Deep in the heart of Pluto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
One of the interesting features on Pluto is the light-colored heart-shaped region.

925008_1_0728-pluto-heart_standard

A large part of the "heart" is tentatively named the Tombaugh Regio. It's as wide as Texas and full of interesting features, including vast glaciers of methane, nitrogen and carbon monoxide ice that flow and spread like glaciers here on Earth. Part of the ice-field is called the Sputnik Planum, and the dark patch bordering the bottom is the Cthulhu Regio.

Here is an article about the region: https://spaceflightnow.com/2015/07/28/the-heart-of-pluto-in-high-resolution/

In honor of the Texas-sized heart-shaped feature on Pluto, I am starting a song about it, based on "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and I invite to add lyrics if you like.

Deep in the Heart of Pluto

The plains of ice -- are big and nice
Deep in the heart of Pluto!
The methane snow -- is deep you know

The glaciers flow -- like pizza dough
They slide and glide -- from side to side

Take it away, TRF!

For all the Pee-we Herman fans-

I want to go -- to the Alamo
And there you'll find -- a basement prime

This will come in handy for the upcoming Pee-Wee's Pluto Adventure movie.

Maybe there will be more inspiration if we put in the claps?

The Sputnik Plain -- gets poison rain
(Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!)
The atmosphere -- smells like stale beer

I just read that NASA has informally named two mountain ranges on Pluto for Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary. The ranges are the Norgay Montes and the Hillary Montes.

Some interesting tidbits about the two men and their climb:
They were the first two people to reach the top of Mount Everest, but the team consisted of over 400 people (362 porters and 20 sherpas) and 10,000 pounds of baggage.
For many years neither man would say who actually stepped on the summit first as they said they did it as a team. Years later, Tenzing Norgay said that Edmund Hillary went first.
Hillary took a photo of Norgay at the summit, but Norgay had never used a camera so no photo of Hilary on the summit was taken. Norgay offered to try, but Hillary declined.
Mr. Norgay never knew the exact date of his birth, but was able to determine it was in late May. The two men reached the summit of Everest on 29 May, so this became the date that Mr. Norgay celebrated as his birthday for the remainder of his life.
Following his ascent of Everest, Hillary devoted most of his life to helping the Sherpa people of Nepal through the Himalayan Trust, which he founded. Through his efforts, many schools and hospitals were built in Nepal.
In 1985 Edmund Hilary accompanied Neil Armstrong in a small twin-engined ski plane over the Arctic Ocean and landed at the North Pole. He thus became the first person to stand at both the North and South Poles and on the summit of Everest.

The Mountain range -- looks awfully strange
Hillary snapped a pic -- of Norgay quick

Once upon a time, there used to be nine.
Neil Degrasse can kiss my asse.

Back