Quick Fliskits Corona Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClusterBomb

Reaction score
Hello, All!

Just began my Fliskits Corona build. It looks like a very nice kit, and I bought the baffle accessory as well. Just need some advice: I am considering buying the booster stage, and I read that if you want to add on the booster, don't paint the main fin tube. I don't know if I am going to order the booster stage just yet, but in case I change my mind in the future, would it be a real issue if the main rocket's fin tube was painted? Would the booster not fit right? If this is the case, I will decide faster :D.

Thanks very much, this looks like a very high quality kit.

-CB

I think it will be too tight of a fit if paint the outside of the fin tube and then try to slide the booster on over it. Also, I believe the instructions say to leave the motor hook off if you are going to use the booster.

The tube fin on the Corona is a piece of BT60 coupler. The forward ring on the booster is a regular piece of BT60, so paint on the coupler would make for a very tight fit. You can color the coupler with a sharpie to keep a proper fit. I would definitely recommend building it with the booster, it's an elegant model with simple, but beautiful lines.

Ok, thanks all. I will skip the paint on the ring. What about a little clear coat? Will that do any damage regarding fit?

I left mine plain. I also missed the part about not putting in th engine hook if you are going to use the booster. Not easy to cut it out. Then, after a couple of launches, the booster motor kicked out and left the booster behind. Still flew , but now have a well ventilated booster. Takes a little more tape to hold the motor in, but works Ok.

Ok, thanks very much! Can I ask how you painted it? I was thinking a sort of "sunset" scheme with Blue, orange, and matte silver.

Here's a picture after painting. The speckled look is just a clogged spray nozzle that produced a somewhat unique look, so I just finished it like that once I started. (solid is panther pink, speckles is rich plum (same as the Art Applewhite Helix, next to it) The other picture is after the booster section stuck around for the sustainer burn, cleaned up a bit. The sunset scheme sounds pretty cool too. Post pics when you are done.

100_1794.jpg

100_1412a.jpg

Here's a picture after painting. The speckled look is just a clogged spray nozzle that produced a somewhat unique look, so I just finished it like that once I started. (solid is panther pink, speckles is rich plum (same as the Art Applewhite Helix, next to it) The other picture is after the booster section stuck around for the sustainer burn, cleaned up a bit. The sunset scheme sounds pretty cool too. Post pics when you are done.

Very nice! I had the same "speckled" look happen on my old Comanche-3 (which met an unfortunate end). I'll have some pics in a week or so, my paint supply is running thin.

I did paint the sustainer ring fin on mine. Then spent quite a bit of time sanding everything off so that the booster could easily separate. I wouldn't paint the sustainer ring fin if I was to build another one.

Well, I painted it too, I figure I don't wanna lose it, it turned out nicely and a booster engine pack is just another thing I have to buy.

Anyway painting in the "sunset scheme" is done. Not quite originally what I planned (looks like the german flag in a way lol), but still looks pretty neat. Ill put some pics up tomorrow after it dries and I can clear coat it.

Done!

2e3csba.jpg

25yx3kh.jpg

xmmowp.jpg

Edit: IDK why they are crooked. Sorry!

Last edited:
Nice looking rocket! Quite a nice fleet behind it, too. I've got a Black Star Voyager waiting for assembly, but I am kind of leery about trying it.

Though your question has been answered, I figured I'd pipe in myself :).

First, the fin ring on the Corona is a CPL-70 (not 60) and the tube rings on the booster are BT-70 and BT-101

Painting the tail ring does create tightness problems, so is not recommended. If you HAVE already painted it, vigorous sanding, or replacement is recommended.

If you've already built the Corona with an engine hook, it's a simple matter to break off the end of the hook with a pair of needle nosed pliers (as called out in the booster instructions.)

Hope this helps!

Back