving up ads about how to meet hot, single, horny Coke machines.

Ah…the Texas thing. I have an issue with that. Being from Texas myself but living in CT, nobody here knows the TX link unless you actually know me. So when I am trying to come off as a prickly Texan, it's just interpreted as a prick North Easterner and I really don't have any time for that. I need to move back home so my temperament will harmonize with my online.

I moved from the Bronx/Yonkers to Texas in 1974. Yeh, got all the Damn Yankee stuff. To me there wasn't much difference between Texans & Nu Yawkas at the time, both being proud, self-reliant and strong minded/stubborn:wink: The Damn Yankees had an edge on arrogance.

But as time went by, the NYers embraced big government and lost their self reliance:eyepop:to where I now feel more Texan than a Nu Yawker, though I can never be a true Texan:facepalm:

I moved from the Bronx/Yonkers to Texas in 1974. Yeh, got all the Damn Yankee stuff. To me there wasn't much difference between Texans & Nu Yawkas at the time, both being proud, self-reliant and strong minded/stubborn:wink: The Damn Yankees had an edge on arrogance.

But as time went by, the NYers embraced big government and lost their self reliance:eyepop:to where I now feel more Texan than a Nu Yawker, though I can never be a true Texan:facepalm:

You've always seemed like more of an Ohioan to me.

You've always seemed like more of an Ohioan to me.

I have been to Ohio only once. I went to the "Gathering of Mustangs & Legend's" airshow at Columbus in 07. All the locals I met were very friendly, Can not say anything bad from my experience. Had some friends that went to Dayton to visit the AF Museum on the way back to Texas. Again they commented on the friendly & knowledgeable volunteers at the museum. So I guess I will take that as a complement :wink:

To get this thread back on track, I understand the concern's and complants that are posted on this thread. But most, like the ads don't bother me, and the ones that do, well I will take my mom's advice at this point and time, "If you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut!" :sigh:

Back