MMMSC Launch, Aug 1, 2015 Berwick ME

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guywad

Reaction score
Who is coming and what are you planning to fly? Hope to try out the prototype relay box with the MMMSC launch controller. It has worked nicely with the CMASS controller at the last two launches.

Scott - what time is setup?

I likely won't be on the field until about 10 AM. If nothing else I'll be flying my "Remedial Studies" on an E and/or F motor.

I'll be there, but it looks like it might be a scorcher. Everybody bring your sunscreen and lots of water!

Hello Kenn

I tried to send you a P.M but for some reason its not going through. I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer for me.

Is there an alternative ?

Thanks
Tom

Hello Kenn

I tried to send you a P.M but for some reason its not going through. I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer for me.

Is there an alternative ?

Thanks
Tom

Tom,

I got two PMs from you but when I went to reply, it said your box was at its limit. You'll need to delete some messages before you can send/receive any more.

Jason will have a good supply of CTI motors but you can try contacting them through their website if you need something specific. I'll be getting there about 11 or so and we can talk then.
Kenn

I am planning on flying an L2 attempt on an Aerotech J270W, a newly-painted and DD-enabled rocket on an H250, and my Wildman V2 Sport on a G53. Should be lots of fun!

You will need to find a current NAR L2 certified member to witness your flight. That should not be a problem, but at least one witness needs to be a least NAR L2 (I am only L1). Also, make sure you have your current NAR membership card to prove you are a current NAR L1 member. The NAR office frowns upon us signing off on the paperwork if your membership is not current (ask me how I know). If you have not taken the L2 test yet, we can administer the test for you. If you have, you need to have that test with you for proof. Good luck on your attempt!

Guy.

I may come up. The bulk of my fleet is currently en route back from NARAM, so I may not have much to fly, but seeing Kenn actually launch a rocket of his own might be worth the trip.

Ouch.
Not my best day out on the field! My L2 failed to deploy the main, which I now believe happened because the battery holder might have broken free of the sled at the drogue charge and been disconnected by the movement, preventing the main charge from firing. That would explain the lack of event and also why the altimeter does not appear to have recorded an apogee altitude. This didn't happen during the ground test, but maybe the holder was loosened by the ground test and broke free now. I tried to take that in stride and fly my other planned flight, but with that flight I had the opposite problem and my main came out with the apogee event. I ground tested the rocket without paint, so maybe the amount of shear tape that worked then was not correct for the now-smooth surface. In any case, the rocket drifted much further than it did on a previous flight on the same size engine, and though it looked like it landed in a recoverable spot, an hour or so of searching came up dry and I am now down a rocket, casing, and altimeter. If anyone finds a 6' long yellow and orange rocket somewhere near the peas or the swamp, I would be very happy!

On the positive side, my L2 rocket is not damaged except for a few cracks in the paint so it will definitely fly again in the fall, and I got videos of many liftoffs with my GoPro that I left by the HPR pads. I will be cutting that down and uploading it soon!

Just a quick note to all who attended. Thank you !!! I had a great time and got alot of needed exercise.

I appreciated the hospitality from everyone I meet today. What an AWESOME Field.. Well WELL worth the long drive.

Range Officers, LCO, ECT.. what a bunch of first class rocketeers.. Very Professional....And very safe...

I was able to get my level 1 cert today thanks to you guys.. Much Much appreciated.

Finally... Im able to update my Profile. :D

NAR #212312
Level 1
8/1/15

Andrew- Sorry to hear that your L2 didn't go as planned! I am sure that the next one will be textbook-perfect.

Hopefully my schedule will change and I can make it to a launch in 2015. So far, all of the launch weekends have fallen on weekend when I have other commitments. My fleet of rockets is just gathering dust.....

[video=youtube;W9FUZpL3OVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FUZpL3OVw[/video]

Here is my video taken from behind pad 8. Watch at 1080p for best results.

Back