Welding in Space

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welding in space is impossible because there's nothing for the sparks to push against.

:rofl:

Here is the biggest problem that I see with the entire article:
The hope is that by building a sturdier ship the first time around, the difficulties of welding in space can be avoided by simply making emergency repairs unlikely and unnecessary.

The assumption is that the only need humans would have to weld in space is to repair the spacecraft. While that is certainly important, it completely ignores the planning that is being done for constructing large structures (spacecraft and otherwise) in orbit. Everything isn't always going to fit together like LEGOs.

Just thinking out loud........hmmmm

1) They state - "Processes that rely on carefully balanced shielding gases would also be difficult to manage, as gasses behave differently in zero gravity and airless environments."
But, the processes dont "require" shielding gasses ........the shielding gasses are to protect the weld metal FROM our atmosphere. YEah there is arc stability that comes into the conversation as well.....

2) Interesting they say the quality was similar to that done in gravity here.....when the weld is a molten puddle of liquid metal. Definitely makes you think at least with the stick process a 6010 type electrode was used...(?). But I suppose we weld 4G , 5G overhead and the weld puddle is still controllable so maybe there is not as much importance that gravity "hold" puddles down.....

Anyway , it was interesting for sure thanks for sharing

Welding in space would be easier than on earth in some respects, as you don't have an atmosphere to keep out of the weld.

Welding in space would be easier than on earth in some respects, as you don't have an atmosphere to keep out of the weld.

The discussion switch between welding inside the space craft to outside the space craft.
If you are arc welding you need some gas for the electric arc to ionize for a stable arc.
Laser welding does not require any gas for ionization so it would work in a vacuum and
in an atmosphere but in an atmosphere you would need some shielding gas to keep the
metal from oxidizing. Does the ISS use a pure oxygen atmosphere or a blend?

Don't know about the atmosphere on the ISS. I'd be skeptical that laser welding would be a good all around method of welding, as it doesn't seem practical for manual use. I would think that MIG, TIG, and PAW would predominate.

OK... Show of hands... How many thought that the title of the thread was Wedding in Space?

Still it's a form of joinery. :wink:

Back